Tuning 101 - Thread Merged with Injector Posts

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Great info,

A little disappointed because talking to Baumann guy with USShift we talked about PCS and he was confident they could not do it.
Hope he wasn't leading me astray on purpose.

Charles

Reaction score
I am extremely confident the PCS will kick it on after 4th as a double over. 99.999%.

And I bet you could also split gears with it.... just don't know how good those shifts would feel. Might feel like the 5, 6 and 10R garbage transmission shifts. Stacking shifts one atop the other is why the 4R feels sooooooooo good on shifts. NO RELEASE.....

FULL throttle INSTANT shift...

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Also.... don't know what the max input torque is on the GV.... but I bet you could get it unhappy engaging it in lower gears.
The GV operates off oil pressure, of course, but the pump is driven by the output shaft.

So you need ground speed to build pressure. I can't remember what GV said like don't operate below 30mph or 20 mph but with the pump driven like that you can understand the reasoning behind it.

I have never seen any reason in my application for splitting gears. The only thing I have noticed is the ratio is a little better than the factory OD for towing. So when towing I would often shut the Factory OD off and run the GV.
There is a big jump between 3rd and 4th in the E4OD or 4R but the GV is not quite as big of a jump.

Anymore it really is just a toy to try and get the rpms and engine noise down at 70mph plus. 20 years ago you were not holding up traffic at 70mph. Now you are in the way.

It is not required at all, just trying to make a more enjoyable ride and drive out of the old 7.3

Charles

Reaction score
If you did 1-2, lock, 2 over 3, 3 over, 4, 4 over You just did 8 solid ratio changes.

As for the pressure...... might be interesting to disable the pump and route fluid pressure from the 4R.... then it would be pressure controlled with all the other shifts. Then adjust the orifice in the GV appropriately so it shifts like the 4R at similar epc values...

Now I'm getting intrigued myself!

Latest posts

Members online