Tuning for a Cam

Stroked777

Reaction score
the cam is a river city diesel cam .405 lift 182/196 duration, i was wonder what changes would have to be made to make the cam benefical, right not after the cam was done the truck takes longer to light the turbos and the truck hazes at all boost levels, im only seeing ebp of 19 and at 10 psi, before it was alot hight, any thought

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I believe that the cam should help with spool up since there is suppose to be less valve overlap which is going to drive the chargers harder.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Is your turbo sticking? It just seems weird that your only seeing 19psi ebp and its smokey. My truck was seeing high ebp and was smokey when the ebp sensor sh*t the bed. But it just seems like yours is trying to run off the atmosphere and not use the vgt. Did you check the plug that goes to the vgt and make sure the vgt is working? It might be worth a shot. And does it ever "light" the turbos at all?

Stroked777

Reaction score
No my turbo isn't sticking, the vgt arm moves freely. It's a smooth power curve all the way up to the top end, it all has to do with the cam changing valve over lap causing back pressure and stuff to change. I wanna know what I gotta do to compensate for it

madman1234509

Reaction score
You shouldnt need any special tuning for a "stage 1" cam regrind. Id see high 40s sometimes if i was lucky 50 psi of boost, ebp should be right up there as well, i believe with my Dash Daq warning set on 75 psi of ebp total including atmospheric pressure of 14.6 I could make the alarm sound

What tune are you running currently?

Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
Can you explain more what exhaust back pressure readings youre getting and when. At what point are you seeing 19psi ebp. That is kind of confusing me. With a tune like the kem310 which isnt that companies biggest race tune id imagine it should be cleaner then what you describe. Sounds like you either have a leak of some sort, or a sensor is bad causing you to not be running as high of boost and ebp as you should be.

If you keep having problems id post up in the regular aftermarket section, but i dont think its your cam.

Also do you have stock up pipes and manifolds, and when you recently did your stud job did you place your fuel rail pressure sensor or ebp sensor? Not that you had to, just curious.

madman1234509

Reaction score
So like cruising down the street at a steady pace? What are you monitoring your ebp with? If its a DashDaq make sure its absolute ebp not desired. Def get a video if you can. I never noticed major changes with my boost or ebp with my cam in my 08 maybe 1 or 2 psi tops. But the truck ran just as hard, if not harder with the cam and springs then it did without and put down 517 with it with 250-300 rpm of transmission slip on spartans 310 tune.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
you need to be a little more specific on this stuff

EBP at idle should only about 1 or 2 psi above absolute at best.

If your watching desired back pressure throw thoughs numbers out the door

also report back your vgt duty cycle at thoughs conditions as well.

Stroked777

Reaction score
I have a mini maxx so that's what I'm using to monitor everything. I can't check duty cycle. I been talking to Matt at gearhead about cam tuning and as soon as I get the core refund back for the cam I will be getting MCC tunes and I'll just mess around and tweak it until something works

Stroked777

Reaction score
you need to be a little more specific on this stuff

EBP at idle should only about 1 or 2 psi above absolute at best.

If your watching desired back pressure throw thoughs numbers out the door

also report back your vgt duty cycle at thoughs conditions as well.

That's about what I get at idle between 2-3 And sometimes says 1 psi boost when running but koeo it says 0. I'll get get a video

madman1234509

Reaction score
So are you accelerating and only seeing 19psi of ebp? Sorry for so many questions, if you could try to expain what throttle position and what conditions you are seeing these readings at

Latest posts

Members online