H&S 6.4 single install and review

travisH3

Reaction score
alrighty got time to throw the turbo on today. went together decently. truck is low miles so didnt really have any issues getting the old stuff off. hardest part is getting the up pipe to turbo bolts off. I sprayed them down good a day before to help break everything loose.

Instructions were okay. we ended up not draining the coolant, basically pushing fuel cooler and vgt cooler to the side and then when the time came just swapped coolant lines really quick and only lost a cup or so of coolant, we didnt pull battery tray or degas bottle obviously since we didnt drain the coolant. didnt see the need too. the instructions were not really thorough on the fuel cooler brackets when going back together, follow down through the pictures and you will see how we used them, not sure if we used them correctly but we made it work. tried to take as many pictures as possible going through the process. we also did not mess with taking loose the down pipe. it ended up lining up perfect with just a little persuasion. fitment of everything was pretty much spot on. turbo sounds pretty awesome thats for sure

Im gonna hold off on how i feel how the truck drives, I have been waiting on gearhead to get me my tune since last week and finally made the phone call yesterday to get the ball rolling. i had to call again today and said they were working on it and i have it in a couple hours and still dont have the tune so right now Im running my same custom tunes for the stock turbos and hoping new tunes will liven it back up.

initial drive thoughts,
EBP- pretty much 1:1 ratio, i think its a little better than stock
EGT- cruising its the same as stock but getting on it it definitely gets a little hotter

those will prolly change once i get my tunes. i will get better videos and more pictures once I get the engine bay cleaned up too. Its raining really bad all day today and 5-7 inches of snow tomorrow so hopefully get the gopro out this weekend and let er rip for a good review.

pic heavy

EF728E7E-4587-4333-9F83-F70DDAFADAD0_zpseeov7bf2.jpg

DB92BD61-71DD-4C41-A94A-856267FADC61_zpshzzbn0aq.jpg

2647139D-C8AD-4BEF-B2FD-0B82F44B0847_zpszbgrgyws.jpg

E1AF4B6D-EC91-4A64-A91F-2F3035119B36_zpsxbur9xcp.jpg

095BC5E6-B5F9-4058-A22F-CC99B3AC044B_zpsdzyscyas.jpg

3B9BE452-C02D-4F1A-B220-25DC73CAC4F8_zpsdwpctbjz.jpg

5B171727-EBA4-4995-AF5B-99A22E663D5E_zpsmayz8pmo.jpg

F42A04D7-0DDD-45C7-857B-2C6AD80350E0_zpsgf5xhryn.jpg

5A442EA0-1E9A-4FFE-9EE9-D25266784D8A_zpszcp7lkrr.jpg

DBC07592-3D17-492C-B8D6-066AA9812D8D_zpsfdgsk7oy.jpg

906AB6C2-D4BF-46AD-BBF2-8C8276DDD61C_zpsyob3gr3o.jpg

489F0F19-FF9E-450F-A175-66FAE2EE9B3E_zpsgviz7nzu.jpg

27EBE5DB-262A-41A3-9622-8476015977DB_zpsm4niacup.jpg

459FCFE8-25CF-492E-B945-BA22F43710F7_zpsjrwmzeab.jpg

FB682CF6-0004-4FF5-8D18-54A01AC87820_zpsvluatvwk.jpg

57AF4BAC-BA0E-41B7-AA31-A6B3D648F593_zpsgbea***l.jpg

0CDB2494-7334-42A1-A49C-EF7F600506CF_zpswniqtkej.jpg

B7E66E0A-0649-4423-8E0B-19DE614282D8_zpszpja9mfp.jpg

DFE6AC70-D74E-469B-84E7-58383EBD774E_zpsmlevqnh9.jpg

equalizier

Reaction score
awesome work man very very nice and detailed.what kind of numbers with this set up and at what boost levels.

HS-MotorsportsZane

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up and pics! We tried to make the directions as easy as possible for everyone, even though all of us have our own way of doing things:) I'm sure you'll love that thing once you get the custom calibrations in it, we really love ours over the factory junk. We'll also see if we can get some better pics in there for the fuel cooler brackets. Thanks again!

Black AOD

Reaction score
I'm so dang jealous. Good write up and nice truck, sounds nasty! :thumbsup:

equalizier

Reaction score
was that bottom bolt where you bolt the compressor to the turbine housing was it
hell to get to.when you put the kit in i noticed the turbo was apart do you have to put it together like that or can you put the turbo completely together and then drop it in.i said it once and i will say it again you did an awesome job man.what kind of power do you think it's going to lay down just a ball park.i know you said you just got a tune and said you would post some more later today but i thought i'd go ahead and ask.how is the spool how if any at all laggy is it.

from beginning to end how long did it take you to do the job.oh one more thing if a man were to remove those filter housings that would free up a lot of real estate for another lol.

travisH3

Reaction score
was that bottom bolt where you bolt the compressor to the turbine housing was it
hell to get to.when you put the kit in i noticed the turbo was apart do you have to put it together like that or can you put the turbo completely together and then drop it in.i said it once and i will say it again you did an awesome job man.what kind of power do you think it's going to lay down just a ball park.i know you said you just got a tune and said you would post some more later today but i thought i'd go ahead and ask.how is the spool how if any at all laggy is it.

from beginning to end how long did it take you to do the job.oh one more thing if a man were to remove those filter housings that would free up a lot of real estate for another lol.

With the 90 degree wrenches it makes it easier to get at. We felt it was easier to make sure everything was lined up going in the truck in pieces. Instructions show turbo going in as one. Power wise I feel I've lost power. Gearheads tunes don't feel very good so I'm loading up H&s files when I leave work. We will see. I don't want to give feedback too soon before I get my engine files worked out.

Install depends on how your up pipe bolts come out going into the stock charges. Like I said I soaked mine down a day in advance and they came right out. If you already have your EBP rerouted with that crossover doc removed. Then the install would take 3-4 if I had to guess. We kept having to stop for customers and ran to get a new tap when I rerouted the EBP and we couldn't find the tap so it all just depends. Install would be cut down second time around like always

08Monster

Reaction score
I used a 6 point straight wrench and a pry bar to break them loose, than a stubby ratchet wrench to spin them out. Wasn't too bad than. That was also with no heat or spray.

HS-MotorsportsZane

Reaction score
Let us know what you think when the other calibration's are downloaded. The engine definitely didn't loose power, the power band may have changed in the rpm band a little switching to a single non vgt. The 6.4 here picked up a good gain with the turbo system in all the testing we did.
Thanks again for the feedback and write up again! Don't hesitate to call us if you have any questions. Thanks.

Nick284

Reaction score
i remember you wanted a single awhile ago lol. glad you got one! i ran gear head for over a year, thinking it was the best it could be. i now switched to the "byall" tunes. couple guys are using him. hes on facebook, responds quick, and will adjust anything for you pretty much within a day. hes been awesome for me. i like driving my truck better now with his tunes, seems to spool faster. is more smokey, but can control it if you wanted. id say try him or innovative out. nothing against gear head, his tunes smokes less and people love his tunes also. but to each is own

HS-MotorsportsZane

Reaction score

The turbocharger does come assembled and clocked in the correct position so you can just install it as one complete assembly without having to adjust it. Like I said before, we all have our own ways of doing things:)

getstroked27

Reaction score
Why arent you guys using the calibrations from H&S? i have used a few different tuners stuff before they came out with their tune and the second i switched the truck came alive. especially now being at altitude. really lively setup. i am glad to see more and more people running this setup.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.