Truck decided it needed to vent!!!

tbsimmons

Reaction score
After washing the truck yesterday I started the truck and heard a pop followed by an air compressor sound. I thought I had blown another up pipe or something. Well that was not it. The truck decided it needed a vent hole where the glow plug went for the passenger side rear cylinder.
No codes, was not running different before, nothing out of the ordinary.
So got it towed to the shop since just I am going back to work for a long hitch and dont have the time to do the work myself.
Few questions:
What are the chances the injector stuck open and I only popped the glow plug and not a piston.
If its a piston all are getting changed along with a few other things for reliability.

Thanks.

CAT35niner

Reaction score
I've popped two glow plugs out of the bodies in the past. Wasn't due to anything internal. Atleast I didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Put two new ones in and it was fine afterwards. Haven't popped one out since. Might just be a coincidence with yours.

webb06

Reaction score
Does it have blow by? Sounds like it cracked a piston to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Just out of the glow plug hole. The normal blow by out of the CCV hose actually had nothing which I thought was odd and made me think piston. Just was trying to be optimistic. But hey at least the truck will be bullet proofed even more now if a piston is gone.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I've popped two glow plugs out of the bodies in the past. Wasn't due to anything internal. Atleast I didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Put two new ones in and it was fine afterwards. Haven't popped one out since. Might just be a coincidence with yours.

That what j am hoping. They are going to scope that cylinder and let me know.

CAT35niner

Reaction score
That what j am hoping. They are going to scope that cylinder and let me know.

That's exactly what I did and no issues with the Pistons. Hopefully yours has no issued as well.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I have done some reading and I have found many threads that the glow plug itself comes out and the part that screws in the head says put.
If I would have know this before having the truck towed I would have tried a glow plug myself.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I have done some reading and I have found many threads that the glow plug itself comes out and the part that screws in the head says put.
If I would have know this before having the truck towed I would have tried a glow plug myself.

Crossing my fingers for ya buddy.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Well since the engine is fine I figured since I planned on spending a chunk of money I would spend some of it. Called Morgan for a tranny and TC along with ******** for the tunes. Should be fun now since all I could tow on was the tow tune from ********** because anything higher would start pushing through either the TC clutch or the OD clutches.
Both are great guys to work with and easy to talk with. If you on the fence about it just call and talk with them.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Thanks. I am glad also. Morgan told me that after I drive with this tranny that I am going to be wondering why I didn't do it earlier.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Well finally got everything installed. I am in my 6th week at work but will have sometime to go pick the truck up either today or tomorrow. Towing on Sunday. New trans and TC should be great.

Latest posts

Members online