VGT off?

Stroked777

Reaction score
has anyone messed with this setting and still have compounds? in the engine file turbo>values>variable turbo ON/OFF, will that just make it so the vanes dont move? im just curious

Stroked777

Reaction score
Yes it will disable the vanes from moving. It will be laggy if you do this

yeah i figured i was just curious, i might try it and see if it has a nice rumble at idle, i have heard a few tunes where its got a deep tone at idle and when you giver her some throttle it will be normal again, i kinda wanna do that, tired of it sounding like a whoosh of air at idle

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I messed with this but i didn't play around too much but i think if you go to turbo>values>minimum torque for back pressure monitoring, you can adjust the lowest torque to say 100ft/lbs and then the vgt won't try to work to keep your back pressure in check(at idle). Then you can go to the vane control table and open them up to like 5% or 2% at your set idle speed and that should help the sound some. Just kinda thinking out loud here.

mike@haller's

Reaction score
set the desired back pressure table to 0 psi up to 1k rpm. then set vane position tables up to 1k rpm to 0%. the vanes will kick open at idle then close and resume normal operation after 1k rpm. I did this on my drag truck and it sounds pretty cool.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
set the desired back pressure table to 0 psi up to 1k rpm. then set vane position tables up to 1k rpm to 0%. the vanes will kick open at idle then close and resume normal operation after 1k rpm. I did this on my drag truck and it sounds pretty cool.

It definitely has a deeper rumble of a tone without the air plane hiss when you do this. Now add a bit of a lope on top of that and it starts to sound cool lol.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
A lope on a 6.4? Not a good idea. It isn't good on injectors at all.:doh:

Why do you say this? This debate has been had many times and its been said the lope doesn't cause any problems. Mine runs fine. What's your theory ?

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Why do you say this? This debate has been had many times and its been said the lope doesn't cause any problems. Mine runs fine. What's your theory ?

It has also been said that it does cause problems. So which side do you prefer? There has to be a reason that the big name tuners doesn't make a lope tune and that RCD quit making theirs. It is a lot of timing retardation with high fuel delivery right?

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
Don't use a lope tune. Besides the fact that they are gay as hell. Many tuners have come out and said they know of damage caused by a lope tune. None of the REPUTABLE tuners will write them anymore. There was a huuuge discussion on here about lope tunes a while back and it ended up that lope tunes hurt motors. Cylinder wash is among one of the problems.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I think tuners come out and say it causes damage so that people will quit asking for them.

It's no different than tapping your foot on the accelerator pedal and equally as lame

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I think tuners come out and say it causes damage so that people will quit asking for them.

It's no different than tapping your foot on the accelerator pedal and equally as lame

That's an lfpm...

Loapy for peddle mod lol.

Loap tunes stuck imho and I think I actually could be somewhat hard on the pistons and cylinder washing

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
I was told RCD quit making there's because they used an SCT platform and they had trouble with it throwing codes. I made mine with H&S and never had any problems. I agree that's its not the coolest thing since sliced bread but I've yet to see any evidence that it causes problems. I think a lot of people that don't like them just say its hard on a motor to justify there reasoning for not liking something.

Will@Rudy'sDiesel

Reaction score
A lope tune not hard on an engine??? A lope is not only the gayest thing since barney but its terrible on injectors, there is no way that it could be. And like dzchey21 said it has to but it has to he rough on an engine.

TD-5

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has played with the Vane position control % & the desired back pressure tables and had positive results.
Most of us have deleted our EGR systems at some point. Part of the design theory behind VGT is the ability to create a high exhaust back pressure to ensure positive EGR flow under higher engine load conditions to meet emissions standards. We no longer require this. Is it possible to alter these settings, lowering the exhaust back pressure & improving efficiency, while retaining acceptable performance from the HP turbo in off idle/low load conditions?

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
A lope tune not hard on an engine??? A lope is not only the gayest thing since barney but its terrible on injectors, there is no way that it could be. And like dzchey21 said it has to but it has to he rough on an engine.

would love to hear the theory on how a lope tune is any harder on the engine than bouncing your foot on the pedal since that's essentially what's happening...

rail pressure isn't spiking through the moon or anything, you'll just tricking the computer to hunt for ideal load and it just sits there and bumps the throttle over and over... not going to hurt anything, just queer as a football bat

Stroked777

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has played with the Vane position control % & the desired back pressure tables and had positive results.
Most of us have deleted our EGR systems at some point. Part of the design theory behind VGT is the ability to create a high exhaust back pressure to ensure positive EGR flow under higher engine load conditions to meet emissions standards. We no longer require this. Is it possible to alter these settings, lowering the exhaust back pressure & improving efficiency, while retaining acceptable performance from the HP turbo in off idle/low load conditions?

I'm curious to about this. Or if this is what turn writers alreadyd do and stake into account

TD-5

Reaction score
Comparing the stock file tables to the tuned file tables, they have made changes from the mid torque area & 1600 rpm up.
I took the tuned files & reduced everthing by 50% for a trial run.
The truck was less responsive off idle & at low loads, It smoked more in this area also because the back pressure wasn't there to spool up the turbo.. Once the revs & load were up it didn't feel much different. There may be some room for small movements in that area from mid torque/mid rpm up, but whether that would translate into positive improvements in performance or efficiency..... ???
Without a WHOLE bunch of long term testing its all just seat of the pants.
At the end of the day I'm back on the tuned files.

Attachments

• ebp tuner.jpg
    ebp tuner.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 191
  • ebp factory.jpg
    ebp factory.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 163
  • ebp custom.jpg
    ebp custom.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 174

Latest posts

Members online