lifting cab without lift??

08Monster

Reaction score
I plan on digging farther into the engine, so I'll be doing cab off. I wanna do pistons and what not while I'm in there.

White_monster

Reaction score
You can pull the engine with the cab on.

20140622_212126.jpg

02bigstrokin

Reaction score
We just pulled a 6.4 cab at work last week with a service truck crane. Put straps around both sides of radiator support and one strap through BACK doors. We ran the strap between the door and cab not through window. Not that bad

nickg9785

Reaction score
I live in Florida like you and if your truck is a true Florida truck the uppipe bolts are a breeze. After I got mine out I was wondering what the big deal was but then I remembered growing up in Michigan and the wonderful joys of rust.
good thing my truck is from florida. hoping they come out easy

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
you guys realize that you need to add 30-40% to any time frame white monster gives you? LOL

there is a reason he's known as a master of cab on work.

but no, it dont take long at all.

08Monster

Reaction score
Anyone have a write up on that? I'd be all over pulling the engine if its quicker and easier!!

08Monster

Reaction score
If I don't have a lift, how do you propose I do that? Not all of us own a shop man.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
crane, fork lift, skid loader, material handler, excavator, depending on the height of your building, you can put a chain hoist over head on a beam, depending on how motivated you are and how badly you need it off, we pulled a truck under a tree and used a tree limb as a overhead anchor point.

in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't have to come all the way off and set to the side or the frame pushed out from under it. it has to go up far enough to get the motor out, then you can set it back down to "store" it while your working on the motor. doing it that way will make lining it back up easier.

you just need a little afro-ingenuity.

Cknox121

Reaction score
If I don't have a lift, how do you propose I do that? Not all of us own a shop man.

Above post

Could rig up couple a frames. Or 6x6 posts and get it a foot or 2 high. It makes working on it so much easier.

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

08Monster

Reaction score
If someone has real life experience doing something like that, kind of a "redneck" cab lift that is SAFE for the cab. I don't even want to try something if there is a chance I drop my cab and total the truck.

B585Ford

Reaction score
If someone has real life experience doing something like that, kind of a "redneck" cab lift that is SAFE for the cab. I don't even want to try something if there is a chance I drop my cab and total the truck.

Not counting Shane, there was another Canadian the pulled the motor without lifting the cab. He went into pretty good detail. I cant remember his exact screen name but starts with a T and he did a single. His thread should be pretty recent cause he posted some of his results from pulling. IIRC Shane gave him a few pointers.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
i have seen all of the above mentioned methods work, and be safe for the cab.

its all in how you lift, what your using for a lift, and how much head room you have, will determine if you need a spreader bar, or how wide of a spreader bar you need.

you give me a list of options you have available your going to use for your lift, and where your going to be doing it (outside or inside and how much headroom) and i'll tell you if you need a spreader bar.

dont get me wrong, if you have the coin, have it done.

if you dont, you make due with what you have to get done what needs to be done.

either gut the front end and pull it out that way, or redneck engineer you a lift and call it a day.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
It's not that hard cab on. Once you get the core support off all the coolers just fall out and then bam total access to the front of the engine. Same with the battery trays when they are out you have total access to the sides of the motor.

08Monster

Reaction score
Does anyone know how much a crew cab weighs? Just whatever you gotta lift off. King Ranch, front and rear captains chairs with counsels. That will determine what I have to lift it

Latest posts

Members online