Midwest Diesel shop truck gets a little upgrade.

Reaction score
Well, the ole 6.4 has had a hard life since we got it. Before we go into the current changes lets go over what it had, has and it's history.

Started off as a truck I bought with a bad tick. It had 170k of highway miles and was owned by a salesman who used it to drive all around for his job. He traded it in because of the knock, which ended up being a lifter. My brother was the one who wanted the truck. He bought it off me and we pulled the engine. At first it got HD pistons, new 03 spec cam, new bearings, lifters, gaskets, seals, studs, HD springs, HD pushrods deletes and a minimax. It ran this way for a little while.

Then it was on to deleting the fuel system and went with an aeromotive pump, sump with custom fuel filters and a full unregulated return. It was ran hard and truck pulled, raced, etc. It ran this way for a little while.

It was then nominated to be the guinea pig for the dual pump kits and also gained a set of 100% nozzles. It ran this way for a little while.

Next it started experiencing trans issues. At this point it was decided to pull the cab. We pulled the cab. It recieved a full billet comp trans and 2400 stall precision converter. And a s475 billet single to go with the fuel that was on tap. It ran this way for a little while.

qemeja6u.jpg

adu8y2er.jpg

It made power. And it was beaten pretty hard. Hard/hot enough that it melted a bellow. It had been pushed past 150 mph and all kinds in between. I was surprised that it held that well. But it needed a change and with the up-pipes coming out and the cab coming up to fix a fuel leak. We decided to make some changes for the better.

We pulled the turbo setup off and here's the list of parts going on.

Oem 6.0 manifolds

6.0 conversion up-pipes.

S300 single kit

S400 compound add on

Mpd ccv

Tial wastegate

uzy9y8er.jpg

tehegy8e.jpg

yvezaqy9.jpg

7u4u6eru.jpg

vyvu2eda.jpg

juba6e8a.jpg

yvegu8a2.jpg

4ademy4a.jpg

ahanysut.jpg

gaba4eva.jpg

yzejasam.jpg

yqeqa2ab.jpg

a4eha2un.jpg

y8eze5eq.jpg

ydy8ujys.jpg

ysetypeh.jpg

a7y8ebu7.jpg

a9e3a3yn.jpg

Was able to keep the down pipe tucked in the wheel well nicely. We aren't trying to set the world on fire with a huge hp number. The goal it to make a quick spooling non vgt compound setup with box chargers that is still capable of towing and possibly 900hp. So with that goal we went with a 60mm hp and a 80mm atmo. I'm very pleased so far. We got it running tonight and it's sounds smooth. I'll get vids soon. Any questions feel free to ask.

I think it's safe to say the shop truck is going to be a lot more useful and a lot more fun!

Last edited:

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
So awesome! Ya'll do such great work there Morgan. I'm not sure if you're ready to release info yet but I'll ask anyway lol. Any idea what the cost will be for your add-a-turbo kit?

Sent from a Cummins plant, driving a Powerstroke, with a TDI on the side!

Reaction score
So awesome! Ya'll do such great work there Morgan. I'm not sure if you're ready to release info yet but I'll ask anyway lol. Any idea what the cost will be for your add-a-turbo kit?

No idea. It will be months before it will be for sale. This is literally the first hand built one. I like the mount and will get more built. Right now I'm looking for a new tube fabrication and welding company to do our tubing work for turbo kits. Until then I won't be able to mass produce any. The same main reason why the 6.7 kit isn't for sale yet.

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
No idea. It will be months before it will be for sale. This is literally the first hand built one. I like the mount and will get more built. Right now I'm looking for a new tube fabrication and welding company to do our tubing work for turbo kits. Until then I won't be able to mass produce any. The same main reason why the 6.7 kit isn't for sale yet.
10-4. I've been wondering how a 62fmw/s483 would do on a 6.4. I thought about doing a single 66 with your kit but I feel like it'll be too laggy for me.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Looks great and sounds awesome. How much weight will this be towing?

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The ultimate goal here was change-ability. That's why we didn't use v-bands. Needs to have enough room for adjustability to fit on different engines and physically sized turbos. Having something that will fit any truck with basically endless possibilities is awesome. You could even go smaller to say a 60-75mm kit or got hog wild with a 66-88 or whatever you want. This thing will end up towing whatever we can hook to it. Gonna have to put a gooseneck in it so we can put 20k behind it and see how it does. With a little care and the correct tune adjustments I see no limit to towing capabilities.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The ultimate goal here was change-ability. That's why we didn't use v-bands. Needs to have enough room for adjustability to fit on different engines and physically sized turbos. Having something that will fit any truck with basically endless possibilities is awesome. You could even go smaller to say a 60-75mm kit or got hog wild with a 66-88 or whatever you want. This thing will end up towing whatever we can hook to it. Gonna have to put a gooseneck in it so we can put 20k behind it and see how it does. With a little care and the correct tune adjustments I see no limit to towing capabilities.

Nice job Morgan looks clean under the hood. Cant wait to see videos of it driving.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The ultimate goal here was change-ability. That's why we didn't use v-bands. Needs to have enough room for adjustability to fit on different engines and physically sized turbos. Having something that will fit any truck with basically endless possibilities is awesome. You could even go smaller to say a 60-75mm kit or got hog wild with a 66-88 or whatever you want.

This is an excellent design priority, that's going to have guys ringing the phone off the hook. Way to keep the fender skirt intact too. Looking forward to seeing how responsive the 60 is, and where/when the 80 comes alive. It's still a dual fueler and 100% nozzles now correct? Are these the cast or fmw box turbos? Turbine housing A/Rs?

Reaction score
Nice job Morgan looks clean under the hood. Cant wait to see videos of it driving.

Thanks

This is an excellent design priority, that's going to have guys ringing the phone off the hook. Way to keep the fender skirt intact too. Looking forward to seeing how responsive the 60 is, and where/when the 80 comes alive. It's still a dual fueler and 100% nozzles now correct? Are these the cast or fmw box turbos? Turbine housing A/Rs?

Yep same fuel system. And I always start with cast out of the box chargers. Because if we make those work well then it only gets better from there.

Did you relocate the battery or remove it completely

Removed for now. When I have time it will get an optima on the frame and new cable routing.

Out of curiosity whats done to the motor on that truck

Stock 170 mile engine that was refreshed, new upgraded valvetrain and stock cyl bores just ball honed and Hd's threw in. The fact that it still holds together is amazing to me. The engine owes us nothing if I blows. I wouldn't blame it.

Reaction score
http://youtu.be/VqnR_c54tGU
"No power" can tune h&s spool vid. 1/4 ish throttle.

http://youtu.be/OhqVgDWoP7c
Slow roll on the "mild tune" little whisp of smoke and then completely clean. Almost wot.

http://youtu.be/ZsQHMaOh4hs
Slow roll to WOT on the "performance" tune. It smokes there. But it's only a can tune. I'm gonna get may to tune it this week. Blew a boot a 60 psi.

This thing spools as effortlessly as I could have ever imagined.

We are only running the gate of spring right now and don't have custom tunes. But da*m I'm excited to see how it runs dialed in. Feels very strong and I'm sure getting a little more from the hp will help. It's only pushing 30ish with the gate set how it is.

capt dong

Reaction score
looks like a quality design. was thinking typical drop in turbo replacements. gonna see how this production goes into full effect.

is there any way to gauge or quantify the spool up? my stock turbos seem to come on instantly with the butt dyno.

Latest posts

Members online