Gear head tunes on SCT x4 questions

Smokin&Strokin

Reaction score
My SCT x4 with gear head tunes just got delivered. I have a banks ram air intake however I am still waiting on my diamond eye 5" turbo back exhaust to be delivered. I am wondering what tunes I will be able to run until I get my exhaust? I loaded the SCT canned street tune on my truck then took it for a test drive and whenever I let off the throttle my truck made a weird noise from the engine bay. What could it be? Possibly in need of a new intake? Thanks in advance

Smokin&Strokin

Reaction score
Hmmm. A weird noise.. Care to possible elaborate on what that weird noise sounds like?

Honestly it's hard to explain and I didn't get the chance to really take a look at it earlier. I'll look into more tomorrow and come back with a better description. It sounded like air was being pushed out or released after letting off the throttle. Maybe I can get a video of it Tomorrow if it's loud enough

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Honestly it's hard to explain and I didn't get the chance to really take a look at it earlier. I'll look into more tomorrow and come back with a better description. It sounded like air was being pushed out or released after letting off the throttle. Maybe I can get a video of it Tomorrow if it's loud enough

If you are talking about turbo "bark" "whoo whoo whoo" when you chop the throttle that's normal 6.4's don't have wastegates, so when you chop the throttle it will be forced back out the air filter and make the sound. If you let out the throttle slowly it won't make the sound.

Last edited:

Smokin&Strokin

Reaction score
If you are talking about turbo "bark" "whoo whoo whoo" when you chop the throttle that's normal 6.4's don't have wastegates, so when you chop the throttle it will be forced back out the air filter and make the sound. If you let out the throttle slowly it won't make the sound.

I've never heard this "bark" prior to loading the street tune. I'll test drive it again and play around with the tuning and come back to you guys

Lipka101

Reaction score
I've never heard this "bark" prior to loading the street tune. I'll test drive it again and play around with the tuning and come back to you guys
You won't hear it on anything less than a street tune. Your truck now moves more air when tuned. When you build lots of boost and let off quickly all of that air/boost has nowhere to go but back the way it came in. Am I right guys?

Latest posts

Members online