new turbo advise

6.6leater

Reaction score
Hello. After years of creeping around PSA and learning a ton about power strokes it is finally time for new turbos. I would really like fact backed opinions on RCD's work stock set up and industrial injection's phatshaft compounds. I have read on here about the II set up from a couple years ago and am wondering if quality has gotten better and if they actually did go to a 59mm HP turbo and if they still use the k31 atmo wheel? On the RCD side of the equation I haven't really read much about them here. Are they a combo of their 72mm atmo and one of there 59mm HP turbos. Any info is greatly appreciated thanks.

johnp115

Reaction score
Hello. After years of creeping around PSA and learning a ton about power strokes it is finally time for new turbos. I would really like fact backed opinions on RCD's work stock set up and industrial injection's phatshaft compounds. I have read on here about the II set up from a couple years ago and am wondering if quality has gotten better and if they actually did go to a 59mm HP turbo and if they still use the k31 atmo wheel? On the RCD side of the equation I haven't really read much about them here. Are they a combo of their 72mm atmo and one of there 59mm HP turbos. Any info is greatly appreciated thanks.

How much fuel are you running?

If you're running stock fuel Id reccomend rcd 72/59 or of YOURE on 30%'s or 60%'s and dual fuelers Id go with the 75/59.

6.6leater

Reaction score
I'm stock fuel running spartan usually on the 300 no real plans to go to more fuel any time soon. Thanks for the quick reply!

6.6leater

Reaction score
Does any one know what HP turbo would work best the 7 vane or the 11. I'm not Ricky Racer mostly just " normal use" or at least as normal as a 6.4 can be haha.

SlowSmoke

Reaction score
7 blades are back ordered at RCD, the 11 blade works well. We build a set using a cast 7 blade on the 59mm HP and they work awesome. I run the Spartan 275 in my truck with our turbos and can barely hit 1300 EGTs

6.6leater

Reaction score
Is there a worth while difference between a billet and cast HP comp wheel? And is the difference between the 11 and 7 even noticeable?

6.6leater

Reaction score
Has anybody used the 72mm and 59mm 11 blade rcd combo? If so how was the spool up and driveability?

6.6leater

Reaction score
I called RCD really nice folks. Darin got me squared away. The 7 vane is all around better for most every body he said. The 11 vane Has too many vanes and actually slows down the air to my understanding. I ordered the turbos from RCD Darrin said that the 72 is in stock and they'll put a 59 together for me. I'll post my thoughts and reaction to the turbos when I get them. Once again I give RCD a cudos for great service!

tbsimmons

Reaction score
You will like them. I have similar ones on my truck and the thing is a beast. Spool quick and will eat the fuel of the race tunes. Trans is not going to be too happy if you drive the truck hard so watch it some.

6.6leater

Reaction score
OK update time, got the turbos on yesterday. I am pretty impressed with them. That is when they light. They seem kind of sluggish to light. Normally cruising at 60 I am at about 8 psi boost now I'm at 3 to 4 and @ 75 on level ground around 8 instead of the normal 10. I have p2263 now which I suspect has something to do with the afore mentioned low boost. My koeo ebp was right around 13.7 i know it's supposed to be around 14 and my map koeo is says 14 when I'm driving my back pressure demanded is always 14 less than the reading. My vgtdc moves around so I know that the actuator isn't fried it starts out at 95.001 and changes according to load as is expected. Any ideas? I replaced the ebp sensor and tube right before my head gaskets went out 6mo ago fwiw. Thanks

TRUBBS

Reaction score

6.6leater

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking too, hopefully HP releases the 6.4 soon so I can get in on this tuning bandwagon.

Latest posts

Members online