Possible oil consumption a very very slight haze in my exhasust

mharring

Reaction score
A friend pointed out that at idle he could see a slight haze in my exhaust. It was adout 40 degrees. Couldn't tell what color it is it does seem to be running a little ritch. Still runs fine. Im fully ******d and have a tachyon tuner on it. S partan tuner in my glove box just not installed yet. It does have a new fuel system on it less than 8000 miles. I am approaching my oil change life. Does this engine have pyromiters on each cylinder that can be checked for EGTs? Could also be the turbo seals failing i guess as well. Oil level is full so unless i pull the elbow on the turbo and i see nothing I really dont know how tho check the rings and or compression?? Any ideas

6fodays

Reaction score
A friend pointed out that at idle he could see a slight haze in my exhaust. It was adout 40 degrees. Couldn't tell what color it is it does seem to be running a little ritch. Still runs fine. Im fully ******d and have a tachyon tuner on it. S partan tuner in my glove box just not installed yet. It does have a new fuel system on it less than 8000 miles. I am approaching my oil change life. Does this engine have pyromiters on each cylinder that can be checked for EGTs? Could also be the turbo seals failing i guess as well. Oil level is full so unless i pull the elbow on the turbo and i see nothing I really dont know how tho check the rings and or compression?? Any ideas

Your heading says oil consumption. But it says your oil is full here.....just trying to see if you're actually losing/burning oil.....but a haze can be caused from anything, turbo/injectors/internal problems....find someone with ids and they can run a relative compression test on the cylinders and a complete fuel system test....Its the only true way to test it....you can also jump the starter with the key off and listen to different variations in cranking speed...a miss could mean low compression in a cylinder....but to start id pull an ic pipe. And check for oil, and listen hard for any miss in the truck at idle and also take your oil fill cap off and check blowby by sitting cap on and see if it tips over....dont freak out immediately, 6.4's have a good amount of blowby as it is.....really easy way to rule out a couple possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6fodays

Reaction score
Runs great and oil level is still on the full mark?? Ive got 6,000 miles on the oil and plan on the oil change soon but i cant see any leaks everything seems tip top!

6,000 miles is 3,000 more miles than a 6.4 should see. They are very very very picky and you possibly could have caused some damage somewhere.

mharring

Reaction score
Thats sux😞 I was going off of factory recommended specs🤔

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 65

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
6,000 miles is 3,000 more miles than a 6.4 should see. They are very very very picky and you possibly could have caused some damage somewhere.

hundreds of thousands of miles across 5 6.4's I've owned... I typically change my oil between 5-8k miles. Zero issues.

3k OCI is OCD IMO :p

6fodays

Reaction score
hundreds of thousands of miles across 5 6.4's I've owned... I typically change my oil between 5-8k miles. Zero issues.

3k OCI is OCD IMO :p

Haha thats rare, i havent had any problems but i change mine every 3-4k from what ive heard and saw i don't wanna risk it.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Not rare at all, actually.

I'm not sure where you got a 3-4k mile OCI from, but that's ridiculous IMO

Obviously won't hurt anything, but you do realize that the regen cycle is what damages the oil on these trucks, right? :eek: You take that out of the mix, and those 15qts should be fine for 10k OCI. I split it in half, but don't beat myself up if I go 2-3k over.

The 6.4 is not made of glass, despite what all the scary folks on facebook say

6fodays

Reaction score
Yea but how many miles ago was it ******d. Unless you owned it from the beginning you dont know. Someone could have ran it with the *** for 90,000 miles on 5k-6k mile oil changes. And that's not healthy. Thats why i change mine every 3k regardless.

Lipka101

Reaction score
Um. If it was ran 5-6k between changes not ******d how is it going to help by running 3-4k between changes after you've ******d it? There is no gain there. You are wasting money and throwing out good oil. Send it to me and I'll run it in mine for another 3-4k.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Lipka101

Reaction score
Op, a slight haze at idle is normal for a ******d 6.4 when it not up to operating temp. Is your hazing when it's warm? How many miles on the truck?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Yea but how many miles ago was it ******d. Unless you owned it from the beginning you dont know. Someone could have ran it with the *** for 90,000 miles on 5k-6k mile oil changes. And that's not healthy. Thats why i change mine every 3k regardless.

LOL, why not add some 'tussin every oil change too? It'll help the mircicle healing powers of your daily oil changes!

6fodays

Reaction score
LOL, why not add some 'tussin every oil change too? It'll help the mircicle healing powers of your daily oil changes!

Now healing anything. Its preventive if anything. But im just saying, cams frequently get whiped out in 6.4's running on 5k oil changes. A lot more often than a 3k oil change. Not saying its completely inevitable but its better for the engine in the long run.

capt dong

Reaction score
Depends on your application. Those who have high horse engines and run it hard, 3k oil changes are the norm with synthetic oil. I myself go 8-10k miles on my conventional oil backed by tests over 70k miles worth though another lab showed blackstone tests flawed. I think for most of it is good info. I dont floor it much but im in bumper traffic 5 days a week and haul at least once a week. This last oil change i went mobil 1. I wanted a better oil and i will run it 8-10k miles again. Maybe more if i get a oil bypass filter. Fundamentally oil doesnt wear out. It can overheat or get dirty.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Now healing anything. Its preventive if anything. But im just saying, cams frequently get whiped out in 6.4's running on 5k oil changes. A lot more often than a 3k oil change. Not saying its completely inevitable but its better for the engine in the long run.

they do? :confused: What's your sample pool? Do you have oil change records for all of the trucks in question?

I've never seen a -regen truck whip a cam with 5k oil changes... I've never seen a 6.0 (which uses the same exact lifters) whip a cam with 7500 mile oil changes, personally... I HAVE seen plenty of them go 250-300k BONE STOCK with 5k OCI, so in -regen condition, 5k is more than ample. it's borderline wasteful, honestly

Changing the oil daily is ultimately better than any other OCI in the long run. That's what I would recommend.

Actually, I would recommend oil sample testing if you're really worried about it.

Changing the oil every 3k obviously isn't going to hurt anything buy your wallet, but to sit there and spew these "facts" as if they're some sort of gospel is silly

Latest posts

Members online