Need input with stock headlights

joshua5438

Reaction score
I am getting ready to retrofit my factory headlights. I currently have the stock lariat lights and want to get a Harley headlight look. Has anyone had any luck with removing the chrome on all the plastic? I have read about others (not Ford) using oven cleaner and it takes the chrome off and leaves a finished gloss black plastic behind it. Has anyone done this with the 08-10 headlights? I would much rather do this than paint and worry about it peeling down the road.

MrMike2010

Reaction score
I've heard oven cleaner works but I have no personal experience with it. A good scuff with a scotchbright pad and an adhesion promoter works very well too. I painted the chrome mirror tops on my truck and it has held up very well considering they get sprayed with anything and everything on a daily basis. I bought the promoter, paint and clear from automotive touch up.

joshua5438

Reaction score
thanks for the input. I may take them apart and see what happens with the oven cleaner. Worth a try.

verifine

Reaction score
20130613_201344_zps5ba42027.jpg

4d3c8765-702c-43dd-8159-2bdbc27555ff_zps6bc9760d.jpg

Used heavy duty oven cleaner on both of my retrofits to remove chrome from the bezels and buckets. Get the brand name stuff, no name stuff doesnt work near as well.

Last edited:

verifine

Reaction score
Dont have any pics of them mounted, took them off to take them apart again. They are aimed to low and the adjusters dont have enough thread sticking out to adjust them. So have to use a torx bit and adjust that screw little by little to get them high enough. The harley themed lights are FXr 3" projectors and the chrome/black are the square Mini D2s 3.0

joshua5438

Reaction score
Dont have any pics of them mounted, took them off to take them apart again. They are aimed to low and the adjusters dont have enough thread sticking out to adjust them. So have to use a torx bit and adjust that screw little by little to get them high enough. The harley themed lights are FXr 3" projectors and the chrome/black are the square Mini D2s 3.0

Thanks! Once you use the oven cleaner is the plastic dull or shiny? Also, do you have a pic of the all black version with the park lights on? Just wondering how the top bulb shines. That is one of the options I was thinking about. Either all black, keep the buckets chrome with a black bezel and black HID bezel or chrome buckets with black bezel and chrome HID bezel. These are going on a white truck. I currently have a set of the ebay tinted lights. The all blacked out look I like but the clear is flaking off. I know I want the black bezel and will probably tint the orange reflector.

verifine

Reaction score
The plastic underneath the chrome is shiny enough that it almost looks like gloss. With the black in the buckets you can still see the turn signal very easily. Another reason I like going all black is even with the projectors a little bit of light leaks out behind them. With the chrome bucket you would be able to see this where as with the black it doesnt reflect as much. I will try to get a picture of the turn signals on.

joshua5438

Reaction score
The plastic underneath the chrome is shiny enough that it almost looks like gloss. With the black in the buckets you can still see the turn signal very easily. Another reason I like going all black is even with the projectors a little bit of light leaks out behind them. With the chrome bucket you would be able to see this where as with the black it doesnt reflect as much. I will try to get a picture of the turn signals on.

Thanks! and both sets look awesome! I think the all black looks good on your truck. What did you tint the reflector with or did you spray them black?

Latest posts

Members online