Options and/or opinions?

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
Kinda fed up with some issues to the point I just want to buy a few dollar beater to suffice to repair the cobbled up items. The main thing is the engine, manifolds, up-pipes, oil pan, electrical and injectors(cups, harness and IDM) I really just want to find a cost effective quick way to fix some things before the snow fly's a lot. I have a plan sorta but just need the advice on how to or when to.

Should I just pull the block and do a quick hone pistons larger rings and bearings, bare heads shimmed 910s push rods, head studs, main studs, oil pan, manifolds with some kinda stud/nut type fastener, riff raff bellowed up-pipes, turbo, gauges, tuning, injection work, sensors, wiring, hpop and a lpop if I can do that, torque converter, valve body, the proper fly wheel or keep the dual mass and some other things. (spewing out of my head)
Full electrical system rebuild a little later on over the winter and build a dana 60 for the front, some sill guards and light mounts.

Just had it with trying to fix one thing after another just going to open y wallet fully and fix the right way now. Just need a idea on time frames cost and what should I fix first or what should wait and so on.....

Jason

Reaction score
Sell it, buy a reliable cheap ride. Go to college, enjoy reliable transportation, buy something nicer when you get out of school, and are making more money.

psduser1

Reaction score
If the body is good to excellent (not your eye, but someone that does bodywork), and just needs mechanical work, buy a wrecked unit and swap parts. Not performance stuff. I mean a decent engine, irregardless of miles or rod style.
The closer the yr, model, and trim level, the better, unless you want to change supporting parts, as also, i.e. pcms, axle style, interior, etc.
You can do it on the cheap, and have a reliable truck, may not be a show winner, but it'll work.
That's gonna be your cheapest route, unless you don't really need a truvk. In which case, cut your loses, sell it, and use the experience when you buy the next truck.
Dana 60s are overrated, duallys are overrrated, 600 hp is overrated, all that be is under the heading of disposable income, unless it's turning you a profit.
In stock form, these are a fairly reliable truck, but high miles are high miles, lol.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
If the body is good to excellent (not your eye, but someone that does bodywork), and just needs mechanical work, buy a wrecked unit and swap parts. Not performance stuff. I mean a decent engine, irregardless of miles or rod style.
The closer the yr, model, and trim level, the better, unless you want to change supporting parts, as also, i.e. pcms, axle style, interior, etc.
You can do it on the cheap, and have a reliable truck, may not be a show winner, but it'll work.
That's gonna be your cheapest route, unless you don't really need a truvk. In which case, cut your loses, sell it, and use the experience when you buy the next truck.
Dana 60s are overrated, duallys are overrrated, 600 hp is overrated, all that be is under the heading of disposable income, unless it's turning you a profit.
In stock form, these are a fairly reliable truck, but high miles are high miles, lol.

Body cab corner and some touch up other than that rust free, most of my issues are from dicked up repairs/add ons I just want those gone
tired of fixing them just need something cut cold daily driver tuned basic injectors and such but these fuggin manifolds are the worst part and my block will make a decent rebuild later on but I need a parts truck then.

What is a decent parts truck worth I found a few after making some calls and online for 3500-10g's various mileage and state of disrepair.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
Will a 00-01 2wd f450 cab chassis be a good donor vehicle for harnesses that I can no longer get and some drive train parts and it needs both uvch's. For 2500 bucks does not seem bad for 120k miles on the od What I really need is the 42 connector still.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
Sell it, buy a reliable cheap ride. Go to college, enjoy reliable transportation, buy something nicer when you get out of school, and are making more money.

I have tossed that idea around run a 500 buck beater and the truck when I need it for anything over hour one way. But it is really nice to have all my tools, 4x4, some chance against a moose, easier in the snow and prices are more stable slightly higher but not that bad.

It is getting old at times fix this then that fails ohh we no longer make that or carry that go to a junkyard what junk yard none around yet they work in the area. Yeah we make that but it requires us to install or repair it bull I am honestly really fed up with Ford right now stonewalling me every time I go and look for some parts like for my brake pressure application sensor shorted out they will not sell me one unless I buy a master cylinder and assist pump when I replace it. Every time this happens I go into alldata or another reference point find what I need print it off bring it to them part numbers and all. I need a new brake power harness for my parking brake, service brake and the module, the ignition power to ground, pcm power line and ground, 99-07 to 08+ bed harness correction because my fix sucks, wire diagram for their trailer package and brake and all they see is $$$$$$$$ for the service department when I need prices on parts for a baseline and part # cross reference.

And has anyone used these guys for a long block http://www.blackwaterengines.com/products/ford/15/73-liter-powerstroke-diesel-long-block/
I have plenty of compression but sick of the crankcase gas issue and the engine is deteriorating slowly going to do another comp test soon.

Last edited:

bruce

Reaction score
Sounds like the engine and body are both dyin. You can put 10k in it and still have a 12 year old truck or sell it and buy somethin else. Nothin wrong with drivin a beater, I've been doin it for 5 years and its saved me a ton of money

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
Sounds like the engine and body are both dyin. You can put 10k in it and still have a 12 year old truck or sell it and buy somethin else. Nothin wrong with drivin a beater, I've been doin it for 5 years and its saved me a ton of money

It is the electrical again fix the pig tail again problem solved for now..., but I am mostly pissed I buy it 3500 miles need brakes worn out they were brand new when I bought it. Yeah the beater aspect I do not mind but I keep all my tools, welding stuff and I need 4x4, before now I really did not need a diesel or a truck at all but now I do. I get ***ked by a Ford dealership and another one the second is about to get a boot in the ass and ratchet in the teeth. I really do not appreciate doing brakes in 3500 miles, after making enough noise come to find out all these issues were well known but never conveyed or easily given up to me. I basically was sold something with known issues that where hidden very well now I use my truck they like to pop up a lot costing me a lot of money and the warranty or supposed state law to protect you from slimy dick socket queers like these are useless my truck sits more than I can use it mostly broken fixing items that are safety related. I have no brake lights, blinkers, hazards, I cannot use my truck for what I need it for point a to b, hauling stuff and general use another great thing is it has been sitting since 2009 lucky me every damn seal keeps failing and leaking. Having bad injector cup(s), electrical issues, brakes, wheels, tires, manifolds, up-pipes etc. sold to me with supposed issues fixed but honestly I am going to run it till it blows the *** up and buy a 6.7 hopefully it blows before April when I bought it. I am sick of the bull trying to get some reimbursement for the amount of damn money I am throwing at it trying to get it to work for me and my purpose daily.

superpsd

Reaction score
Sounds like a lemon to me. Cut your losses cross your fingers and buy another truck and maybe your luck will change?

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
The whore lost a ring or two got the puff puff and plenty of smoke to impress but side of the truck is covered in oil along with the under carriage by the ccv reroute dump and most likely killed the cylinder that I lost a ring(s) going to get a good used dressed block plop her in but for now just going to run a beater. Just did a bunch of work on the slut and so may cut my losses but not sure yet. I may just get it running just enough for a trade in on a 6.7 now.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
The whore lost a ring or two got the puff puff and plenty of smoke to impress but side of the truck is covered in oil along with the under carriage by the ccv reroute dump and most likely killed the cylinder that I lost a ring(s) going to get a good used dressed block plop her in but for now just going to run a beater. Just did a bunch of work on the slut and so may cut my losses but not sure yet. I may just get it running just enough for a trade in on a 6.7 now.

Edit: I have to focus on school now and invest in tools instead time to put this aside as a project truck throw some cash aside monthly to get it running correctly. I am just going to get a short bed gasser 4-door 4x4 I am going to wait to get a 6.7 or a diesel as a daily driver till I finish school and make better money for that matter. I guess it is what it is **** hit the fan and **** happens.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Whaaaaaaaatt? why I oughta....... 😠😬

live life full throttle

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
I do not make this shyt up but I have what it appears to be a glow plug sticking out of my # 8 cylinder valve cover location. time to get it home and pulled apart to see what is really going on for real.

I am still going to run a beater and try to pick up a basic truck at a surplus auction for the winter months then throw cash at this slowly. At this moment I need help finding a way getting it home from where I am at I can not afford a $800+ tow neither can my parents my brothers 150 might be able to but the distance and the route is way to steep and harsh for that light duty of a truck. I guess I have a field trip I mean "outside learning experience" thanks obama.

Last edited:

Jason

Reaction score
Like I said previously. Ditcj this pos, buy a awd car, pr 4wd gas pickup cheap to get around. Get an education, then buy something nice later. You can't afford a 6.7, don't fool yourself or try to slund cool. Can't afford an $800 tow, and to fix your heap, you can't afford a 6.4, or 6.7 and the associated costs.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
I will have to take a pic in the AM and checked my oil level it is slightly below the add I would guesstimate 3 quart low I do have my ccv relocated and dumped on that bank. Judging by looking at similar instances of trucks doing this I probably trashed my 8 ll and maybe part of the #8 valve assembly. The worst case is I have to get a new head and a new cam along with some machining. I am going to park it for the winter if I have to pull the head to do any more than re tap the port. I am already going to pull the motor in the spring for the oil pan, manifolds, wiring, some other updates and transmission work also. I kinda want to ditch the truck but I also do not want to because this is my hobby I just need a break from it and get a better idea of the internal condition from what happened last night. Next step is find out what I need and slowly acquire the parts and get it done this winter and spring.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410865664.988649.jpg

Sent while speeding, pushing little cars off the road and having a fruit smoothie.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
Like I said previously. Ditcj this pos, buy a awd car, pr 4wd gas pickup cheap to get around. Get an education, then buy something nice later. You can't afford a 6.7, don't fool yourself or try to slund cool. Can't afford an $800 tow, and to fix your heap, you can't afford a 6.4, or 6.7 and the associated costs.

Honestly this is how it works,
-I can have a 6.4 or 6.7 it is called Irish Protestant work ethic(New England work ethic) work hard and buy it with hard earned money.
-^Also known as work my ass of to get what I want.
-I am getting a education thank you captain obvious!
-Gas trucks are over priced and usually rotted out.
-AWD you mean no wheel drive stuck on a hill or in a ditch in a blizzard.
-$800 is more like $1600 Einstein $800 each way.
-You do not know my financial situation and I do imply I have very little money and cannot pay someone to do the work for many reasons but it is no ones business what my current income is. I do not pay anyone to fix stuff because I take more pride when I do it myself.
-I can afford to fix my truck but I choose to do it like everyone else month to month saving buy some stuff here and there once and awhile hold out on less severe stuff because my finances will not always be like this. All the work myself with basic hand tools and zero instructions.

I am a thrifty person I live well within my financial means and do not wish to spend money if I do not have to. If someone could help with a tow that's around here I would have paid for fuel plus some again if they needed similar help I would bend over backwards to assist them also that is just how it works. Maybe you should get out from underneath your rock and be more optimistic when giving advice because I have fixed a lot on this truck already and just had a freak failure shyt happens. A word of advice wake up drink some coffee, put a smile on your face, take a piss of excellence and be more positive maybe you could offer better advice.

Have a great ***king day Bub. :flipa::D