ironhorse my ass

stroker221

Reaction score
Well I have put a couple hundred miles on my truck since I re loaded the extreme X tune and it never was shifting very well unless I used tow haul. And then when I romped on it I'm pretty sure torque converter Is supposed to stay locked in 2nd on up but it wasn't locking until around 40-50mph. So I switched from race lock on my sct livewire to firm shift early lock yesterday. Trans felt much better and only took about ten miles to learn is seemed like. Well I was on my way home and once it hit 3rd gear I got on it and it kicked out of gear on me. I pulled over and had no drive, reverse, first, second, or third.. Nothin. Called my dad which was only 10 min away and he brought the rollback. Checked the dipstick and theres clutch material on it... I've only put 7k miles on it since it was rebuilt with the ironhorse trans from Russ moore. I guess their trans aren't as good as they advertise, its been there 6 times in the year and a half since I've owned it. F***

stroker221

Reaction score
What's the best option for clutch packs in these trans? I know rcd makes a well built converter.. Gonna get a gearhead race tune and see how my trans likes that

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry but who in the hell is Russ Moore and what is the iron horse ?

stroker221

Reaction score
Russ moor is a place in fort wayne, Indiana that builds performance transmissions for diesel trucks, drag cars and anything else. The ironhorse trans is for diesel trucks for plowing and whatever else.. Here's the link to my trans.. Let me know what you think about it
http://www.russmoore.com/ironhorse.aspx

stroker221

Reaction score
Rudys look like they have some good stuf for trans. What would yall recommend I put in there while its opened up? Transgo shift kit make a difference? Modified direct clutch solenoid? TCC, O/D, L/R, Intermediate Solenoid..

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Tuning can blow up the BEST built 5R in no time. I didn't want to have problems like your having so I had Elite Diesel build me a trans and it's tuned by Gearhead. The torque shift is a strong bad ass trans but not many guys can actually build one that works. Then the tuning has to be perfect for it to last. It's not your average ordinary automatic..

stroker221

Reaction score
Tuning can blow up the BEST built 5R in no time. I didn't want to have problems like your having so I had Elite Diesel build me a trans and it's tuned by Gearhead. The torque shift is a strong bad ass trans but not many guys can actually build one that works. Then the tuning has to be perfect for it to last. It's not your average ordinary automatic..

So if I call gearhead and tell them exactly what's done to the trans will they be able to make me a custom tune that my trans will be happy with?

Stroked777

Reaction score
A Gearhead tuned trans is a happy trans. Trap speed puts me at 546hp and I still have a stock trans. Been running Gearhead tunes for about 40k. And honestly my trans still feels as strong as the day I tunes my truck, and that's with a lot of drag passes and races and a bunch of sled hooks all on the hottest tune I have. IMO just the Gearhead trans tune alone is worth the money for his whole MCC package

stroker221

Reaction score
That's awesome. So what exactly does he change in the trans tune between a stock trans and a built trans? And I think whenever I go to change tunes is when it hurts my trans pretty bad trying to relearn haha

Stroked777

Reaction score
He probably just increases line pressure a bit and the shift firmness. I'm not sure exactly but his tunes are night and day difference. And honestly about the relearn I never did it it in my truck I just drive it. And I change tunes a lot between my Gearhead engine file and a engine file I been working on

stroker221

Reaction score
Are you using sct or h&s? I didn't think they had a software you could do tuning yourself for sct..

swinky

Reaction score
I'm running extremeX on my 600ish hp 6.0 and my twisted stage 3 had clutch material on the dipstick in 1k miles. Going gearhead for sure. Many others have been having the same issues lately it seems.

stroker221

Reaction score
Ya I have all kinds of clutch material on my dipstick right now. Alright definitely giving gearhead a call. With a gearhead race tune can you select different trans settings such as race lock and firm early lock like I can with innovative tunes? Or is it just a load and go program?

sootie

Reaction score
its a load and go. if you buy the tune package there are a couple different trans files to choose from.

if there is clutch material on your dipstick the trans is toast. tuning doesnt fix clutches.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
its a load and go. if you buy the tune package there are a couple different trans files to choose from.

if there is clutch material on your dipstick the trans is toast. tuning doesnt fix clutches.

:whs:

stroker221

Reaction score
Me and a buddy haulin truck back clear to fort wayne to get looked at tomorrow. Hopefully they fix it soon.. And hopefully I have a gearhead tune so I can load it up once I pick it up..