Medium duty truck discussion

B.Warning

Reaction score
I'm beginning to think I need to start considering a medium duty truck. (Local dot says the same) I'm not going to spend huge money on a super truck or anything of that nature but finding a 99+ f650 crew cab. Frame length doesn't matter as I can cut it down or lengthen it for that matter.

Couple questions...

4x4... would I be better off to convert one or buy one already done. I see the 4500 and 5500 gm trucks just use a d70 steer axle yet Ford uses some monstrosity of a setup in there's.

Ride... why couldn't I remove some leaf springs to soften the ride yet still be fully capable of what I plan on using it for.

Gearing... Between the axles and trans gearing what's a comfortable cruising speed for these trucks.

Tires/wheels...Most likely I'd ditch the duals and run super singles with a aggressive 385/65/22.5 tire.

Bed... Of course it would have a flatbed of some sort.

Interior... I'd ditch whatever it had in favor of black leather.

Motor... The most common options are a 5.9 cummins or a little cat motor. I know all about the 5.9 but nothing about the little cat. Which one is better?

94.5 Stroker

Reaction score
When it comes to the motor you will want the Cummins over the Cat. The cat that came in those trucks is not really the most desired and can be problematic like a 6.0.

RedRice589

Reaction score
A far as affordability and cost I don't see the 650 being feasible budget wise... But then again fines for being overweight could be more. I see the Kodiak being better but the gvw isn't that high I don't think either. I know in the 6500 and 7500 Kodiak you get a cat and 4x4 idk if it's findable past the 45-5500... Good luck I'm interested to see what you find. And I heard the same about the cat motor in the 650 as well. Runs good but can/could be problematic.

6.0L Stroker

Reaction score
Not a ton of help for you Brian but the 650 my dad had did pretty decent with the boat or camper behind it. Now they aren't that heavy compared to what you'd be towing. His had the 260hp 5.9. We put a ts mp8 on it that seemed to do nothing. Driving around town was really no different than a normal dually. It turns just as sharp if not sharper.

He would have kept it had it been a little cheaper than $25000 to make it 4wd. I would think with what you do with it you would need 4wd even with the super singles.
2ed876882ca6cd39b88fe625826c3e11.jpg

co04cobra

Reaction score
If you're use to towing with a tuned/built 6.4, all the engine options in 650s will feel like dogs.

Top speed on the ones I've been around seems to be around 80, and the kodiaks with 4wd, make a gen 1 dodge feel like it's on air. There top speed didn't seem much over 70 but I've been around less of those.

We've also had a few newer kodiaks plagued with electrical issues too. Didn't GMs whole medium duty truck division go under? Just my. .02.

Freightshaker

Reaction score
Personally I never cared much for the ford or GM mediums. Only newer one I have been around is the kodiak that work has and it feels cramped to me. Has a duramax and it feels extremely gutless. I always was more partial to heavy truck builders medium duty line.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Personally I never cared much for the ford or GM mediums. Only newer one I have been around is the kodiak that work has and it feels cramped to me. Has a duramax and it feels extremely gutless. I always was more partial to heavy truck builders medium duty line.
The F650 where I used to work was a dog. It had a 3126 CAT and an automatic. It could get up and go pretty decent with a D4 behind it. This was on a highway job so most of what I was doing was within the construction zone, merging on highway and exiting within 2 miles. I had to take it on one trip that was 30 miles one way. Running empty with a 25+5 Eager Beaver I could just maintain 70mph, as long as I was going downhill. Any sort of grade and it was 65 or less. I loaded a 4x4x6 catch basin, manhole top, and a couple basin tops and the truck started to overheat at 65mph.

When they decided to work on that truck, they rented an International 4200 with a 6.0. It was rated for more weight, but would overheat within 1 mile with a D4 behind it.

Having seen some pictures of what you haul, I wouldn't get anything smaller than a DT466. I'd also suggest a 2spd rear.

Freightshaker

Reaction score

Should add I would not want a pickup engine in it either...

Here you go OP...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409921935.663568.jpg
Puke lol

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Freightliner FL60-FL70.

My grandfather had one that I put about 50k miles on hauling a 45 foot tri-axle fifth wheel camper and a 32k Amusement ride trailer around the country. Was a 5.9 Cummins with the 5 speed Electronic shift Allison. Would do 75-80 if no headwind. Went up the grapevine (rt5) in California a dozen times or more with it with no issues. Would maintain 30-40 depending on which trailer I was pulling.

Truck was completely stock with a tool truck body on it. Has on board welder/generator, air compressor, and enough tools to tear a big rig apart on the side of the road.

Never had any issues with the truck other than regular maintenance. And with the air ride seats it was really comfortable on long trips. Made more than one 16+ hour trip in the driver seat.

Was not 4x4 thought but I am sure the conversion price would not be any more than converting a F-650.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
If you're use to towing with a tuned/built 6.4, all the engine options in 650s will feel like dogs.

Top speed on the ones I've been around seems to be around 80, and the kodiaks with 4wd, make a gen 1 dodge feel like it's on air. There top speed didn't seem much over 70 but I've been around less of those.

We've also had a few newer kodiaks plagued with electrical issues too. Didn't GMs whole medium duty truck division go under? Just my. .02.

Try 55ish with a heavy load. They like to overheat real fast

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
How far do you normally haul? If 4x4 is really important, what about looking at surplus military trucks? We use them on the farm hear for hauling loads in and out of the farm and they are beast in the mud when they are loaded. Can't beat 10 wheel drive especially with the transfer case in low range. Thing would pull anything you could load on the trailer deck.

Some of the newer ones are not that rough to drive either although I believe they are still limited to 55-60 top speed. The cost for them is really not that bad once you figure in converting a F-650.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I would stick to Ford, International, or Freightliner for a med. duty truck. I think my 1 ton dually would handle a load better than the few top kicks/ kodiack's I've been in. Also the med. duty cat engines are junk as far as I know, I would do what others said and stick with a cummins or an engine larger than what goes into the pickups. Done some towing with a Freightliner that had an 8.3 cummins under the hood, and that was a great all around truck. Air ride wouldn't be a bad thing to look for either.
You could always try to find yourself a 4x4 bucket truck that an energy/ tree company is getting rid of. Or go for an International CXT, which has everything you want already on it. LOL

MrMike2010

Reaction score
I have a lot of experience in driving f750 fords, 7500 gmc's and the freightliner equivalent (not sure the model) at work. Stay far away from the cats. Our trucks are right at the max gvw of 33k and the cats are total dogs. They all burn oil to the point it's a constant haze, even at idle. And forget about cold starts. These trucks have around 65k miles but with lots of idle time.

Now the 5.9 cummins holds its ground pretty well. Easy starts, not a race truck but it pulls decent. Maintain 65-70 on the hwy with ease. We do pull 20k lbs trailers and for a total gross of about 50k and it does ok. Flats will be around 65 but hills it drops speed quick. Usually holds 50-53 no problem. The newer trucks with 6.7 cummins is a great upgrade. Lots more grunt down low and the exhaust brake works very well.

As for th trucks. The fords seem to hold up better. They handle nicer and the interiors are well built.
In the gms the door panels crack easy, window cranks break constantly. And forget about the crappy gauge clusters. Half the gauges stop working randomly. Like the fuel gauges that get stuck in the full position. Can't tell u how many trucks run out of fuel bc of it.
I haven't seen any 4 wheel drive freightliners but I'm sure they make them. The freights have great visibility compared to the others. Air ride cabs make the ride pleasant too. They Have more motor options too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.