ironhorse my ass

stroker221

Reaction score
Anyone think it would be a good idea to get a modified direct clutch solenoid and an EPC solenoid and halve the shop put them in? What's everyone's thoughts on those?

sootie

Reaction score
any properly built trans with proper tuning shouldnt require it.

stroker221

Reaction score
It just seemed like it wouldn't hurt since supposedly the modified solenoids apply 4 times the fluid twice as quick applying that pressure to the clutches which will quicken each shift and have more holding power. And since they are larger it will be harder for them to plug up causing your trans not to downshift to first and hanging up in between gears like I started noticing mine doing before it finally went out.. That's how I understand it anyways..

sootie

Reaction score
great. i have run with and without tuning, with and without modded solenoid.
the modded solenoid affects ONE shift-that is the 3-5. because reverse engagement uses the same solenoid so you may feel a difference that but it is not a "shift".

what i think you are missing is that the reason flares are prevalent on the 3-5 shift is because so much is going on in the trans. the third gear clutches must be release prior to the fifth gear clutches engaging. if you have a built trans, plus good tuning, plus a modded solenoid you end up with binding which breaks hard parts. that's not usually good for the transmission i've heard...

carry on

stroker221

Reaction score
That's good then. Saving me $300 by not getting them.. Haha so ill just try some good tuning when I get the truck back and go from there..

stroker221

Reaction score
Ok well I just called the trans shop and they are waiting on parts. I managed to somehow split my $1200 billet o/d planetary right in half

stroker221

Reaction score
I seen that.. Idk they told me it was $1200 but that's probly for anything else it needed too. They are covering it