6.7 DIY CCV Mod

Reaction score
Has anyone made their own CCV mod using their existing CCV box? Possibly running a hose to the atmosphere off of where the factory hose runs from the CCV box to the intake manifold and plugging off the intake? (Take a look at post #20 to see a picture of it. It would be where the hose connects to the box underneath the primary fuel filter lines http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41518&showall=1 )

The reason Im wondering is I see all the CCV kits that are out completely eliminate the box, but trying to see if that would really be necessary other than cleaning up the engine bay a little more. Im not sure if it would cause any crankcase pressure issues by leaving the box in place and then running a hose from it to vent to atmosphere. I know on my 6.4, I made my own and ran the hose. It was relatively simple. Just wondering if I could put something together in the same fashion. Thoughts?

Reaction score
I am finally able to attach a picture so I dont have to link to another thread, although Im not sure if it is letting me edit it anymore to remove the link. In the picture, I have put an arrow to the location which I wanted to put a 90 and a tube downward to vent to atmosphere. It comes right off the factory CCV oil separator box. Does anyone think if the factory CCV oil separator box is left in place, that it will cause too much of an increased pressure in the crankcase being that there is no longer going to be a vacuum from the intake pulling the vapors through the CCV box? And also, this thread is NOT meant to take away from any of the vendors that have the CCV kits out there. They did a dam good job on their kits and would love to own one! Im just looking for any info on possibly doing it this way instead of removing the CCV box.

Attachments

• CCV Location.jpg
    CCV Location.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 312

Pearlsled

Reaction score
Curious

Just curious did you ever try this mod and if so did it work? I have a 2016 f350 and considering trying the same route as described above, mainly because on 15s and 16s the return to intake hose and sensor is integral to the ccv separator and the oil drain back design of the box. Other than that I would love to buy one of the awesome ccv mod kits. Main concern is oil drain back, will it still drain with out vacuum from the turbo? Other than that I think it will be an easy diy mod and one I would be happy with because of warranty

Last edited:
Reaction score
I bought he same kit as throttlejoky instead of the DIY. Wth the nice adapter, the hose, and the cap for the intake, all for like $50 or less. Sure you may be able to do it for less, but you will have to probably cut the factory hose on your CCV box. This way, you could keep everything factory like and just vent to atmospher. No issue with excessive crankcase pressure or oil coming out of the tube.

Reaction score
I had it installed that way at first for about a year with no issues. About 6 months in I took a 6 hour trip and noticed an oily tar like stuff blew out the hose all over my rear end. I then took off the hose to try and drain it and only a very small amount of this thick tar like oil came out so I'm guessing the long trip just heated all the gunk up and blew it out the hose. Last year I took off the ccv box and noticed a good bit more oil vapor coming out. I even have it routed to the exhaust and still see some vapor coming out the exhaust. Lately I've been thinking of installing the ccv box back so I don't have any smokey vapor coming out the exhaust. It's annoying to see smoke coming out in traffic. I also probably have my exhaust coated in the oily tar now but I won't know for sure until I take a look. Nothings coming out the exhaust tip but the exhaust goes over the rear end.