Adjustable Suspension???

imelmo

Reaction score
So now that I own ZMBYKLR again, my plan is to buy a set of wheels/drag radials for it and when larger events come around slap a stock bumper on the front, remove the rear bumper and TireGate/Spare, and run in the 10.5 index classes. Then put everything back on after.

The truck has a 6" (5.5" technically iirc) Icon lift on it, so obviously putting 30" drag radials all around is gonna look pretty goofy even though it's just for racing. So I was thinking it would be pretty sweet if I could find an air suspension system that could let the truck set at stock height (or lower even) when the drag radials are on and go up to about 6" over stock for when I put the 37's back on.

The truck is a 2003 but has all 2005 suspension and axles.

My first thought was Kelderman. I didn't see anything that listed that specifically so I emailed them but haven't heard back yet. Any other options out there for this?

slowcoupe

Reaction score
Call trevor at PMF. He has some pretty sweet designs for suspension and bags im sure he could get you into something for 37s and your radials. I believe he is also a vendor here. I just bought my traction bar blocks, an index ring for my t-case, front hanger kit and a dual shock set up. Lots of guys here run his parts and i know parumhp ran his airbag set up on that black truck for a while.

Just waiting on some extra powder to have one of my rear blocks recoated cause fedex sucks.

Layson

Reaction score
The main problem is you would need to really change out a few parts so it drove ok. These type of kits are good at one height but when you change height it messes it all up. Only really good for shows at different heights. When you lower it down your steering wheel will rotate in your hands.

If it is just the rear you probably could make something work. The front would be tough to get the steering wheel straight, no bump steer, the axle centered under the truck, and have it drive down the road in a straight line. I would be a little nervous about trying to run that down the drag strip.

There was a video all over facebook several months ago of a air kit that had the track rod and steering adjust as it raised and lowered. Very involved setup and the video did not show it even driving anywhere.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I think he could get a kelderman style kit to work. Easiest thing to do would be to have two different length sets of track bars front and rear as well as two different length drag links. On race day swap in the shorter ones and lower the truck down. You would probably have to get serious with shock choice since there would be very little air in the bags.

imelmo

Reaction score
The main problem is you would need to really change out a few parts so it drove ok. These type of kits are good at one height but when you change height it messes it all up. Only really good for shows at different heights. When you lower it down your steering wheel will rotate in your hands.

If it is just the rear you probably could make something work. The front would be tough to get the steering wheel straight, no bump steer, the axle centered under the truck, and have it drive down the road in a straight line. I would be a little nervous about trying to run that down the drag strip.

There was a video all over facebook several months ago of a air kit that had the track rod and steering adjust as it raised and lowered. Very involved setup and the video did not show it even driving anywhere.

Hmmm, good points. I may have to just look goofy with a 6" lift and 30's, lol. I'll do a little more checking and contact Trevor when I get closer.

Layson

Reaction score
You would have to be pretty committed to do that at race day but you never know. Compile that with the fact that it may not even be able to drive in a straight line due to track rod brackets and pitman arms that are on a lifted truck versus a stock truck. The hardware that might be under a 6" lifted truck may not even fit once it is lowered down to stock height. I would imagine that a stock air bag kit is probably different than one that is at 6" of lift.

You just run that beast with the lift that is on it and throw the goofy tires on it. People will laugh until they see what numbers it puts down. LOL. It would be cool to do it but most likely the truck would not be a fun daily driver anymore.

Zmann

Reaction score
see all the hydraulic hoses flopping around ?

it is a neat concept but wouldn't be street legal if it only has hydraulic ram steering and no mechanical linkages