parralel twins instead of big single

WHITExOBS

Reaction score
I know its pointless since obviously a bigger single does work fine as its been proven. But I'm bored so lets discuss, becuase I might do this just for s and g's using 2 precision 5976e's with .63 t3 base. Would be comparable in price to a common t4 sized single.

I've read about a guy who tried it before but he used two stock turbos which obviously was doomed from the start since it takes all of 7.3 liters to spool one. But I've seen on a DMax forum a guy used 2 bullseye 259 turbos with success, made something like 2-3 psi at idle and went on to 60psi at WOT. Sounds fun to me.

AND if performance ain't your forte lets be honest, true duals on a v8 is a pretty nice sound.

Swaan

Reaction score
I got a brand new presision 5866cea with .63t3 for sale if your interested. I think that would be better suited anyway. Your little big on your exaust wheel.
Ported compressor housing, billet wheel. Duel ball bearing.
Make me an offer.

Last edited:

WHITExOBS

Reaction score
I got a brand new presision 5866cea with .63t3 for sale if your interested. I think that would be better suited anyway. Your little big on your exaust wheel.
Ported compressor housing, billet wheel. Duel ball bearing.
Make me an offer.

What's the turbine size on that? I never heard of it and its not listed in precisions catalog. I should state my truck will have either 250/200 or 300/200's, I'm not doing this to a stock fueled engine.

Swaan

Reaction score
What's the turbine size on that? I never heard of it and its not listed in precisions catalog. I should state my truck will have either 250/200 or 300/200's, I'm not doing this to a stock fueled engine.

It has a 66 mm turbine. 58 mm compressor. It's not listed because it was built for me that way. Precision likes to size there chargers to suit gasser stuff. I had them build it with a bit bigger turbine to better suit a diesel.
I was going to put it on a stock 6.0 powerstroke but never did.

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
was a vid of a guy running parallel twins on an obs ages ago over on the nation. seemed a bit smokey but it ran good if i remember correctly. i'll see if i can find the vid for ya later..

WHITExOBS

Reaction score
It has a 66 mm turbine. 58 mm compressor. It's not listed because it was built for me that way. Precision likes to size there chargers to suit gasser stuff. I had them build it with a bit bigger turbine to better suit a diesel.
I was going to put it on a stock 6.0 powerstroke but never did.

Is that measuring the overall diameter of the wheel or just the exducer? Thats a fuggin tiny exducer if the inducer is 66mm.

I'll try to keep it in mind for when I go to order turbos, sadly blowing the engine in my daily killed all my play money for this month and probly next month so the trucks not getting much love untill the new year.

superpsd

Reaction score
There have been a few parallel twin 7.3 trucks. The other truck I saw on YouTube was running S300s I read. Was built for pulling.

Swaan

Reaction score
Is that measuring the overall diameter of the wheel or just the exducer? Thats a fuggin tiny exducer if the inducer is 66mm.

I'll try to keep it in mind for when I go to order turbos, sadly blowing the engine in my daily killed all my play money for this month and probly next month so the trucks not getting much love untill the new year.

When precision talks about there chargers like 6266,5862 ect ect. They are taking about the inducer of the compressor. And the exducer of the turbine.

So my 66 turbine would probley be 76 on the inducer. Borg warner does it the same way.
The only guys that do it the backwards way is Garrett. LolLOL

WHITExOBS

Reaction score
When precision talks about there chargers like 6266,5862 ect ect. They are taking about the inducer of the compressor. And the exducer of the turbine.

So my 66 turbine would probley be 76 on the inducer. Borg warner does it the same way.
The only guys that do it the backwards way is Garrett. LolLOL

Yea I was just making sure we was on the same page haha,but if that's the case then thats a bigger turbine then the 5976 wich is 74.17inducer and 64.5 exducer.

Chrisf97305

Reaction score
The Parallel turbo set up will work. I know, I did it. Worked great on the road and had great top end power. The turbos that i used was small t3's the was rated at 60psi and 800 cfs of air. Great setup. The turbos was built by Bell Turbo. Need i say more.
Here is what the engine looked like.
Here is the Video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiNtqViouhE&list=UUme5EcV_oLNcJ1MmxDH6A2Q

WHITExOBS

Reaction score
I just watched that video earlier today, that engine looks so nice. You did a great job. I'm not gonna ask any details on your setup but I'm assuming that you ment 800cfm not cfs LOL? And I'm also assuming thats 800cfm per turbo haha.

Last edited:

WHITExOBS

Reaction score
After looking into this more and in light of some of the info provided so far here, I might try some pte 5554e turbos.

Turbo specs are:
Compressor- 55.12/74.93
Turbine- 64.92/53.94
Max comp. Flow- ~790cfm
Turbine A/R- .63

superpsd

Reaction score
Says it is a journal bearing turbo. Why not go ball bearing? I'm not the turbo guru but those specs seem like a small turbine housing. Could create some high drive pressure.

Last edited:

WHITExOBS

Reaction score
Says it is a journal bearing turbo. Why not go ball bearing? I'm not the turbo guru but those specs seem like a small turbine housing. Could create some high drive pressure.

Ball bearing would be nice for quick spool, but it shouldn't be nessecary. Journal bearings can handle more abuse (so I've heard).

As far as drive pressure, thats similar turbine size to an hy35 and they use the hy35 on 3.9l 4bt's. I know its comparing apples to oranges becuase of so many different variable between the two, but should be good enough to get in the ball park, and if its to much drive pressure i can always gate them.

superpsd

Reaction score
Pretty sure ball bearings stomp a journal bearing. As I have read that BB last longer and need less lubrication... There is a reason they put ball bearings in presicion machine tools that are under heavy loads running thousands of rpm for hours after hours. Not to mention the reduction of spool time. If your just looking for the quicker spool up factor there is also options like spool valves and switch blade turbos. My only experience with twins on a diesel was a few years back I put two tiny Mitsubishi turbos on a GM 6.2 diesel. There was no lag granted this was a low boost application.

WHITExOBS

Reaction score
Quick question... Is this a daily driver or a competition truck?

Fun truck, take it to the strip when I'm bored, do a couple pulls when Im bored, drive it to work occasionally when I'm bored of driving my daily, go to home depot or lowes to get material, do burnouts, etc etc.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Ball bearing would be nice for quick spool, but it shouldn't be nessecary. Journal bearings can handle more abuse (so I've heard).

all things being equal, ball bearing wins hands down! only way a journal bearing has a fighting chance is if it was a 360° bearing.

live life full throttle

WHITExOBS

Reaction score
all things being equal, ball bearing wins hands down! only way a journal bearing has a fighting chance is if it was a 360° bearing.

live life full throttle

Well guess its true that you should believe half what you see and nothing you hear haha. I stil dont really see a need for ball bearing though considering alot of the big singles people put on to make crazy hp numbers are all journal bearings. Granted yes the bigger turbos dont spin nearly as fast as smaller ones, but still journal bearing have been around for awhile and are still being used so its not like they are complete garbage or else nobody would be using them anymore.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.