HG-Pistons...

StrokiNDieseL

Reaction score
Needing the experienced ones advice on how one would go about piston Replacement while HG are being done. Truck (08 job1, 60K) started puking, slight tick w/blowby steadily streaming so I ordered heads, rockers, lifters, push rods, springs, retainers, up pipes, 6.0mani's.

Got the following update of bent/broken push rod on exhaust #1, then shortly after the message came about piston cracks:jawdrop:... So what would you do at this point, how will I know if standard or oversized Pistons will be needed? I know I want delipped, coated w/valve reliefs & no gap rings but what else is a must at this point? I know from my research you guys gotta know a little more info on the condition of the walls ect but I have not seen anything myself..

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Intended use for truck is DD w/slight towing around 800Hp goals for the future. Thanks, Jayson.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
have the bores measured. even if the crosshatching is still visible, they may be out of round.

a cam may be an addition if you wish...

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Measuring the cylinders for out of round and taper will tell you if it needs to be bored over and with that will determine your piston size. Cylinders typically wear in a hour glass shape( bigger at the top smaller in the middle and bigger again at the bottom) but you want a true straight cylinder wall.

Reaction score
I've seen plenty of stock cams hit pistons. I always recommend valve reliefs. Stage one and two are very close to each other. I've had too many people have clearance issues. I recommend it period. Even if I don't sell you the pistons, I would still tell you to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StrokiNDieseL

Reaction score
I've seen plenty of stock cams hit pistons. I always recommend valve reliefs. Stage one and two are very close to each other. I've had too many people have clearance issues. I recommend it period. Even if I don't sell you the pistons, I would still tell you to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Sir, I'll def be contacting you guys first. Mechanic already mentioned maxforce ones going in but I'll like your reviews & support around here.

sootie

Reaction score
Go with Morgan ^^^^ he will take good care of you.

as yes-dont chance it on the valve reliefs.

StrokiNDieseL

Reaction score
Go with Morgan ^^^^ he will take good care of you.

as yes-dont chance it on the valve reliefs.

At the shop now & it's closed, called & told him to be up here in a Hr b/c he told me he was open today... My current supergas build (started in 08!) delt w/3 shoddy shops & $70K spent, still not turn key & I'm not going down that road again!!! Ima busy dude, family owns optical store so $$$ isn't the issue, it seems trust is now a days, cash $$$ doesn't do it around my town for some reason.. Not bad mouthing my current 6.4L guy either peeps, just a rantting for now!

sootie

Reaction score
they've been pretty toasty. first one looks a little melted, second looks ok

StrokiNDieseL

Reaction score
Never even been down the strip, lol street races I can't deny. Injectors were just put in the mail to MFI :D. Thanks again fellas & I'll keep it up to date on the direction/progress.

At first glance I almost said to put it all back together but would rather tackle it correctly since cabs up.. Wifey's not so happy b/c of other race build going on but I'll just finish the nursery asap!!!

Latest posts

Members online