I need some advice from the 6.0 guys

black'n'blue

Reaction score
Hey all. I haven't posted much on the site due to my lack of knowledge on diesel engines but I am in desperate need of some technical info. I recently purchased an 05 6.0, roughly 5000 miles ago. When I bought it, it had just came out of the ford service dept with new hg's, head bolts, egr, egr valve, and oil cooler. These were all oem parts. The service manager said that the part's and labor carry a 2yr warranty. Since then I have added the following mods myself: gauges, 5 inch straight pipe exhaust with 4 inch dp, afe drop in replacement filter, ccv mod, zoodad mod, and a livewire ts 5015 w/ I'd tunes. I was running the x street tune for the past 3000 miles and guess what.....popped a hg. It is now puking out of the degas bottle once I hit around 18 psi boost. I have since returned the truck back to stock and wanted to know other than the swirls on the pistons, is there any way they can tell it had a tuner on it. Also is there a certain mileage before the swirls are less noticeable? Looking forward to your responses. Thanks in advance. Ps I also called sct and they told me that tuner leaves no footprint.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Hey all. I haven't posted much on the site due to my lack of knowledge on diesel engines but I am in desperate need of some technical info. I recently purchased an 05 6.0, roughly 5000 miles ago. When I bought it, it had just came out of the ford service dept with new hg's, head bolts, egr, egr valve, and oil cooler. These were all oem parts. The service manager said that the part's and labor carry a 2yr warranty. Since then I have added the following mods myself: gauges, 5 inch straight pipe exhaust with 4 inch dp, afe drop in replacement filter, ccv mod, zoodad mod, and a livewire ts 5015 w/ I'd tunes. I was running the x street tune for the past 3000 miles and guess what.....popped a hg. It is now puking out of the degas bottle once I hit around 18 psi boost. I have since returned the truck back to stock and wanted to know other than the swirls on the pistons, is there any way they can tell it had a tuner on it. Also is there a certain mileage before the swirls are less noticeable? Looking forward to your responses. Thanks in advance. Ps I also called sct and they told me that tuner leaves no footprint.

^^^that's a new one for me...

if you are speaking about the increased spray pattern, maybe but i doubt it.

as far as the tuner leaving a "footprint" it may not technically leave one but if they dig far enough into it they will see the stored U-codes that indicate a communication interruption. there is no way to get rid of those.

ps... Nut up to the fact you blew the hg's on the truck and pay to get it fixed right. why are you trying to get ford to warranty a failure that was caused by you???

Hell-i've put new motors in my truck with it still under factory warranty and footed the bill...

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Yes the dealer can tell it had other than stock files just by plugging in that lil lap top computer. It just depends on how good the tech is or if he gives a shyt or not.

black'n'blue

Reaction score
In all honesty I thought I would have more time before the hg's went. I was told that I could run the x street tune with head bolts as long as I didn't beat on it a lot. I have never taken it to the track or done any pulls or really held my foot down on it wot for an extended amount of time. It is what it is. If they pay for it I'll buy studs and have them put in, if not I'll prob do it myself. How hard can it be....lol

04 f350

Reaction score
^^^that's a new one for me...

if you are speaking about the increased spray pattern, maybe but i doubt it.

as far as the tuner leaving a "footprint" it may not technically leave one but if they dig far enough into it they will see the stored U-codes that indicate a communication interruption. there is no way to get rid of those.

ps... Nut up to the fact you blew the hg's on the truck and pay to get it fixed right. why are you trying to get ford to warranty a failure that was caused by you???

Hell-i've put new motors in my truck with it still under factory warranty and footed the bill...

Why would he wanna pay if he could possibly get it done for free under warranty?? And to say you wouldn't jump all over that too is joke....
Thats like sayin they told you they would offer the warranty service for you if you wanted to supply the studs and you would say no? Give me a break guy....

MaxdLaw

Reaction score
Everyone I've talked to said they can pick up sct on a computer but who knows. Good luck. Sounds like just typical cab off 6.0 work.

Irontx

Reaction score
Yall can say what you want..... 5000 miles and the HGs are gone.... on a little baby tune.Ummmm yeah I'm taking it back. Wouldn't be the first time the stealer ship half assed something and hung the customer with it.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
The dbl edged sword with taking it back, gaskets are just gonna blow again and possibly take a head or two with them next time.
The 6.0 came from the factory with too hot of a tune that the engine was not designed to handle so a lil baby tune is all it takes sometimes to take a motor over the line.

OP imo if you are going to continue to mod the motor its a pointless venture to have the dealer re do what has alrdy failed. If you wanna run it stock and for a while then by all means try to have the warranty work re done. Otherwise just do what almost every other one if us has done on this board and get all the basic supporting mods out of the way before you go looking for more power than your alrdy having trouble with.

As for the tuner leaving a mark to find
I had a tech check my truck to see if it had a tune after i bought it. So he hooked up the computer and immiediatly said it had a factory file running. Then he started pointing at all this shyt on the screen that i had no idea what it was and explaining how it deffinatly prieviously had an aftermarket fuel map because of this parameter and that doohicky was not reading correctly along with a bunch of other things like hard stored CE codes that shouldnt have been there. My first clue was that there was a big gob of glue on the dash where the tuner mount was and a **** ton of rubber in the wheel wells from someone doing burnouts. Lol

Idk if any if that is fact but the tech really seemed to know his shyt and he fixed my trailer brake warning light in about 5 seconds. All for free.

Last edited:

black'n'blue

Reaction score
Why would he wanna pay if he could possibly get it done for free under warranty?? And to say you wouldn't jump all over that too is joke....
Thats like sayin they told you they would offer the warranty service for you if you wanted to supply the studs and you would say no? Give me a break guy....

My thoughts exactly. I was only running the tune for 3000 mi or a lil less. I'm thinking when they did the studs, they did something wrong. Shocking, I know. But the dealership I'm taking it to has a really good tech there and I work with his son so he is going to take care of me, but has to make sure he can do it under the radar. As for the studs, I am buying arp and they will put them in.

black'n'blue

Reaction score
Everyone I've talked to said they can pick up sct on a computer but who knows. Good luck. Sounds like just typical cab off 6.0 work.

I have spoken to sct directly and innovative and they both said that the 5015 doesn't leave a footprint of any kind. The tech told me to get it to him and he would scan it just to make sure. Hopefully all goes well

sootie

Reaction score

one word......ethics.

04 f350

Reaction score
one word......ethics.

Please.... Do keep in mind that a 6.0 with STOCK tuning will blow the head gaskets too... A dealership will take advantage of some one in a heartbeat, I see it all the time, especially if the customer bringing the vehicle in for service is a female, so if you wanna have your "ethics" and pay to have it fixed that's your deal bro, have fun.

sootie

Reaction score
Please.... Do keep in mind that a 6.0 with STOCK tuning will blow the head gaskets too... A dealership will take advantage of some one in a heartbeat, I see it all the time, especially if the customer bringing the vehicle in for service is a female, so if you wanna have your "ethics" and pay to have it fixed that's your deal bro, have fun.

do i WANT to pay??? Nooo...

do i pay? yes?!

People like you are the exact reason that businesses have to make money on every corner possible because there are douches around that take advantage of them. if everyone was honest, lots of things would be cheaper---groceries etc.

04 f350

Reaction score
do i WANT to pay??? Nooo...

do i pay? yes?!

People like you are the exact reason that businesses have to make money on every corner possible because there are douches around that take advantage of them. if everyone was honest, lots of things would be cheaper---groceries etc.

We can just end this here because I have alot more I could say but I won't...

OP if you can get it fixed under warranty I say go for it, if not then just pay its that simple, just remember the dealership won't put studs in your truck without you supplying them. I'm not gonna continue derailing your thread because one guy wants to act like he's a Good Samaritan.

sootie

Reaction score
We can just end this here because I have alot more I could say but I won't...

OP if you can get it fixed under warranty I say go for it, if not then just pay its that simple, just remember the dealership won't put studs in your truck without you supplying them. I'm not gonna continue derailing your thread because one guy wants to act like he's a Good Samaritan.

you take the easy way to end it because you know i'm right, on principle.

it's evident by the way you pimp non-sponsors on this site (e.g back road performance) that ethics may or may not have been a part of your upbringing...

however; i wont waste my breath proving what is apparent to everyone but yourself-I'm done.

04 f350

Reaction score
you take the easy way to end it because you know i'm right, on principle.

it's evident by the way you pimp non-sponsors on this site (e.g back road performance) that ethics may or may not have been a part of your upbringing...

however; i wont waste my breath proving what is apparent to everyone but yourself-I'm done.

Yea I tell ya it's crazy the amount of of ppl backing you on your point...

Here we go with your use of "pimp" about BRP, I've already had a private message with a mod saying I was in no wrong in telling anybody to try his tunes out and I will continue to do so and help him grow his business. If you have that much of a problem with it please just keep scrolling thru the threads and carry on with your day. Your not a mod and I will comply with them only, your member as am I. Although your 3300 posts seems to make me think you have nothing better to do during the day other than get butt hurt over every little post.

Stroked777

Reaction score
OP I would just have it done right. I see you in Maryland. Take it to the guys at Maryland performance diesel and have it egr deleted and studded. That way you know it's done right and you can run the hottest tune you want and melt the tires off of it without a worry in the world

black'n'blue

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that replied. This thread kinda went in a direction that was slightly unexpected. I'm buying the arp studs and having them installed whether ford warranties the work or not. I'll be taking it in in the next week or so. I'll post on here what the outcome is. Sootie, maybe I'm not as ethical of a person I should be, but 5k is 5k and if I can avoid paying that and put it into the truck in other mods, I think that is the best outcome. Thanks again

black'n'blue

Reaction score
I have another question in regards to my current situation with the truck. When I noticed it was puking out of the degas bottle, I also saw that on cold start up there was white smoke out of the tailpipe. I let it warm up and It came out until I drove down the road for about a hundred feet then disappeared. No matter how I drove the truck, once the smoke stopped, it didn't start back up until the next cold start. What might this mean? Also when I say cold start, I mean the next day or a few hours later once everything cooled down.