Low pressure fuel pump

Jesse_01

Reaction score
My 3rd pump just failed leaving me and my 4yr old stranded on the side of the rd in 100* heat.

People say that the turbos are the weak point, but a beg to differ.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
3 fuel pumps? Wow never heard of that one before maybe its bad fuel killing them? Fuel filters? Man I were you I would have either gotten rid of the truck or put a aftermarket setup on it.

Jesse_01

Reaction score
3 fuel pumps? Wow never heard of that one before maybe its bad fuel killing them? Fuel filters? Man I were you I would have either gotten rid of the truck or put a aftermarket setup on it.
I found out the fuel goes through the lpfp before any filters. The filters are to protect the hpfp.

I am going to stick a filter system on my tidy tank. Never ran into a issue before. But I guess the 6.7 lpfp are sensitive.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I found out the fuel goes through the lpfp before any filters. The filters are to protect the hpfp.

I am going to stick a filter system on my tidy tank. Never ran into a issue before. But I guess the 6.7 lpfp are sensitive.

I thought the 6.4 LPFP were sensitive LOL. Come to think of it I think the LPFP on my 6.fo dually is dying its making some weird noises. Did yours make weird noises before it died or did it just die out of the blue?

Jesse_01

Reaction score
I thought the 6.4 LPFP were sensitive LOL. Come to think of it I think the LPFP on my 6.fo dually is dying its making some weird noises. Did yours make weird noises before it died or did it just die out of the blue?
My first 2 became louder, this one just crapped out with no warning.

The 6.0 lpfp would pump gravel through lol.

Super08Duty

Reaction score
I've heard and seen a lot more 6.4 lpfps fail then 6.7s. I would be looking at where I was filling up with that many pump failures. Change your filters at every oil change. My bet is you have bad fuel quality or something in the pump wiring is messed up

Jesse_01

Reaction score
I've heard and seen a lot more 6.4 lpfps fail then 6.7s. I would be looking at where I was filling up with that many pump failures. Change your filters at every oil change. My bet is you have bad fuel quality or something in the pump wiring is messed up

The fuel filters are after the lpfp, so it wouldn't matter how often I changed them. Fuel is always from the busy truck stop card lock, so its always getting used. I am wondering if running a tune demanding more fuel is putting a strain on them.

Also could be a small pin hole from a rock I can't see causing it to suck air. Its really common on our service trucks that drive gravel road.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
The tune will have little effect on the low pressure side, atleast not enough to start destroying pumps on a single hpfp truck. Considering these pumps are keeping up with dual fueler setups, id say the problem is elsewhere. IMO, Colton was suggesting you replace the filters more frequently so the pump isn't pushing restriction. I.e., clogged filters. Free flowing pump, happy pump.

Doesn't ford call for the lpfp lines to be replaced when there are fuel system failures? Just wondering if you're fighting the same issue that took the first one out

Jesse_01

Reaction score
The tune will have little effect on the low pressure side, atleast not enough to start destroying pumps on a single hpfp truck. Considering these pumps are keeping up with dual fueler setups, id say the problem is elsewhere. IMO, Colton was suggesting you replace the filters more frequently so the pump isn't pushing restriction. I.e., clogged filters. Free flowing pump, happy pump.

Doesn't ford call for the lpfp lines to be replaced when there are fuel system failures? Just wondering if you're fighting the same issue that took the first one out
I will ask them about the fuel line part. I do change fuel filters every 6k. You would have to have ran a filter for a extremely long time for it to take out a pump.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I will ask them about the fuel line part. I do change fuel filters every 6k. You would have to have ran a filter for a extremely long time for it to take out a pump.

Well not necessarily IMO. Regardless, I'd look into the repair more than it just being a series of bad pumps. Keep us posted

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The fuel filters are after the lpfp, so it wouldn't matter how often I changed them. Fuel is always from the busy truck stop card lock, so its always getting used. I am wondering if running a tune demanding more fuel is putting a strain on them.

Also could be a small pin hole from a rock I can't see causing it to suck air. Its really common on our service trucks that drive gravel road.
what you talkin bout willis? why in the world would it not be a pre pump filter and a post pump filter?

live life full throttle

Super08Duty

Reaction score

Lpfp pulls fuel from the tank into the filter bowl and then down the line. There is a filter before and after the pump. Your tune has nothing to do with the issue at hand. also, it doesn't necessarily take a long time for a pump to fail because of a clogged filter. One tank of bad fuel could do the damage. It also may not be a fuel quality issue sense you haven't gone through a full fuel system yet.

Ford calls for new lines when the hpfp grenades. Don't believe you have to replace anything else for a lpfp failure.