New Trans

Arisley

Reaction score
Only because what I read doesn't make sense.

I don't think roller bearings reduce stress on a shaft by any amount. They do reduce torque to turn the shaft, and maybe that's what you mean. If the torque to turn is lower it doesn't mean the shaft has less stress. It means the rear axle gets the few extra lb-ft of torque. The shaft still sees the exact same amount

As shown above if the torque to turn the shaft is lower, it just means more torque at the other end of the shaft. The shaft sees the exact same stress either way.

Because it wasn't worth the cost. It adds quite a bit of cost to the transmission for a benefit that is too small to ever be measured. Maybe at extremely high torques it makes sense. I never tested a trans at those levels.

When you're building a several thousand dollar custom transmission you can afford to put roller bearings in. When you have hundreds of thousands of these built every year adding that type of cost adds millions of dollars, and there isn't enough benefit that anyone could actually measure it.

While I agree with everything you said. If you are saving torque, is that not because you are reducing friction? If you reduce friction, do you not reduce heat? If you reduce heat, do you not increase the life span of both the bearing/bushing and the shaft?

Not arguing, just adding to the discussion.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
While I agree with everything you said. If you are saving torque, is that not because you are reducing friction? If you reduce friction, do you not reduce heat? If you reduce heat, do you not increase the life span of both the bearing/bushing and the shaft?

Not arguing, just adding to the discussion.
that is what i was thinking also.. kinda like my reference with the gtp38 vs the gtp38r

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
That's absolutely correct.

The difference in torque lost to a bushing compared to a roller bearing is very small. So the amount of heat generated by a bushing compared to the heat generated by a roller bearing will be incrementally larger. A small increment. So maybe the trans temp will be 201°F instead of 200°F. Will that extend the life of the trans? I doubt it.

If there was enough torque lost that it was causing a 20°F change in the trans temp, then I'd agree it would be worthwhile. But that isn't the case.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Nobody has measured exactly for temperature reduction in comparison to a bushing versus a bearing. Its pretty well known that many built trannys, regardless of builder, tend to run hotter anyway. So how do you measure that? Tear down a stocker and machine it for a bearing? Nobody is going to be willing to pay for that knowledge to be verified.

Its arguable that my setup will triple the stock horsepower and what works in a stock transmission isnt applicable here. To understand the reasoning behind why its being done you'd have to ask the builder. He has stated a few things to me but in conversation so I cant share that without his consent. He has been doing this in the race trannys for a couple years and he believes the observed benefits will carry over to transmissions beings used on street driven trucks as well.

Its certainly not going to increaese the parasitic losses nor will it shorten the service life. Im ok with both of those as the reasoning for doing it alone.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well I finally made a decision LOL. As much as I was originally leaning towards the John Wood, I'm going with a Sam Wyse stage 2. I'll be able to get his sooner and will be more local being 2.5 hours away. I'll be going to North Carolina next month and need a trans by then. Just looking so forward to have a trans that doesn't slip

cbf9703

Reaction score
Well I finally made a decision LOL. As much as I was originally leaning towards the John Wood, I'm going with a Sam Wyse stage 2. I'll be able to get his sooner and will be more local being 2.5 hours away. I'll be going to North Carolina next month and need a trans by then. Just looking so forward to have a trans that doesn't slip
Glad you finally made a decision.... I was starting to wonder if you are secretly a woman LOL

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

greyford1979

Reaction score
Yes. Billet and 300m are used because the shafts are taking a beating trying to transfer power from input to output shaft. By putting roller bearings at each end you may make obsolete bilet or 300m at all but the highest hp levels. Sam is the only one doing it as far as I know. I hoped to have my Trans already but its pulling season and hes got local customers.

I was going to get another twisted but the one I need is 5500 bucks...

Any update yet on yours, when you'll be getting yours?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Any update yet on yours, when you'll be getting yours?

Plot twist....who the ***k knows!? I asked him a month ago if it was going to be another month "no. Definitely not"

Today I made contact and said build one or start writing me a check with "refund" in the memo line.

I have called Irate since they gave him the recommendation but after two calls, one yesterday, and a month ago yesterday, no return call. I didnt buy it from them so im not calling to bawl them out but to ask if this is "normal" in their dealings with him. They arent willing to answer or return a call so ill take that as confirmation.

Id be prepared to drive there if you're not getting anywhere.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Plot twist....who the ***k knows!? I asked him a month ago if it was going to be another month "no. Definitely not"

Today I made contact and said build one or start writing me a check with "refund" in the memo line.

I have called Irate since they gave him the recommendation but after two calls, one yesterday, and a month ago yesterday, no return call. I didnt buy it from them so im not calling to bawl them out but to ask if this is "normal" in their dealings with him. They arent willing to answer or return a call so ill take that as confirmation.

Id be prepared to drive there if you're not getting anywhere.

Sucks to hear man, hope things will be made right and work out for you. I actually went through Corey at CNC fab for mine since I've dealt with him before and is very easy to get a hold of.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Sucks to hear man, hope things will be made right and work out for you. I actually went through Corey at CNC fab for mine since I've dealt with him before and is very easy to get a hold of.

I hear ya...same guy building it at any rate.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well, Wednesday is the big day. I'm headed out to Corey's early in the morning. I decided to pick up a Hydra from him while I'm out there as well, no more having to send out a chip for reburns :joy:

greyford1979

Reaction score
👍

I'm excited for ya!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You and me both lol.

I'm back from Corey's, and damn is it nice having a trans that actually shifts into drive and reverse as soon as you put it in drive and reverse LOL. So far so good, took it easy on the 3 hour trip back home. I did stop to fuel up and just to check that everything was ok. Almost had a heart attack though, I didn't realize I parked right over where somebody had leaked a bunch of fluids on the ground lol.

Corey was super nice and a great guy. Enjoyed meeting him and talking with him.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I ran my hot tune through it today. Good. Shifts pretty good for handling 550ish hp.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update. My trans is still running like a champ. Now the puking coolant, well that's another issue LOL. Thanks again to Corey for making it happen for me.

Latest posts

Members online