New engine build and carnage from the old

78f100

Reaction score
Alright, my black truck developed a rattle after a night at the drag strip a few months ago. I never have time to work on my stuff at the shop so I put a lift in my barn at my new house. Got the cab off last week, finally pulled the motor today. Here is what I found when I got the pan off.
https://youtu.be/gyHvVoNeL38

I have the short block almost done, well I already had it together with stock pistons, (because I had 2 sets). I knew I would be pissed if one cracked so I de lipped and smoothed the bowl on them. I already had the block also.
I don't plan to race it nearly as much as I did in the past so I'm not getting crazy in hopes to go all out on my regular cab in the future. I already had all the parts, only thing I had to buy is a few gaskets, and bearings, and I bought a straub tech cam. Heads are severely cracked but I have another set at the machine shop. Also taking the 75 single off. So here is the list
Stock delipped pistons
Stock rods
Straub tech cam
New ford lifters
Everything below is reused from old engine
Rcd push rods
Rcd valve springs
Diesel dr dual fueler
Elite 110 nozzles
Elite max powers
Elite fuel bowl ******
6.0 manifolds
Up pipes build by me
Suncoast 5r110
Suncoast flex plate
Suncoast converter
I hope to have it going in the next few weeks, I'm excited to be able to tow with it again . I will post some pics soon as I can.

BOSS450

Reaction score
I feel stock rods with max powers is a ballsy move. I'm excited to see this reg cab though. What's your plans for it?

78f100

Reaction score
I ran the max powers for 2+ years on stock rods. Dyno ed at 902. Then went to a 75 single with a healthy shot of nitrous not sure on power but it went 7.40 and broke the trans 3/4 track, trapped 82mph stock rods. I knew the old motor was on barrowed time. It had 50k+ miles on it all above 800hp and never had a rod issue, but the block cracked at a stud. If I keep BP in check and don't use the throttle in a bottle I think I will be fine.
My regular cab will have rods, I don't want 8k in just rods, and pistons for 2 trucks. I already had new pistons and rods so I'm using them. If it runs as well as the old motor I will be happy.

As far as the reg cab I want to run a 4r, rods, probably Morgan's pistons, sure on turbo yet, 150% nozzles and supporting mods.

BOSS450

Reaction score
I completely get your point of two sets of everything. no need to explain that part to me. the power part doesn't scare me as much as that vgt does. Those max powers are torque monsters. Not saying your doing anything wrong or that i would do any difference. Good tuning should solve that problem

78f100

Reaction score
I will add I'm tearing down the old motor, if it has a bent rod then I will likely go ahead with rods in the new one.

Reaction score
Any ideas why it ripped the thrust bearing out? I didn't realize it until I tore my engine down that it utilizes a 180deg thrust....

78f100

Reaction score
I know exactly why... the block has been cracked for years. I sealed the stud where the crack was but it leaked a few times putting coolant in the oil. I resealed it when i found it each time, and i checked the oil regular. It was usually after it had been raced hard, last time was the night it started rattling, and I'm sure the giggle gas was no help either.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.