5R110 Shifts into 4TH?

matoolis

Reaction score
So i replaced my trans awhile back with a used unit with 63k miles, replaced converter, cooler, flushed lines and added an external filter after the change. Anyways, lately i've noticed if i'm in third a give it enough throttle to spin, it'll shift into 4th(noticed this using commanded gear function on SCT livewire) and hang there for a few seconds and eventually it'll go to 2nd very quickly then shift into 6th. Shifts great under normal acceleration or WOT even as long as it has traction. Whats the deal? is it tuning or have i bought another screwed trans?

sootie

Reaction score
doesnt have six gears...and ya-spinning and gaining traction is pretty hard on any trans. if it work properly when not spinning, why worry about it?

kwelch08

Reaction score
I thought they had 6 but only used 4th when really cold sootie. Not trying to say anyone is wrong just making sure I have the correct information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
It is a five speed with two fourth gears. Never possible to shift to "sixth" gear.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
There is no "limp gear." Someone just made that up.

The 5R110 is really two transmissions in one case. There is a two speed in front, with a 1:1 ratio and an overdrive 0.71:1 ratio. Behind that is a three speed with 3.1:1, 1.54:1, and 1:1 ratios.

Here's how it shifts:
First gear is both units in low, 1:1 times 3.1:1 = 3.1:1 overall ratio.
Second is the front in overdrive, the rear didn't change, so 0.71:1 times 3.1:1 = 2.2:1 second gear ratio.
Third gear is the front back in 1:1 and the rear shifts to 1.54:1, so 1:1 times 1.54:1 = 1.54:1 third gear.
I'm going to skip four for a moment.
Fifth gear is normally the next gear in the pattern. This has both units at 1:1, so that's fifth gear ratio.
Sixth gear is the front unit back in overdrive, so 0.71:1 times 1:1 = the overdrive ratio of 0.71:1.

Fourth gear was never intended to be used. It is the front in overdrive and the rear in 1.54:1 ratio, so 0.71:1 times 1.54:1 = 1.09:1 ratio. This is so close to 1:1 that it doesn't make sense to use it in the normal pattern.

When the trans is warmer than 0F it shifts 1-2-3-4-6. Some aftermarket programmers chose to make their units read 5 when they know very well the trans software calls it 6. Maybe they thought their customers were not smart enough to realize this? I don't know.

During the development of the 5R110W we found that the 3-5 shift was nearly impossible to complete when the trans was colder than 0F. We could to the 3-4, and then the 4-6 with no problems, but for reasons I won't go into here the 3-5 was nearly impossible. So we changed the shift pattern when colder than 0F to shift 1-2-3-4-6.

Later on we realized the there is a small window of speed where if you are in sixth gear and floor the go pedal you're just a bit too fast to drop back to third gear, but fifth gear doesn't quite get the acceleration that you want. In this case it actually shifts to fourth gear instead of fifth gear. This gives 9% more torque to the wheels. From fourth gear it can only shift to sixth gear or to third gear. It will NEVER shift 4-5 or 5-4.

And that's my perspective from being a calibration engineer that actually developed the Ford program that runs this transmission.
here you go

My09Ride

Reaction score
;)Jonny... Thank YOU... I had never seen this but knew it was kinda a weird Tranny... This the best I have seen..... WOW Thanks again... I will save this one for future reference. :ford:

Jonnydime

Reaction score
;)Jonny... Thank YOU... I had never seen this but knew it was kinda a weird Tranny... This the best I have seen..... WOW Thanks again... I will save this one for future reference. :ford:

Thank Mark. He is the one who originally dumbed the 5R110 down for everyone.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.