Knock Knock, *** Me

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Yeah hard to say what the oil was and looks like and what the actual failure was. I just feel that if you tune and ****** and increase power then that's the risk that you take. Ford shouldn't have to pay that out. That drives up the cost and we pay in the end. Hence the 80k price tag on trucks these days.

Ill shut up now, in for what Wayne finds out.

Tsgs69400

Reaction score
I do not think that there is a whole lot of the ck-4 flooding the market yet but different regions may be quicker to change than around me.
I just picked up 2 buckets of kendall titanium 10w30 thats the cj-4 to hold me over a while.
Good luck on the repairs bud!

1stock13

Reaction score
I'm also curious about this, its the first I've seen of a rod bearing issue. Are there any obvious relations between the failures? miles? year? date of manufacture?

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
I really wonder if its a low pressure oil pump issue like the 17's are having and some how the rod bearings are getting starved. I heard some where that late 16's and 17's are identical but no proof behind that. This is making me really uneasy about my 16

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I do not think that there is a whole lot of the ck-4 flooding the market yet but different regions may be quicker to change than around me.
I just picked up 2 buckets of kendall titanium 10w30 thats the cj-4 to hold me over a while.
Good luck on the repairs bud!
napa here in new york is already advertising delo ck4 15w40.. I just hope they don't stop the delo cj4..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Tsgs69400

Reaction score
napa here in new york is already advertising delo ck4 15w40.. I just hope they don't stop the delo cj4..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

I buy from a large bulk supplier of Conoco Phillips/ Kendall and the rep told me that most companies will have to convert but some may keep producing a cj-4 specific rating for a legacy line. But this will be more difficult to aquire.
Luckily they are also the largest Motorcraft oil supplier in the region so i can get that as well if needed. FYI, Motorcraft oil is nothing special.

On a separate note, how many have or plan on installing an oil pressure gauge?

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
I buy from a large bulk supplier of Conoco Phillips/ Kendall and the rep told me that most companies will have to convert but some may keep producing a cj-4 specific rating for a legacy line. But this will be more difficult to aquire.
Luckily they are also the largest Motorcraft oil supplier in the region so i can get that as well if needed. FYI, Motorcraft oil is nothing special.

On a separate note, how many have or plan on installing an oil pressure gauge?

I have an oil pressure gauge I installed just for these reasons on my 2015. Also, 5w40 with 5 or 5k miles has the same oil pressure as 15w40 with 5 or 5k miles at hot idle, I don't remember who, but he claimed a almost 10 psi gain with 15w40 at hot idle lol

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
I see 28 psi at hot idle, seems well to me!

Attachments

• 5BD51DF9-D3C6-4981-88C9-AC28A20EB07D.jpg
    5BD51DF9-D3C6-4981-88C9-AC28A20EB07D.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_4156.JPG
    IMG_4156.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 230
  • IMG_4322.JPG
    IMG_4322.JPG
    392.9 KB · Views: 226

Tsgs69400

Reaction score
Where did you tap in for the gauge?
Id like to add a sensor to plug into mine that will plug into an edge cts2 when i get one.

Last edited:

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
Where did you tap in for the gauge?

The first two pics show how I did it on the used oil filter manifold I bought off eBay, this is going on next oil & filter change. The last pic is how it is currently, you do not want to do it like this. It throws oil temp reading way off, much more than you think it would. Granted I have coolant temp reading on my ngauge, I'd still like to have the oil temp reading correct again, that's why I bought the second filter manifold and drilled and tapped it.

Attachments

• IMG_4135.jpg
    IMG_4135.jpg
    984.6 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_4156.JPG
    IMG_4156.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 244
  • IMG_4010.JPG
    IMG_4010.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 241
  • IMG_4009.JPG
    IMG_4009.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 238
  • IMG_3972.JPG
    IMG_3972.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 238

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Yeah hard to say what the oil was and looks like and what the actual failure was. I just feel that if you tune and ****** and increase power then that's the risk that you take. Ford shouldn't have to pay that out. That drives up the cost and we pay in the end. Hence the 80k price tag on trucks these days.

Ill shut up now, in for what Wayne finds out.

That dealer knows exactly what was done to the truck. They said they would warranty it. No one is trying to *** Ford on this.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
It makes more power than stock. Warranty is void that's the risk you take. Guess that's just me tho

Wayne

Reaction score
Erik,

Can you get Wayne to sneak a set of billet rods into the new shortblock? Lol

I could, but bottom end warranty would be out the window from this point on. Not only that, but at what point do you draw the line? I wouldn't personally throw in fancy rods unless I could pull out all the stops on a full build. I like where this is headed anyway. Upgraded turbo, and everything internal stock. This combo should run great for a very long time with a little common sense on the throttle. When that gets boring, build a nice short block and trans, then drop them, along with all the bolt-ons in at that time.

Regarding the warranty; The cause of this motor's failure had nothing to do with power output. it spun either #3 or #7 rod bearing, and it's match on the journal failed. Probable cause is insufficient bearing crush, allowing it to spin. Funny thing is, this was never a problem on the old power strokes back when they had bearing locator tabs, but that's a discussion for somewhere else. 3 & 7 rods got roached, and the crank has pretty deep grooves there. aside from trash passed into them, adjacent rod bearings look flawless. Erik's got great service records including full synthetic 5w40 in the last 20k+ miles. Top end looks great. No extended pulse width burn marks on the pistons either. It's not my call, but I see no reason to pull warranty when there are no signs of abuse. Seems to me that not honoring the warranty here would be like not covering the radiator because it has traction bars. :shrug:

Latest posts

Members online