6.4 engine clatter

Amstaff

Reaction score
I like that the 6.4 engine noise is quieter than the older models but my 08 gets really loud at around 2250rpm. I'm not sure what it is but I know my 2010 didn't do it. Is there something wrong or is it normal?

sootie

Reaction score
check for work rocker arms or broken rocker clips.

could also be injector rattle.

ckrueg

Reaction score
I like that the 6.4 engine noise is quieter than the older models but my 08 gets really loud at around 2250rpm. I'm not sure what it is but I know my 2010 didn't do it. Is there something wrong or is it normal?
On some tunes one of the pilot injection events turns off around then. It really clattered on mine when this happened.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Amstaff

Reaction score
Yeah my h&s tunes do it and so do the GH. Mines really loud as well. Does yours still do it or can it be tuned to not do it?

6.4f350

Reaction score
Mine used to do that, replaced all the rockers when I did head studs and it still did it. I have 5,000 miles on a full build now and it no longer does it. I replaced all the lifters, pushrods, and the cam so who knows what caused it.

You can definitely tell when the pilot injection gets turned off, it will instantly sound like a 7.3. Only happens when you're into the throttle pretty good on my H&S single tune.

Amstaff

Reaction score
Mine instantly changes as well but only with light throttle. I don't know its aggravating as hell though and makes the truck sound like something is wrong.

Amstaff

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a difference depending on which tuning? My 2010 never did it but was tuned with sct and this one does but is tuned with h&s.

Amstaff

Reaction score
check for work rocker arms or broken rocker clips.

could also be injector rattle.

I do think I have a little bit of excess rocker arm noise but I think the noise I'm talking about is pilot injection. I'm not totally sure though.

htes

Reaction score
amstaff did you ever figure out your issue, mine does the same thing, h&s mm, has clatter on light throttle anywhere from 1800-2k rpms. new short block, thought it was rockers so those were just done, still does the same thing. tuner was on when i got the truck so no idea how it sounded before.

Amstaff

Reaction score
Mine was the pilot injection, I had matt at GH change the tuning. But mine would do it at about 2200rpm not as low as yours. So I don't know if it's the same thing but if you have custom tunes it might be worth asking your tuner about it.

ckrueg

Reaction score
I believe the base H&S tunes shut off pilot injection around 2k rpms. Mine would start rattling around then till I changed the tunes up

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

htes

Reaction score
that will be my next step it has the old idp tunes right now which i believe had that issue

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.