Traction Bars

smcox1

Reaction score
Okay so I've been thinking about putting traction bars on my ccsb to help with shifting and I'm going to be building them myself and I've always thought they needed to be in line with the driveshaft but what do you do if you have a two piece drive shaft? Are they still only the length of the drive shaft? Or do you go all the way to the back of the transfer case? If so the things will damn near be parallel with the frame. I'm pretty sure the answer is to go with the same angle and length as the main part of the driveshaft but I want to double check with you guys.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
driveshaft angle has nothing to do with correct geometry on traction bars however, they often end up very similar.

use a heim joint on the frame end and a poly bushing on the other.

i dont have the space to type how much goes into the calculations of how the suspension cycles and where the point of least bind is....

smcox1

Reaction score
So you can't use Heim joints on both ends? And this is why everytime I think about doing this I get overwhelmed and forget about it. It looks so straight forward and then everywhere you look someone is doing it a different way.

sootie

Reaction score
So you can't use Heim joints on both ends? And this is why everytime I think about doing this I get overwhelmed and forget about it. It looks so straight forward and then everywhere you look someone is doing it a different way.

you can, but it transfers all road vibration and harshness thru the entire chassis. not ideal if you ask me...

joe d

Reaction score
Do yall leave them in a neutral state or add a littel pre load. I was going to also use 1/4 inch rubber between my frame mount and frame rail since ill be bolting my mount with 4 bolts or is the extra rubber not needed.

smcox1

Reaction score
The more I think about it they seem like they would always be in a bind whether you hit a pot hole, fill the tank up/the tank empty, or going through dips in driveways.

bluedge8

Reaction score
IMO they need to have same or similar mounts or geometry as the front leaf spring mount. But really I'm speaking out of my azz, I don't really understand how they wouldn't bind most of the time

sootie

Reaction score
Do yall leave them in a neutral state or add a littel pre load. I was going to also use 1/4 inch rubber between my frame mount and frame rail since ill be bolting my mount with 4 bolts or is the extra rubber not needed.

you want it solid mounted, not rubber in between

smcox1

Reaction score
Anybody else have any info? So far all we figured out is how to mount them LOL

smcox1

Reaction score
Helped a lot. I guess the thing to do is just to test it by loading it down and jacking it up.

old man dave

Reaction score
You can use poly Jonny Joints from Currie Industries. That's the same company that make the custom 9" Ford rears. No clanking noises after extended use like the metal Heim joints.

cbf9703

Reaction score
You can use poly Jonny Joints from Currie Industries. That's the same company that make the custom 9" Ford rears. No clanking noises after extended use like the metal Heim joints.
Agreed. I've always used heim joints with the Teflon lining, but haven't done a set in probably 6 years.... will be trying these next time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online