2.5" guys running 37s need your help

sstrobl

Reaction score
im going to be installing my 2.5" carli backcountry kit next weekend. i was planning to run 37x13.5 toyo mts on the stock 20s and buying a spacer if i needed it bad enough. now i found a local guy who wants to buy my stock wheels so im thinking about buying 18s(dont need to). carli recommends 5-5.5" and dan told me i needed to be at 5.5 on the 2.5" kit but there are hardly any wheels out there with a 5.5 BS. my first choice would be method nvs or mesh but they come in 4.5 for 5.7BS. i really want to run toyo mts but they only make them in 13.5 wide which will make radius arm contact without the perfect offset, maybe contact even with the perfect offset. im ok with minor rub at full lock as long as it isnt damaging anything. but im not ok with it rubbing the body near the outside of the fenders. was hoping thered be a few guys here with advice as to the correct offset to have minimal rub. im ok with trimming or removing bumper brackets and some parts of the liner for the desired look of 37s. if nobody has any good ideas i may go with the 315/70/18 mt which is 35.7/13ish but those are a stiffer tire and dont look quite as good in my opinion. let me know what you guys are running

Notneb

Reaction score
So of course my first question is: Why do you need 37's? There's a guy on here by the name of Jomax who used 37's on his rig when he was running a coilover setup and going reaaaal fast off-road. Try PM'n him to ask what he did, I remember he did have to do some trimming but depending on your wheel BS/OS you'll have to trim for 35's too on full lock.

I run 35's and also haul butt off-road and even I had to trim a little bit. If you're just doing it for looks and never leave pavement you should be fine with a lot of wheels out there, but you'll have to trim the right fender well bottom, as it sticks down farther than the driverside and will catch on full right lock with any upward angle.

I run a TIS 534b rim *discontinued* that works perfectly, and for the life of me I can't remember my BS, but I do have a zero offset. Here's how it looks for reference. I'm running a 2.5 carli with full leafs in the rear.
027_zpsr62yt0vu.jpg

055_zpscgd8awwb.jpg

052_zpsizglqzkm.jpg

Profuzz

Reaction score
8861dadda51af7d545065c9541cd8fb2.jpg
315/70×18 fuel hostage 5.5 bs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

CMCx2012

Reaction score
I too run the 35's; Toyo MT's, and I have the Back Country kit with full Deavers out back as well. Carli did tell me the 18's would be much more comfortable for the overall quality of ride, but I thought they'd look dumb.

Above all else, great choice! You will love the setup.

Notneb

Reaction score
I too run the 35's; Toyo MT's, and I have the Back Country kit with full Deavers out back as well. Carli did tell me the 18's would be much more comfortable for the overall quality of ride, but I thought they'd look dumb.

Above all else, great choice! You will love the setup.

Yeah if you're going to be doing off-road heavy activity, the smaller the rim, the better the ride. On pavement, a bigger rim will feel more stable. Put it this way, with my 35's, on 18" rims, if I don't air up to about 65psi + on my tires, she likes to wander around :p

sstrobl

Reaction score
yes the 37s are just for looks. truck is 99% pavement queen. there isnt much for offroad trails here like you and jomax have out in the desert. ive seen his rig but i dont remember what hes running for wheels and BS. those 315/70s look pretty good on your truck profuzz. thats prolly what ill end up going with i was just hoping i could do 37s as ive seen alot of trucks running stock rim and 37 combos. toyo makes the RTs in a 37x12.5 which would be alot better to clear my stock arms but i really dont think the rts look nearly as good and from what ive heard they can have a left pull which isnt really correctable. i thought running aftermarket would provide better offsets to run 37s but im not finding hardly anything that i like with a 5.5 BS. ive never seen the hostage offered in 5.5 where did u get those profuzz?

sstrobl

Reaction score
8861dadda51af7d545065c9541cd8fb2.jpg
315/70×18 fuel hostage 5.5 bs

how do those tires ride? i know they are stiffer sidewall then the 35 and 37 mts so im worried that will counteract the expensive lift i just bought. any pull to them? running a stabilizer?

Profuzz

Reaction score
No pull ,no stabilizer ! They ride well for the size I run them at 45 front 40 in the rear ! Only thing first 500 miles or so they are a little squirmy feeling! it goes away though .noise is not to terrible little Humm at highway speed

sstrobl

Reaction score
Yeah I just found them with the right bs maybe I'll go that route I always liked those

Profuzz

Reaction score
Just don't do pvd chrome

TripleE44

Reaction score
2.5" guys running 37s need your help

I've got the BMF DRTs or I guess the SOTA DRTs now in a 17x8.5. I don't remember the offset but I'm sure you could find it. I doubt there's more than one. And I have the toyo RT in a 37x13.50r17, which is significantly skinner than the MT in the same size. My trucks got a 2.5" kit but I've also got a 1" spacer, just because I'd prefer the front a little higher. I don't think that changes the fitment at all.

Moved the bumper bracket over a little, and bent the liner back and no rub. But mine is also a street queen as well. I have no idea if it would hurt something in a serious off-road situation.

As far as the ride, I came from 35" AT2s on 20x10s, and the ride is incredibly better. I changed nothing but wheels and tires. Even the same tire pressure. It's nuts, really.

Pic just for reference.
1bae2bb28733247769f29bd0ec55754d.jpg

Last edited:

sstrobl

Reaction score
I've got the BMF DRTs or I guess the SOTA DRTs now in a 17x8.5. I don't remember the offset but I'm sure you could find it. I doubt there's more than one. And I have the toyo RT in a 37x13.50r17, which is significantly skinner than the MT in the same size. My trucks got a 2.5" kit but I've also got a 1" spacer, just because I'd prefer the front a little higher. I don't think that changes the fitment at all.

Moved the bumper bracket over a little, and bent the liner back and no rub. But mine is also a street queen as well. I have no idea if it would hurt something in a serious off-road situation.

As far as the ride, I came from 35" AT2s on 20x10s, and the ride is incredibly better. I changed nothing but wheels and tires. Even the same tire pressure. It's nuts, really.

Pic just for reference.
1bae2bb28733247769f29bd0ec55754d.jpg

I love the look of your truck! Big reason why I want to squeeze 37s! But Carlo is telling me that even with the perfect bs I'll stay contact the radius arms pretty good but that's talking MT so maybe the Rt would help with that. I'll have to look into ur rims and see what spacing they are. I'm thinking that extra inch is prolly helping you out with clearance

sstrobl

Reaction score
Do you have any pull or a stabilizer? I've read some have a left radial pull and that worries me a bit

TripleE44

Reaction score
I have no pull, and in fact when I put the tires and wheels on, I only had the factory stabilizer. I've since replaced it with a fox replacement, just because I figured it was time.

I also don't know about the radius arm. I've got PMF 3links and I think they're offset some to help with that. I did have a wide tire on my 08 stock 20s that rubbed the radius arm at full lock. Never hurt anything, just rubbed the paint off a little. Nothing id be afraid of at all.

Clean-15

Reaction score
Method and Fuel both have 18x9 +20 and +18 which will be perfect. I'd suggest not doing the 37/13.5 m/t, it's going to contact the fender more than you want. Get the 315's or the r/ts. I run a less aggressive smallish 37 and anything more and I'd be hacking up the fenders. George from 8lug has 37/13.5's but he had to trim quite a bit. Check out their blog for a write up on what he had to do.

Profuzz

Reaction score
Not very durable ! Scratches very easy .fuel won't stand behind the finish😠

MT_Diesel

Reaction score
I have the same dilemma as the OP so I'm interested to see what he does and how it works out. Mine is icon leveled with a 5" rear block and PMF 3-link. Would like to run 37" RTs, can't decide between between 18" or 20" wheels. 18" should be better riding for small bump compliance, but I like to drive fast on twisty highways so the stability of the 20" appeals to me. Plus the RT comes in a 37x12.5 for the 20" wheel but only a 37x13.5 for the 18". The narrower tire should help with clearance & rubbing if the backspacing is dialed.

OP, if you like the Method NV's check out the Walker Evans 504 Legacy wheels. They have the same look as the NV's, are good quality (as far as the limited info I found), and are a little cheaper. More importantly, they have better backspacing options to fit in the 5.0"-5.5" range that Dan from Carli recommends. Be sure to let us know what you end up going with, I'm going down the same road later this year.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.