Factory Head unit with aftermarket sub, speakers, and amps

The Butcher

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my sound system (2015 F250 Platinum), but keep the factory head unit and want the full functionality of the nav, blue-tooth, etc. I plan to do two JL 13" shallow mount subs behind the rear seat, stick two JL amps under the rear bench, and then upgrade the speakers in all 4 doors. I haven't settled on a speaker for the doors, but I've got Hertz and Morel in my Excursion and think they both sound good. Anyone have recommendations on how to wire all of that up? I'll have a local shop install it, but I like to have an idea of how it is all run. A

nyone know how many factory speakers there are in these trucks? Is there a center speaker in the dash, and if so how do you configure that in a system like I'm describing. Plan was to do a 1000w JL mono amp for the subs, and then a JL 4 channel for the doors. If there is a 5th center channel speaker, how do you power that? Thanks for any insight.

slightlymodded

Reaction score
Usually putting aftermarket speakers in they use a ford plug to connector adapter. I don't know about the new trucks but on my 06 I'm running a stock HU, I used a scorsche line out converter to convert the speaker outputs from the HU to RCA and then RCA to the amp, then all my speakers run off the amp.

brock1129

Reaction score
Usually putting aftermarket speakers in they use a ford plug to connector adapter. I don't know about the new trucks but on my 06 I'm running a stock HU, I used a scorsche line out converter to convert the speaker outputs from the HU to RCA and then RCA to the amp, then all my speakers run off the amp.

I've seen some people starting with lock pick from 4d audio. I think they have one unit that flattens the stock eq allowing for better sound from aftermarket speakers..

bigbrdf250

Reaction score
The butcher

Did u decide on anything? I too would like to upgrade and want 2 13's behind the seat also. Actually sub,amp and door speakers less head unit.

GaMike

Reaction score
I would contact Brian Howell @ Sound Sensations. They are a large Hertz dealer and JL dealer. He took care of me. Brian is one of the only guys I trust. PM me for info.

The Butcher

Reaction score
The butcher

Did u decide on anything? I too would like to upgrade and want 2 13's behind the seat also. Actually sub,amp and door speakers less head unit.

I went with Focal KRX2 for the front stage, and two JL 12" behind the seat. Running JL HD750/1 for the subs and HD600/4 wired to the Focal in front and factory rears. Used the Audio Control DQ 61 for interface with the factory head unit. Wasn't impressed at first. Took it back a couple of days later and they retuned the Audio Control a bit, and I let the speakers break in more, and now it sounds really good. Not convinced it's better than the Hertz front stage I have in my Excursion though. Excursion has Hertz up front, Morel for second door speakers, six 8" solo-baric Kickers, all powered by Alpine amps and a Kenwood head unit. Not sure if it's the Hertz I like better than the Focals, or the sound processing provided by the Kenwood head unit. I'm considering adding the Mosconi 6to8 to get some sound processing in the mix. I was wanting to add some door speakers in the back, but the consensus has been to bi-amp the front stage off the JL 600/4 and use the Mosconi to tune it all.

All of that said, the set up I have currently in the 2015 does sound really nice. Plenty of bass off the two 12's as opposed to going up the to 13's.

The Butcher

Reaction score
Got some pics?

Thought I had some on this computer, but can't find them. My sub box looks like the one in this pic, just with 12's instead of 13's. More than enough bass with the 12's in my opinion. I have since switched out the DQ61 for a Mosconi 6to8v8 and had it tuned properly by a guy that knows what he is doing, and it sounds fantastic. Took about 3 hours to get it tuned, but well worth the time spent!

Attachments

• JL 13 behind seat.jpg
    JL 13 behind seat.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 112

CMCx2012

Reaction score
I am going with the FOCAL brand up front on my 2011 Lariat, and maybe the LOCKPICK, CLEANSWEEP and some 10" JL subs out back... Still deciding :fustrate:

RyanD

Reaction score
Ive read about some lockpick issues with our trucks, did they clear them up? I had one in my Jeep commander to retrofit a mygig system into a non mygig vehicle and aside from the clunky interface, it worked great. I miss the front camera and my '13 sure could use one.

CMCx2012

Reaction score
Please just chime in on this Hertz question for me.

I decided to use the Hertz up front after multiple dealers and other audio-heads basically killed the Focal off as far the two brands were concerned, but what would I go with in size for those front door speakers? Would you recommend the 5.25 or 6.5? I keep hearing the 5.25 will clear as far as the depth, but I really want the 6.5 overall!

Sub-wise, I chose ONE 10TW3 JL in a custom box. I really didn't need to spend 800+ on two subs and I am sure that there wont be much of a big deal if I just ran one sub.

Latest posts

Members online