A Turbosmart BOV?!

CMCx2012

Reaction score
Yes, a BOV! A Turbosmart one!!

Now that you guys are done laughing, how do you feel about the idea of throwing one on your 6.7 build(s)?

My decision to go with a BOV was because I know it does the job in protecting a $2500+ turbocharger investment! Aside from all of the other costs associated with modifying this truck, another $400 won't force us into a foreclosure any time soon. For the record, I am willing to bet that ever since the moment you first heard that Youtube video of the Cummins with a BOV, well, I am sure that we all thought it was cool and probably imagined one on our PSD! Truth be told, a badass black truck with a badass aftermarket turbo that whistles like an F-35 also needs a badass blow off valve!! Yeah, I went there..

All kidding aside, I have been looking at the benefits of incorporating a BOV into my build since day one and the Turbosmart units seem like an excellent choice. After a lot of comparing and reviews, the Big Bubba 52mm VTA unit from Turbosmart with an electronic controller fits the bill. All the information that you need (if you are curious) is in the link below.

http://www.dieselarmy.com/engine-te...smarts-blow-off-valve-helps-relieve-pressure/

What do you guys think?

Josh @ (THE DIESEL CARTEL) will be sure to take care of all of your Diesel performance needs, including the entire Turbosmart line! I will be uploading video and pictures throughout the installation.

Last edited:

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
I think they make a great gate. I had 3 on my Cummongs.

Not sure if you really need one for what your doing...

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I ran a 50mm Turbosmart Race valve on my Procharged Ram R/T.
Annoying as *** if you ask me and you'll probably say the same thing after you live with one for a while.

CMCx2012

Reaction score
I do want to incorporate a TS wastegate, but no one ever said to go with one. I am new to the game of aftermarket turbocharging on a diesel truck and as I stated previously, I want to go with a BOV that has the "vent to atmosphere" sound, but as UNBROKEN puts it I really don't want to be stuck with a BOV that is so extreme that it is basically overkill and will make me annoyed with it after time. I wanted something a tad louder than the standard Race Port BOV, but all I have to go on is feedback from the actual owners who have them installed on their trucks. To make matters worse, there are only a limited number of videos and/or sound clips of diesel trucks with these BOV's installed :(

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
With an automatic trans where the rpm's don't drop when you let off the throttle...you'll get the sound you're talking about any time you let off the pedal. It's not like a manual where there's a loud whoosh and it stops...it never stops. Its not nearly as cool in reality as it is I your head.

4EverBoosted1

Reaction score
I have a Tial BOV on mine and it works well, it is extremely loud when I drop the pedal lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rule12b

Reaction score
OK, again, I may be out of line because I'm using experience with gas applications. . .When putting together a high boost TT build, we went away from BOV and used recirc valves instead because we were concerned about venting air from the closed system after it was measured by the MAF. People use them all day long, so maybe our concerns about messing with the metered air as it drove fuel delivery were necessary. But I do seem to recall that was why we avoided BOV's.

The one in the link does seem like it would work with an automatic as well as a manual based on how the controller operates though.

Also, a wastegate is typically used on the exhaust side to limit spool so I don't usually see BOV's and wastage's as interchangeable even though they operate in similar functions. Again, I don't claim to be a master engineer, this is just my understanding. . .

Last edited:

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
WG and BOV are two totally different things. The reason that I run a BOV is because my truck is a manual and it helps alleviate the pressure spikes when I am in and out of the throttle. I AutoX my truck quite a bit, so I was being really hard on turbos. The BOV allows me to have the turbo continue to spin the correct direction when I let out of the throttle. That way, when I roll back into the throttle, I can regain spool faster. In an automatic truck, I don't see it helping as much unless you are constantly in and out of the throttle under high boost.

Latest posts

Members online