2013 Shut Off While Driving

PDT1081

Reaction score
Leaving work Thursday night, my truck shut off about 150 feet from my parking spot. I was idling in gear when it happened. Hit the key and it restarted, but died again as soon as I tried to put it in gear. After that it would crank for 30 seconds and not start. Tried it a couple times before I decided to call for a tow (Had to either drive through construction zone with no shoulder or drive through the "hood" to get home). Two and a half hours later, the truck started right up and drove on the truck. Fired right up and drove off as well.

Yesterday, dealership pulled codes and found none. They drove it for awhile and couldn't duplicate the problem. I have the truck now and am going to try to get it to do it again over the long weekend. Anybody have ideas on where to look? Truck's still under warranty.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Fuel filters? Just a guess......

I thought about that, but there's only about 2500 miles on the current ones. It ran fine for the dealership. I always fill up at the same station if I can, and haven't filled up elsewhere for 4,000 miles or so. They said they took it on s rather long test drive while they monitored everything, and it ran great.

We're thinking it may be related to the Remote Access module, but haven't tested that theory yet. Gonna try that today when I have some time to wait/rip it out.

PDT1081

Reaction score
whats done to the truck?

Nothing. Only things I've added are Remote Access, factory fog lights, upfitter switches, cb, and a light bar. I've put over 600 miles on it since I got it back from the dealer on Friday, and (knock on wood) it hasn't even hiccuped.

sootie

Reaction score
seen similar things when egt sensors fail. any codes?

PDT1081

Reaction score
Had the truck act up again tonight. Drove 45 minutes then shut it off. Few minutes later when I went to start it up it just cranked. Wouldn't fire. Waited about 5 minutes and it fired right off. Tried pulling codes and didn't find any.

stroker221

Reaction score
Possible shorting out somewhere? Just curious because I pulled my pillar off a year or so ago to hide some wires. Drove fine for a hundred miles then the next day I was driving it and it just shut off, (everything). So I coasted to a stop and started testing fuses and it blew two. Popped pillar back off and I noticed a pinched wire. Problem solved

PDT1081

Reaction score
P0087 and P228e. Driving home tonight I get the "reduced engine power" message on the dash. Found out that "reduced engine power" actually meant the truck shuts the **** off right now. Luckily, I was able to coast off the side of the road as I had just turned from a stop sign. Check engine light came on this time so I pulled codes real quick and got these two. I hit the key and the engine fired right up and I drove home. My wife is taking it to the dealer tomorrow.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
P0087 and P228e. Driving home tonight I get the "reduced engine power" message on the dash. Found out that "reduced engine power" actually meant the truck shuts the **** off right now. Luckily, I was able to coast off the side of the road as I had just turned from a stop sign. Check engine light came on this time so I pulled codes real quick and got these two. I hit the key and the engine fired right up and I drove home. My wife is taking it to the dealer tomorrow.

P228E - Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Exceeded Learning Limits - Too Low

P0087 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low

PDT1081

Reaction score
Yeah, when I had it towed in it hadn't set any codes. 2500 miles later, it dies again and this time set codes. Hopefully this means they can fix the problem this time.

Latest posts

Members online