carrillo rods

Pan4905

Reaction score
Those that have put in Carrillo rods, I started putting pistons in yesterday afternoon. Put the first 2 in and when I went to turn the block over to make sure nothing was binding, the cap for the rod hits on a portion of the block that sticks out. Does anyone know off hand if the cylinder skirts will have to ground down also? I wasn't able to spin the motor all the way over because of where it was hitting.

Got frustrated and shut it down for the day. Now I have to take everything apart that I've already done to grind down everything, have the block recleaned, and start over. Gonna get back at it this afternoon. Just looking for advice before I start. Sure wish I would have known this before I started putting it all together

Pan4905

Reaction score
Pretty normal situation. I had to discuss this as well. If you re-learn it you'll need new bearings and such.

I wouldn't assume its a good idea to grind the block and not have it re-cleaned?

I'm obviously learning as I go. I expected to put the rods in and go.

I'm getting guidance from a mechanic friend. He mostly just does headstuds and ******s. He's done a few rebuilds, but with factory components.

sootie

Reaction score
Yep. The ones Morgan at Midwest Diesel sells. I believe he gets them made to his spec by R&R (or did)

White_monster

Reaction score
I honestly took a chisel and knocked the piece that was being hit off. No grinding involved. Is that the best way to do it? No. But I wasn't about to tear the engine down and buy new cam bearings and such. In the future I know to machine that piece off before assembly starts.

Pan4905

Reaction score
I honestly took a chisel and knocked the piece that was being hit off. No grinding involved. Is that the best way to do it? No. But I wasn't about to tear the engine down and buy new cam bearings and such. In the future I know to machine that piece off before assembly starts.

I ended up just tearing it all down and grinding off what needed to be taken off. I'll have it re washed Monday and hopefully start all over Tuesday. I had to grind the tab sticking out from the block and the cylinder skirts to get everything to clear.

Pan4905

Reaction score

You used a chisel on the cylinder skirts also?

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
we ground down the areas where the rod hits, I had some knowledge of this before we started on our first motor so we checked this first.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.