Bucking/ Surge at highway speeds.

kersey1999

Reaction score
Hey all, lets start with the important info:
Year of truck: 2004

Motor: 6.0 Powerstroke

Mods: EGR ******, Superchips Tuner Performance MOD, new oil cooler.

Anything you've done recently: I have just replaced #1 and #2 Injectors, removed and cleaned IPR and EGR since my problem has started

How is the truck primarily used: Typically drive 28 mile round trip back and forth to work.
Some driving to kids events and grocery store.
When did the issue start, and if it's intermittent or all the time: Last Tuesday night I was driving to my dads outside of Birmingham, just got on the interstate and reached 75 miles per hour. I heard something like it was spraying near the fire wall and the truck began bucking/surging. I found I left the TPS unplugged at some point, but plugged it in and thought that was my issue, I also pulled the IPR and cleaned it and reinserted it. Then tonight on the way home tonight I got on the interstate and about 3 miles down the road it started again. Once under 60 mph or so, truck runs great. I dont get it.

Anything else that might pertain to the issues at hand: I have researched this and find multiple suggestions for repair but really dont want to throw sensors at it when it could be something completely off topic.

Any codes, and what are you reading codes with: I believe the code thrown was P2285 Injector Control Pressure Circuit Low, I will try to repeat to enure code.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and I will post final results from each suggestion.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Early build or late build? Icp sensors on the early ones xhit themselves all the time, and contaminate the pigtail with oil. Your voltage should be .23v koeo read on a scan tool. That voltage doesent matter if its early or late. If its anything below id say .21, or above .25, replace the sensor and pigtail with ford parts, not cheap autozone chit or somethin.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
That means its a late build. Those sensors dont chit out as much, but it is still possible.

kersey1999

Reaction score
OK guys the ICP voltage is 0.2, I wish it would read further in decimals but that is as far as it goes. So I am going to say that the ICP is fine at this point. I was able to get it to repeat the issue this morning, but not capable of catching the code again. I am going to pull the ICP this evening and attempt to leak test it, I really and beginning to believe that it is a HPO leak in the passenger side valve cover by the hissing sound that I hear prior to the bucking/surging issue. Any other suggestions that you guys would like to provide I will definitely take a look at them. Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
You wont be able to hear a hi pressure leak with it running. Im guessing the hissing you hear is a different thing. Dont know if it has anything to do with your issue or not. Also check your ebp pressure koeo to map and baro, they should be damn close. The hissing may be vgt related, which could also cause issues, but shouldnt yhrow your p2285 code.

kersey1999

Reaction score
Checked EBP, Baro, and Map all within .5 of each other KOEO. I hope to buy a leak test kit to test it with covers off. Only reason I am looking at this is because I replaced a fuel injector on both sides and really question whether I didnt get something back correct or maybe pinched an upper oring on the injectors, or stand/dummy plug. Not sure that any of these would throw that code or not. I am grasping for any thing at this point. I agree that VGT shouldnt throw a injector code but I am 2 yeas old with this Diesel thing. But still a huge fan and always a Ford man. Best company I ever worked for by far!

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
You shouldnt have to. If you fix the issue, it will be fixed. The only thing resetting the kam will do, is relearn everything quicker, as far as egr flow, idle speed, mfdesired, etc. Its kind of a moot point on a tuned truck, as the tunes fix all that.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
P2290 is icp too low right? If it is that indicates there is an icp pressure problem. I would be leaning towards a pump at this point.

kersey1999

Reaction score
I am going to pull truck in garage this weekend, leak test and see what comes of it. Truly think I may have pinched an injector top seal or dummy plug/stand pipe oring. I will repost when I know more. How can I close the ipr without a IDS/AE device. Is there a way to run direct voltàge to it to actuate?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yeah, make a pigtail out of an old 7.3 uvc harness injector pigtail, or if you have an old harness you can use that. Do not apply voltage to the ipr for 2min or more, says this in the workshop manual ive never tried to see what happens....

kersey1999

Reaction score
Ok guys sorry for the long delay, finally got everything resolved. Took passenger side valve cover off, removed the oil rail and found split injector upper seal. Replaced that seal, reassembled everything, changed oil and oil filter, and also changed the crush gaskets at the ******d egr (both ends). Once I got everything back together, took it for skittle drive, though afraid to go out on highway, but eventually did. No bucking/surging issues anymore.

fordboy11

Reaction score
If I was you I would change your injectors if you just blew a oring I'm sure others are not far behind. I see this all to often a guy can only afford one injector and a month later a different one goes out.

Latest posts

Members online