mishimoto silicone hoses

silver6four

Reaction score
Time to replace mine and stumbled across these on accident. . Anybody have any thoughts or reviews on these babies. They sure look sexy and all but have a pretty hefty price tag. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks fellas

black'n'blue

Reaction score
I have their coolant bypass kit on my truck and it came with a molded one piece hose for the degas/radiator side. It's nicer than any other kit out there.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1427643778959.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1427643778959.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 154

silver6four

Reaction score
Yes i am talking about the radiator hoses. I reallylike the idea of the machined couplers vs the factory plastic ones and also the double o rings on both ends.. but very expinsive.. silicon hoses always are tho.. juat wondering if anybody here is running them and if they are worth the $ or just a somewhat a waste..

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Time to replace mine and stumbled across these on accident. . Anybody have any thoughts or reviews on these babies. They sure look sexy and all but have a pretty hefty price tag. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks fellas

Thanks for the interest in our hoses! This kit is extremely high quality and provides a great replacement set for the stock plastic units. We covered the development of this kit on our blog below.

http://engineering.mishimoto.com/?cat=221

Let me know if I can answer any specific questions about our coolant hose kit.

-John

I have their coolant bypass kit on my truck and it came with a molded one piece hose for the degas/radiator side. It's nicer than any other kit out there.

Thanks for the feedback!

I like the Riffraff ones better, had a mishimoto one fail on the hot side intercooler lower boot before.
http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/complete-cac-intercooler-boot-kit-08-10/

Interesting. We have had very few, if any, reports of boot failure. Did the boot tear or just separate from the pipe?

Thanks
-John

Yes i am talking about the radiator hoses. I reallylike the idea of the machined couplers vs the factory plastic ones and also the double o rings on both ends.. but very expinsive.. silicon hoses always are tho.. juat wondering if anybody here is running them and if they are worth the $ or just a somewhat a waste..

We recently ran a discounted pre-sale on this kit for forum members. These folks should have received their kits and hopefully will be able to post their feedback and/or opinions.

-John

silver6four

Reaction score
So my next question is....im at about 60,000 miles on factory radiator..about to flush coolant and change out my hoses.. should i go ahead and do a new radiator while im draining coolant and changing hoses or not?? Save myself the $ of coolant and additive when the dam stock starts leaking by the middle of the summer or cross that bridge when it comes..seems to me that alot of them start leaking from 50-75,000 miles...and do my cab isolators at the same time?? Im open to all opinions..

eiorg9

Reaction score
i too would love to get the mishimoto radiator hoses. I have their radiator in my truck and have been very happy. I too think the couplers are super awesome and getting them in blue would be so awesome but i am like yourself, i feel they are a little pricey. Ford only updated 2 of the 3 hoses which i only had to pay like 170 for both hoses. The 3rd hose has not been changed by ford at all. I too am a huge mishimoto fan but i too think they are just too much but i understand that quality costs $ but dang 550? I think ill just keep saving for their intercooler but i would def suggest adding one of their radiators to your setup.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I have had problems with silicone boots also. Split the middle twice and the third was about too when I put diesel site boots on. I need to get a spare set have a longer than normal trip coming up.

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Looks good. Nice set up.

Thanks!

So my next question is....im at about 60,000 miles on factory radiator..about to flush coolant and change out my hoses.. should i go ahead and do a new radiator while im draining coolant and changing hoses or not?? Save myself the $ of coolant and additive when the dam stock starts leaking by the middle of the summer or cross that bridge when it comes..seems to me that alot of them start leaking from 50-75,000 miles...and do my cab isolators at the same time?? Im open to all opinions..

My advice would be to stick with the stock unit unless you notice any seepage or damage. It seems as if not all 6.4L owners experience radiator failure. Perhaps you are one of the lucky ones!

i too would love to get the mishimoto radiator hoses. I have their radiator in my truck and have been very happy. I too think the couplers are super awesome and getting them in blue would be so awesome but i am like yourself, i feel they are a little pricey. Ford only updated 2 of the 3 hoses which i only had to pay like 170 for both hoses. The 3rd hose has not been changed by ford at all. I too am a huge mishimoto fan but i too think they are just too much but i understand that quality costs $ but dang 550? I think ill just keep saving for their intercooler but i would def suggest adding one of their radiators to your setup.

Thanks! Keep in mind that $550 is our MSRP. Our vendors will have this hose kit with the best available pricing (Around $495). Yes, this may still seem steep to some. You must consider the value we are including with the machined CNC hose connections. These hoses turned out great and we have a ton of pleased customers thus far.

Thanks for the interest!

It tore in the middle of the boot, not even near where the clamp goes onto the boot.

I have had problems with silicone boots also. Split the middle twice and the third was about too when I put diesel site boots on. I need to get a spare set have a longer than normal trip coming up.

Interesting. We actually performed some boot testing in our shop last week. We were comparing pressure tolerance with a stock 6.0L boot and our more robust replacement. The stock boot ruptured right around 90 psi while our boot held 125 psi without issue. This test did not incorporate any heat, however it still provided an idea of maximum pressure.

Did you guys happen to go through our warranty process to acquire replacement boots?

-John

tbsimmons

Reaction score
The biggest problem is silicone can't take the temp out of the turbo on the 6.4. More so if the trucks regen. Mine didn't come from you guys but was told close to the same pressures when I bought them. Might hold that high at Standard Temp but raise the air inside to what a 6.4 does out of the high pressure turbo for an hour plus consistent and I bet it will start to deteriorate.
Below was a picture of mine.
22d134799fc84298ce10a188805fe980.jpg

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

Mishimoto

Reaction score
It tore in the middle of the boot, not even near where the clamp goes onto the boot.

Interesting. Any chance you still have the failed boot? We would be interested in analyzing the failure to see why this happened. We utilize 4 layers of silicone with an sythetic inner Duracore layer which provides additional resistance to heat, pressure, and fuel.

The biggest problem is silicone can't take the temp out of the turbo on the 6.4. More so if the trucks regen. Mine didn't come from you guys but was told close to the same pressures when I bought them. Might hold that high at Standard Temp but raise the air inside to what a 6.4 does out of the high pressure turbo for an hour plus consistent and I bet it will start to deteriorate.
Below was a picture of mine.

Quite a failure! Not sure the thickness or ply of this piece so I cannot provide a comment as to whether or not our boot would outlast it in a similar situation. We designed these boots to take just about any level of heat and pressure the 6.4L can generate. As mentioned above, we are extremely surprised to see a report of one of our boots tearing.

Thanks
-John

tbsimmons

Reaction score
The 2 failures I had that blew the middle out were 5 Silicone layers and 4 reinforcement layers.
I have one that was on the truck for only 2 trips over a grade and it already started to expand approx. 1/4" larger in diameter in the middle.
I was told burst was 200 PSI and working was 50 PSI.
Heat was the a reason the stock upper boot was replaced with an orange layer on the inside. I blew the stock one, but it ass holed itself, the middle didnt blow.
I have a crankcase vent re-route so oil was not an issue with the silicone ones only the stock one. I still go back to heat. Silicone can not take a continuous 400+ degrees. I dont have temps coming out of the high pressure turbo but I bet they are close to that when pulling long grades loaded down.

silver6four

Reaction score
i have to say that mishimoto response and input is very impressive to me..nice to see them trying to help and also giving honest down to earth advise as it seems to me.. pushes me closer to wanting to use their product..

Mishimoto

Reaction score
The 2 failures I had that blew the middle out were 5 Silicone layers and 4 reinforcement layers.
I have one that was on the truck for only 2 trips over a grade and it already started to expand approx. 1/4" larger in diameter in the middle.
I was told burst was 200 PSI and working was 50 PSI.
Heat was the a reason the stock upper boot was replaced with an orange layer on the inside. I blew the stock one, but it ass holed itself, the middle didnt blow.
I have a crankcase vent re-route so oil was not an issue with the silicone ones only the stock one. I still go back to heat. Silicone can not take a continuous 400+ degrees. I dont have temps coming out of the high pressure turbo but I bet they are close to that when pulling long grades loaded down.

Thanks for the information tb! The layer count certainly sounds pretty similar to the boots we offer. The interior layer (Fluoroelastomer) of our boots is rated to over 550F, while the silicone exterior is rated to accept over 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Typical factory intercooler inlet temperatures do not exceed 300-350 degrees, at least that is what we have seen with our testing.

What particular boots are you running now?

-John

i have to say that mishimoto response and input is very impressive to me..nice to see them trying to help and also giving honest down to earth advise as it seems to me.. pushes me closer to wanting to use their product..

Thanks for the kind words!

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Diesel Site. They have been holding. I can try a set if you guys want. In have about 45 PSI now towing the trailer climbing hills.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.