redhead steering box

twitch02x

Reaction score
Having a redhead unit put on today and going to replace power steering pump and maybe lines, is there any recommendations for a good fluid to run. I see the dodge guys have decent luck with a certain fluid but can't remember the name.

f350guy

Reaction score
I am curious how you like that box.

My OE box leaks and pisses me off as it has leaked for quite some time.

twitch02x

Reaction score
Well got the box on but discovered the track bar bushing is shot so gonna install new one in morning then will report back

Wingnut

Reaction score
Any update on how you like the box? My stock one leaks as well. Been thinking about a redhead for quite sometime.

twitch02x

Reaction score
Yea iT is much tighter than my factory unit, very little slack in wheel while driving. Still kinda hard to turn wheel at a dead stop but it is easier. I'd buy it again

RSK

Reaction score
how much play was in your wheel and around what mileage roughly? because my truck has recently developed some play in the wheel around 120,000 miles and i'm wondering if it's the steering box or just tie rod ends or some front end parts, I've had dual steering stabilizers with king shocks on it since the fall and before that it was never plowed with and only had the 35's on it for a few months.

twitch02x

Reaction score
You could move steering wheel good 2-3 inches either way, truck has 125,000 on it.
I still have some play but it's from 3 tie rod ends having a tiny bit of play in them.

f350guy

Reaction score
Do you guys know of anyone that has really put some miles on one of these units?

Reason being is my OE Ford box has been leaking for years and I am only at 90k, pretty lame. Just hoping for a better life expectancy than four or five years.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I had 5k miles on mine and it was still very tight, wouldn't return to center. They replaced it and it returns to center now.

I saw someone mentioned running dual steering stabilizers. I don't run anything :) I have all new ball joints, steering linkage and new tracbar ball joint and I used Energy suspension poly bushing for the track bar. Everything perfect tight, no play. I replaced all these items at 29x,xxx miles and it drives great.

Latest posts

Members online