EC/LB Motor Build

Black AOD

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm fairly new to this site. Don't post much and like to read and learn more than anything to be honest. Anyways, to the point. I bought MINK's old 2008 Black EC/LB July of 2014. Truck has done me great so far. Josh had already done ARP Studs, Elites ported fuel Rails, had the Trans built, No Limit intake and I/C Piping, done a large tune from GH and a leveling kit as well as traction bars. Since Ive owned it, I've added Recon Headlights, 325/60 Nittos with 20x10 Fuel Mavericks, and just done some regular maintenance and up keep as well as a few new tunes from gearhead.

Unfortunately I started to experience some puking under WOT several weeks back, so I assumed the worst and turns out I was right. I took it to Nate down at Unlimited Diesel in Bremen, OH (great guys to work with) and my fears were confirmed as were more problems ha. Both heads were cracked, numerous pistons had lots of valve slap, and the block has serious war-page on it. The timing cover was also very eroded and failing. Needless to say, the truck needs a new heart. So I've decided to build a whole new motor for the truck as well as some more upgrades for it. My list goes as follows

-New 6.4 short block
-Delipped, fly cut and coated pistons from Morgan at Midwest
-Gapless ring Conv.
-ATI Harmonic Damper
-Elite Billet Flexplate
-H13 Studs
-New OEM lifters & Rocker Arms
-New OEM Heads, surfaced with hardened valveseats
-New OEM gaskets
-Bulletproof waterpump
-RCD Valvetrain Kit with Springs, pushrods and Stage 2 Colt Cam
-No Limit hot side pipe
-Reusing No Limit Cold side Pipe and NL Intake and NL Intake elbow
-Dieselsite boot kit
-Alradco Radiator and Intercooler
-MPD CCV Kit
-BD Exhaust Manifolds
-RCD Up-Pipes
-RCD drop in 72mm Atmo
-RCD Ported Intake Manifold
-Sinister Coolant Kit
-Downpipe from Sean at SDP.
-Reuse MBRP 5" Exhaust

Truck already has full deletes and 5" exhaust which will all be reused. Build will start soon hopefully as soon as I get my finances in order and can get Nate to order the new block and all other parts. The Trans already being built makes this much easier for me, I wanted to go single Turbo but am undecided on what route to go for now so I just decided on the RCD drop in as I'm staying stock fuel until I decide what route to go there. Just wanted to share all this with the people who have taught me so much on this site, thoughts or feedback are welcome. :D

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
Except the pistons and cam that's the same build I was running it's a good time until my lifter killed the motor. Congrats

sootie

Reaction score
You will love it!

kinda sucks about the heads because i thought MINK put new ones on when he studded it?

also check out Sideactiondiesels upgraded lifters in the vendor section-might be worth a shot...

Black AOD

Reaction score
Except the pistons and cam that's the same build I was running it's a good time until my lifter killed the motor. Congrats

I read your story about that, Sorry to hear it. :( Nice truck btw! Unlimited did your work as well I believe?

You will love it!

kinda sucks about the heads because i thought MINK put new ones on when he studded it?

also check out Sideactiondiesels upgraded lifters in the vendor section-might be worth a shot...

You are correct he did, he had a few sets of heads on this truck. Wear and tear and some abuse just took its toll on the truck between him and me owning it I guess. It is what it is. I figured id be doing all this eventually. I've looked into those lifters, not sure if they are worth it yet or not seeing how new they are. I'm still debating on them, Thank you though!

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
I read your story about that, Sorry to hear it. :( Nice truck btw! Unlimited did your work as well I believe?

Yea originally they did but my heads messed up on me and I had to get new ones on it and was short on cash so I had to put the new heads on it. But their great guys to deal with. And thanks

CAT35niner

Reaction score
In for the build. I always liked this truck. Can you post a pic or two to show what it looks like now? Lookin forward to seeing it done.

Black AOD

Reaction score
In for the build. I always liked this truck. Can you post a pic or two to show what it looks like now? Lookin forward to seeing it done.

Sure can!

http://s18.postimg.org/lvhr98v5l/20141110_162311_resized.jpg

http://s11.postimg.org/5sxj76kf7/20141110_164212_resized.jpg

http://s23.postimg.org/6rfd6jjm3/20141106_153757_resized.jpg

I added Recon Headlights, 325/60 Nitto TG's with 20x10 Fuel Mavericks (-24) ,added Fox Reservoir 2.0's and did some new tunes since I bought if off Josh. The only visual things that will change on it eventually will be the tail lights and I'll probably do AF 22X12's in the spring. Probably do a 3 link with the 22's whenever that happens.

CAT35niner

Reaction score
Still looks killer. Little iffy on the headlights but I still love the look of the truck. You don't see many eclb's out there. Are you gonna run black or polished AFs? Or undecided lol.

Black AOD

Reaction score
Still looks killer. Little iffy on the headlights but I still love the look of the truck. You don't see many eclb's out there. Are you gonna run black or polished AFs? Or undecided lol.

Funny you say that, I'm still a little undecided on the headlights myself to be honest. I may go back to just stock looking ones that are dark smoked haha. I'm not sure honestly. Ill admit they look odd in my pictures, they look better in person but I'm still debating regardless.

As for wheels, its tough. The 2014 DPC Winner (Lavon Miller with his white dodge) has the 22" Rebel SS8's and he literally lives right down the street from me so I see them on his truck all the time :drool: ....I really like the polished look on that style. But my truck is all murdered out so I'm thinking about black too....ITS SUCH A HARD CHOICE :mad: lol. So i guess I'm undecided

BTW, your white truck is sick. Very jealous of your giant compound setup :thumbsup:

MINK

Reaction score
Like I said on the phone, sucks to hear - looks like a nice build going together though.

Black AOD

Reaction score
Like I said on the phone, sucks to hear - looks like a nice build going together though.

Thanks Josh, it does suck but its all good, stuff happens. Besides, more room for cool upgrade chit.

sootie

Reaction score
get the alphas then-best of both worlds-rebel style with black and machined colour!!

Black AOD

Reaction score
get the alphas then-best of both worlds-rebel style with black and machined colour!!

I've seen those, for some reason the pics I've seen of them on black 6.4's I just don't like them for some reason, call me weird but they dont appeal to me for some odd reason :shrug:

MINK

Reaction score
my 22x12s and 3-link are waiting to go on my truck when it's back from paint BTW LOL

CAT35niner

Reaction score
Funny you say that, I'm still a little undecided on the headlights myself to be honest. I may go back to just stock looking ones that are dark smoked haha. I'm not sure honestly. Ill admit they look odd in my pictures, they look better in person but I'm still debating regardless.

As for wheels, its tough. The 2014 DPC Winner (Lavon Miller with his white dodge) has the 22" Rebel SS8's and he literally lives right down the street from me so I see them on his truck all the time :drool: ....I really like the polished look on that style. But my truck is all murdered out so I'm thinking about black too....ITS SUCH A HARD CHOICE :mad: lol. So i guess I'm undecided

BTW, your white truck is sick. Very jealous of your giant compound setup :thumbsup:

The black tinted headlights would look way better imo. Or a set of blacked out retrofit projectors. I'm just not fond of the Recons.

I think those are great looking rims. And truthfully a murdered out truck with polished rims looks insanely good to me. I think it would make the truck. So many ppl do machined with black or all black. Now don't get me wrong polished are everywhere also but on a all black truck they look sick. And a SS stack in the back as well lol.

Black AOD

Reaction score
The black tinted headlights would look way better imo. Or a set of blacked out retrofit projectors. I'm just not fond of the Recons.

I think those are great looking rims. And truthfully a murdered out truck with polished rims looks insanely good to me. I think it would make the truck. So many ppl do machined with black or all black. Now don't get me wrong polished are everywhere also but on a all black truck they look sick. And a SS stack in the back as well lol.

Yeah I hear you on the headlights, I'll decide eventually.

I'm leaning toward polished wheels. what?! No lol, I refuse to do a stack. I hate them. lol. sorry for everyone i just offended by saying that. Too many people have them, especially around here so i wont ever be doing one.

CAT35niner

Reaction score
Lmao no offense taken here. I'm one to be different. Don't follow the crowd. So I hear ya on not doing one. When Josh had one on that truck it looked good tho.

Black AOD

Reaction score
Lmao no offense taken here. I'm one to be different. Don't follow the crowd. So I hear ya on not doing one. When Josh had one on that truck it looked good tho.

Yeah he had a single offset polished one on there. I had to cover the hole in the bed from where it used to be, ha.

So give me some thoughts people, are the SADP lifters really that much better, does anyone know yet? And what are some of the better brands of up-pipes available? Looking for some up-pipes that aren't so much $$$

Latest posts

Members online