job 1 new radiotor and studs

Reaction score
Hello all, I posted a thread here awhile ago about buying a 6.4 and I did end up buying the truck. Took the lift off, put on a leveling kit and have put 20k miles on it so far with no problems. The other day I realized that my rad is cracked so I will be putting in a new rad soon hopefully. I was planning on going with a mishimoto rad, mishimoto silicone hoses, and a factory replacement thermostat. Front body bushings are gone so I plan on doing kevlar day star bushings all around. Does this all seem like the correct thing to do?

Also I plan on atleast studding it while doing the rad. Should I do head gaskets too or just studs?

Truck has 145k miles and is ******d with a S&B intake, 5 inch exhaust and a sct X4 with rudys tunes (always kept on level 3) . Just a daily driver, I do run it hard at times but I never race or do burnouts or anything like that. Its mostly highway miles back and forth to work, school, etc.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Black AOD

Reaction score
OP, Have the heads magnafluxed while they are off to check for cracks, have them machined flat, do new gaskets and head studs. Check the rockers and the lifters while the heads are off, replace any of them if they show significant wear.

The body bushings are a good idea, the mishi V2 radiator is the way to go if you are going aftermarket. Mishimoto makes their own thermostats now as well and they make their own radiator top support piece if you are looking for even more rigidity to help the radiator from flexing.

Reaction score
OP, Have the heads magnafluxed while they are off to check for cracks, have them machined flat, do new gaskets and head studs. Check the rockers and the lifters while the heads are off, replace any of them if they show significant wear.

The body bushings are a good idea, the mishi V2 radiator is the way to go if you are going aftermarket. Mishimoto makes their own thermostats now as well and they make their own radiator top support piece if you are looking for even more rigidity to help the radiator from flexing.

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it. Are the rockers normally worn enough to show significant wear visually or should I get a shop manual and start measuring?

Also is the support piece really necessary? Only reason I ask is that it is pricey.

Lastly is the mishimoto high temp thermostat any good?

Black AOD

Reaction score
Rockers are a high wear item on 6.4, a lot of times the pivot balls go bad or are missing or the arm is just worn down. It usually comes from lack of oil on the arms or fuel/oil mix dilution.

The support piece is not necessary if you ask me, it's just something new I thought I'd mention. Same with the thermostat. No clue there, just thought I'd mention. User preference if you ask me.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Thank you for the info, I appreciate it. Are the rockers normally worn enough to show significant wear visually or should I get a shop manual and start measuring?

Also is the support piece really necessary? Only reason I ask is that it is pricey.

Lastly is the mishimoto high temp thermostat any good?

agree with everything he has said thus far. The support piece isnt necessary & i would most definitly do rocker arms since you have it apart. It is not worth trying to stud these trucks one stud at a time if thats what you were referring to. Quick list of what should be done during studs off the top of head

head machined/fluxed
upper engine gasket kit
rocker arms (not really optional imho)
lifters (optional but they are cheap and easy since you are there already)
oem oil cooler (neccesary )
waterpump (optional)
updated hpfp harness
t stats, we use oem they work fine
the mishimoto hoses are nice but not necessary
v2 radiator

Reaction score
@blackaod thank you again for the info it's appreciated

@airfishautomotive you're right for the price I will do rockers, but is the oil cooler necessary my oil and water temps are the same in the summer and 2 degrees off in the winter? If so what kit?

griz700rocket

Reaction score
I would seriously think about doing piston's while I was that close. Probably won't crack one if you keep EGTs in check but there have been some random failures. Would hate for you to be this far into it only to have something like that fail later on.

Reaction score
On a side note my truck seems to haze at night sometimes when at idle and upon take off. It's not bad at all and can only be seen in headlights. i did a cct with a snap on modis and it has some imbalances which I'm guessing are injectors. Any advice on injectors? New ones seem to be very expensive?

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
On a side note my truck seems to haze at night sometimes when at idle and upon take off. It's not bad at all and can only be seen in headlights. i did a cct with a snap on modis and it has some imbalances which I'm guessing are injectors. Any advice on injectors? New ones seem to be very expensive?

Would go new oem for the warranty or possibly rcd has new ones also that may be balanced , would have to do some research on them on your end

Reaction score
Would go new oem for the warranty or possibly rcd has new ones also that may be balanced , would have to do some research on them on your end

Were the factory ones built badly and wear out this quickly or is the design just flawed? I see that ford has a 2 year unlimited mile warranty but I found GB injectors that have a one year 15k mile warranty and the difference is about 1k less for a set. Is it worth the gamble?

Also forgive me for being naive but this is an internal problem in the injector not something nozzles will fix correct?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online