Gatorback belts

obs7.3

Reaction score
I did some searching and couldn't find anything on here about gatorback belts or the newer continental elite belts, just wondering if anyone has a part numbers for a single alternator truck or if anyone knows where I can check to buy them. I tried Napa, autozone, oreilly, advance, and smyth. They all told me they don't sell goodyear and tried to convince me to go with gates but I haven't had good luck with gates so I won't buy those...
I found the belts on amazon and ebay but I'd like part numbers before ordering.

mandkole

Reaction score
There's never a reason to remove valuable support material from the rib profile on a multi rib serpentine belt. The Gatorback was a conceivable marketing idea on paper, but we have reams of old lab test and field fleet data to show that it adds no performance value. Plus, it was made in the old school 'chloroprene' rubber compound which we've been getting out of for the past 5 years.

As said, the Fleet Runner (Green backed belt) from Gates is an excellent belt and has the more advanced EPDM material. Another equivalent construction is the Alliance brand from Freightliner dealers as a part number GT 4080866DF (single alt). NAPA likely has one also.

Notneb

Reaction score
So I know it's not the same platform, but guys running supercharged applications swear up and down by gators, saying they didn't get slip under hard boost. This was on Gen 3 vipers in the 1000hp range, with very little room to put a cage pulley on *pulley that basically sits right under the supercharger drive pulley, and basically wraps as much belt around the drive pulley as possible* so they'd get massive belt slip under hard boost.

Now on a normal engine not having to deal with that, I can see absolutely no reason to use them, just my .02

mandkole

Reaction score
I certainly don't doubt it. The modded blower applications that require further modification of the existing accy drive are very challenging. Often no explaining it, but belt attributes that affect CF within the application are often the difference maker. Could be rib profile (especially when wrapped), rubber compound, cord, manufactured length ('shorter' belts are good for cranking up the tensioner more), etc.

I helped a local guy try to make an SRT10 work better with existing components. We made some 'short' aramid cord belts to run higher tension and it worked much better, but its rougher on bearings.

obs7.3

Reaction score
So after some phone calls and messages I found what I was looking for. I do not like gates belts or hoses, I mentioned that in the original post. I ran gatorback on my cars, my ranger, and my 7.3 with 0 issues, so I know what I want.
For anyone else that is interested and for whatever it's worth to whoever here's the part numbers for the a.c. belt and the main serp belt for a single alternator 6.4
A.c. belt 4060393
Serp belt 4080865

valvetick

Reaction score
So I know it's not the same platform, but guys running supercharged applications swear up and down by gators, saying they didn't get slip under hard boost. This was on Gen 3 vipers in the 1000hp range, with very little room to put a cage pulley on *pulley that basically sits right under the supercharger drive pulley, and basically wraps as much belt around the drive pulley as possible* so they'd get massive belt slip under hard boost.

Now on a normal engine not having to deal with that, I can see absolutely no reason to use them, just my .02

On my last truck I had a Eaton M112 supercharger sitting in the valley and the Gates belts I would get belt slip switched over to the Goodyear Gaterback right before they quit making them and never had any slip but was a little louder with the grooves on the rib side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.