How to Lower temps

boo boo

Reaction score
What's the best way to lower deltas when towing heavy? I have good deltas on average but when towing I'll see temps get up to 220-230, fan kicks on temps drop. Any way to get the fan to kick on earlier? Everything is ******d, coolant filter, S&B filter, five inch exhaust, studs, oring heads, etc. some recommend the bpd oil cooler set up, and afe inter cooler.

valvetick

Reaction score
You can ground the blue wire off the fan clutch and up fitter switches. When that wire sees ground through the switch the fan clutch locks up. Works great on my truck towing 24gcw see a big hill coming up and hit the switch before and stay ahead rather then letting it get hot and have to catch up while climbing the hill. Then switch it off while your back on flat land so the loud fan noise doesn't bother everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

footlong70

Reaction score
I highly recommend the bpd oil cooler if you tow heavy regularly, or have an oil cooler plugging off. It drops your oil temp ALOT. My temp difference oil/coolant use to be roughly 5-10 degrees difference(empty highway cruising), and as high as 20-30 degrees difference towing heaving at high elevation for an extended period. Even to the point of defueling because of hot oil. With the cooler installed, oil temp is within a couple degrees of coolant almost always. Towing heavy at elevation for extended time only has a difference of maybe 5 degrees now, and a max temp of 203 degrees on the oil. It's a pretty dramatic overall temp drop while keeping the delta minimal.
Also the kit is very top notch quality. Well thought out and built. The new spin on oil filter/location has its pros/cons depending on your own preference.
My only real beef with the kit is the fact that it seems to take forever to warm the engine up. Probably 2-3 times as long to bring it up to operating temp.

Last edited:

boo boo

Reaction score
I've thought about the oil cooler but my deltas remain between 7-15 difference when towing. Which I think is good. The switch that valvetick stated I'm curious about that and would like to hear more? Is it the extra fan that kicks on that is fricking loud as hell your talking about? Did you just install a toggle switch? Is there something that could have a negative impact if this were to be done?

valvetick

Reaction score
I've thought about the oil cooler but my deltas remain between 7-15 difference when towing. Which I think is good. The switch that valvetick stated I'm curious about that and would like to hear more? Is it the extra fan that kicks on that is fricking loud as hell your talking about? Did you just install a toggle switch? Is there something that could have a negative impact if this were to be done?

Works great on my truck I never have a big delta swing either so I went this route much cheaper being free.... No extra fan the 6.0 and 6.4 use a electronically controlled fan clutch. It just locks up your stock fan to turn on 100% which is very loud as I'm sure you have heard it while towing after the computer decides to turn lock the fan but you only lock it up when needed and let the computer control it the rest of the time. Also very helpful if sitting in traffic or idling and want colder A/c temps. I used my stock up fitter switch but any toggle will work. Some guys run the old 7.3 fan clutch but then it's on most of the time and is louder this gives you the ability of the flip of a switch.

Here is another thread on this.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1178651-fan-clutch-override-switch-which-wire.html

When you have the fan locked the truck will throw a silent code meaning no check engine light but with a scanner while its locked if you scan for codes you will see fan clutch not responding since the computer is telling it not to be locked up. But as soon as you shut it off the code disappears when the computer has control of the fan.

boo boo

Reaction score
This information is for 6.0. Is it the same for 6.4? This would be a good fix for a lot of people rather then getting some other after market parts.

valvetick

Reaction score
This information is for 6.0. Is it the same for 6.4? This would be a good fix for a lot of people rather then getting some other after market parts.

Yes works on both the 6.0 and 6.4

Same fan clutch for both

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Another option coming up is to use S partan tuning as the newest update, soon I hope, will allow you to set the temp you want the fan to turn on right off the head unit.

boo boo

Reaction score
I have the mini so s partan is out for now. I'm curious if I could go into the settings and change it? I have ******** tunes and I sent them an email to see if they can do this.

ckrueg

Reaction score
There's a bunch of fan adjustment tables in MCC. Iirc, there's oil temp, coolant temp and Trans temp

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TD-5

Reaction score
MCC fan parameters

Attachments

• MCC Fan coolant temps.jpg
    MCC Fan coolant temps.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 102

boo boo

Reaction score
So can you give me guidance on how I get to these settings on my gear head tunes?

valvetick

Reaction score
You'll have to ask g-head to do it. It should be possible though because the tables are there

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

And this is partly why I just wired it up to a switch being that the sct platform requires revisions which isn't as easy to adjust plus it doesn't see the hill coming up to turn on early to get ahead of the temp rise it turns on once the heat starts climbing. But I agree I have my temps set a little lower in the tune for the fan and use my switch when towing heavy in mountains or stop and go traffic and want better A/c.

valvetick

Reaction score
I'll try and get better photos this weekend. But I'll I did was run a wire from the blue wire on the connector for the fan clutch and ran that to a relay and then to a ground and the up fitter switch.

Grab a volt meter and check each wire in the connector before wiring it up to find the ground wire. The 6.0 and 6.4 both run the same style fan clutch but make sure the wire colors didn't change over the years.

Here is a thread with 40 pages of information.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...-2.html#/forumsite/20554/topics/225699?page=1
a6211f47686593140699f746097ba00d.jpg
7101b262743d0e3f61af20b6ac77e39b.jpg
ad0266b941c878060925de64d489e813.jpg
5de7fce903f78523ab9bb28a39e08be7.jpg
090f7cc77e1bcd0f8cc733cfd1e6e59c.jpg

Last edited:

boo boo

Reaction score
That Awesome, Thanks for the pictures and diagram. What and where did you get the relay switch? You said you get a silent code? Is it only when you turn on the fan? What tuner or monitor do you have and do you just clear it when you turn the fan off? I really think this setup will correct my issue and it is so simple.

valvetick

Reaction score
That Awesome, Thanks for the pictures and diagram. What and where did you get the relay switch? You said you get a silent code? Is it only when you turn on the fan? What tuner or monitor do you have and do you just clear it when you turn the fan off? I really think this setup will correct my issue and it is so simple.

Any auto parts store will have simple relays in the electrical aisle. A silent code won't throw a cel but if you run a diag while the switch is on it will pull up the fan code as soon as you shut the fan off you can clear it if wanted but you will never see it until you check for codes. I am using a older edge insight to monitor everything.

But the 6.4 has different wire colors so make sure and check before doing any wiring and find the ground wire. So you can follow the same diagram I posted for the relay and up fitter switch and connect it to the correct ground wire for a 6.4

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Is it possible to use the 7.3 fan clutch on a 6.4 using bpd 6.0 adapter??

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online