******* stuck on truck

08twinturbo

Reaction score
I have a customers 09 f350 that purchased truck with no tuner. But just happens to have ******* tuning locked in. And its old egr on *** off stuff that has no power at all. Customer simply wants to be able to use another tuning device. But cant because pcm and tcm are locked out. Invalid base files. After 6 attempts from different dealers using as built data and manual entry the pcm/ tcm can not be found by ids. Which then stops the factory download flash. I have purchased a new tcm from ford and will have it flashed in the morning hoping to correct this issue. My question is. Who had run into this and what did you do to put it back to stock. Other then a. Buying anot her ******* tuner. Or b. Buying a new tcm and having ford flash it. I'm amazed at all the answers I have gotten so far even from tuners but yet nothing has worked. Trying to help this guy get his truck going. Thanks

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
ive heard of this. it really sucks. it may be S P A R T A N stuck on there.

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
Using IDS, re-flash going through PMI (programmable module installation) instead of the normal method. It should then use the as-built data from Ford to reflash. Repeat for the TCM.

Just for clarification, we don't "lock out" the modules. We simply rename the software part numbers for internal file handling on our devices. This was never an issue for years, until ford made changes to their IDS system, locking the user out if the strategy code isn't recognized.

This is also why we strongly stress that vehicles should be returned to stock properly before transferring a tuning device. Advice that frequently goes unheeded, resulting in these issues later.

Last edited:

08twinturbo

Reaction score
Agreed 100%. Guy bought it from a local dealer. I bet somebody has the tuner and doesn't even know that it's vin locked. We did multiple attempts to manual flash pcm. Using manual tier tag info. It even started the download on ids. Then said base files found did not match vin#. Tried 3 different ids at dealer. And then guy said its not happening. Funny thing is. This guy is prepared to buy pcm and tcm if I can just get someone to program it. I can't wait until my ids comes where I can learn this stuff myself.

78f100

Reaction score
Maybe they already tried but on ids you can choose like you are installing a new module, it should go through a erase procedure then program. I had one customer with the same tuner unplug it while mid tune, we had to replace tcm and pcm, both were unresponsive but 5he truck wouldn't start.

08twinturbo

Reaction score
Yes sir. That's what this one would do. But truck ran. It was just unresponsive to a new module install. Replaced it today and programed. It 100% correct now.

08twinturbo

Reaction score
Thanks. Yea I was told by Mick in the beginning that replacing the tcm was the only way. I'm not saying there isn't another way through a back door. But the only way I winded up getting it done was replacing the tcm. Lol. Should have done it a week ago. Lesson learned!

Latest posts

Members online