EC/LB Motor Build

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
WOOOO!!!! Time for some smokey burnouts on the way to TS!! I forgot how small the back seats are in those things... totally worth it though!

Black AOD

Reaction score
Well good and bad news. Picked the truck up this morning, looks great, hauls like a freight train, UDP did a badass job. Everything was going good until a had to pass somebody this afternoon, accelerated quickly to get around them, motor revved high, then it didn't want to shift. 3-5 gear shift wont work, tries to shift at around 2k RPM, then just over revs and wont let me. Did go into limp mode once, threw codes P0766 P2703. Transmission Solenoid/Shifting Limp Mode. Reverse seems to be somewhat finicky at times as well. I've read sometimes this is a sensor issue, a bad solenoid, I've talked it over with Nate @ UDP, it could be a bad clutch pack, but that's unlikely. He and I find it odd for the clutch packs to just go bad out of the blue. Trans was literally brand new when i bought the truck. Brand new 5R, Red Alto clutches, Gogo Solenoid, Elite Billet Input Shaft, Goernd Triple Disc Converter. I only put less than 10,000 miles on the trans before it went to UDP, was very easy and nice on the trans too. Never got 4wd launched, no burnouts, no launches, nothing. no drags, no sled pulls, just driving. Hardest abuse would have been fast accelerations from a roll, less than 5 of those.... UDP just put a mag hytec pan on it last week and checked the fluid, it all looked good. No clue. Any thoughts? I'm hoping solenoid or a sensor, I cant have this truck gone any longer....

Black AOD

Reaction score
***Update*** Well after some debate the truck is back at Unlimited because I thought the trans was OK strength wise for this build, I guess not :doh:

The guys @ UDP are once again taking care of me and dropping the trans out and we will be sending it off to Morgan @ Midwest for diagnosis and most likely a full rebuild. It should go out this week. The best guess we have is that the 3-5 shift failed from either a stuck solenoid or the TCM failed and didn't tell it when to shift right which damaged a clutch pack, its hard to tell without it being apart yet. The fluid smells burnt, the 2-3 shift was getting worse before it was trailered off to UDP so...diagnosis will be performed then its most likely a full billet re-build. It will be Morgans Competition Premium package. Take a peek at his site for specs. It will hold way more than what I make power wise but overkill is good IMO.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
***Update*** Well after some debate the truck is back at Unlimited because I thought the trans was OK strength wise for this build, I guess not :doh:

The guys @ UDP are once again taking care of me and dropping the trans out and we will be sending it off to Morgan @ Midwest for diagnosis and most likely a full rebuild. It should go out this week. The best guess we have is that the 3-5 shift failed from either a stuck solenoid or the TCM failed and didn't tell it when to shift right which damaged a clutch pack, its hard to tell without it being apart yet. The fluid smells burnt, the 2-3 shift was getting worse before it was trailered off to UDP so...diagnosis will be performed then its most likely a full billet re-build. It will be Morgans Competition Premium package. Take a peek at his site for specs. It will hold way more than what I make power wise but overkill is good IMO.

Got scared and **** itself before it even raced the 6.7 LOL . I'd say with Morgans trans you're set. It'll shift better than stock even with more power

Black AOD

Reaction score
So everyone understands.....Truck was brought home 5/30/2015, Trans didn't last even 8 hours. I want to make it clear, the Tranny failure in no way shape or form is Unlimited Diesel's fault WHATSOEVER. They didn't build the trans, or touch it, they had nothing to do with it. They did this build knowing what was in the trans based off the info I had given them and Nate and I both agreed we thought the Trans would live behind the new motor/turbo setup, WEEELLLLLL we were wrong. The trans was already in the truck when I Originally purchased it and had already had the modifications done to it when I bought it. Just pointing this out. UDP has been nothing but awesome and helpful with me. My GF, Me and Pete aka White Mamba had a blast with the UDP crew down at TS Outlaw. That being said, this build is extending out a little bit. Below is what is being added now. The original build list is back on Page 13 which is now all done.

Midwest Diesel Competition Premium 5R110 Transmission
BTF Diff Covers for both Axles
AMP Steps
Warn Manual Lockout Hubs
Dana 60 & Sterling 10.25 Axles being rebuilt and Serviced

We are debating about coring out the LP and HP pumps. I personally never had an issue with them at all, we still have no issues but at this point, everything on this truck is literally NEW and the pumps have 127,000 miles on them and a LOT of drag passes and a few sled pulls from when MINK owned it. Just thinking new ones might be in order. We will see

Last edited:

Black AOD

Reaction score
Midwest Diesel Competition Premium Full Billet Trans will be here next week :pimp:

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
Well mine was supposed to be sent in, re-built, and sent back. Turns out Morgan had the exact trans I needed sitting on shelf. So we ordered it. My old trans is just a core now

hmmm... what did I tell you!??? oh yeah... "I bet Morgan has one ready on his shelf"... BOOM!!

Black AOD

Reaction score
No problem, thanks for talking with me ! Looking forward to getting this Trans in the truck :)

MINK

Reaction score
Put a tcm in the truck.... your stories a hair off as I road in the truck when you got it back, trans worked fine the couple times you stabbed it, regardless it wasn't anything special from the get.

welcome to diesel motorsports, good luck homie!.

Black AOD

Reaction score
Put a tcm in the truck.... your stories a hair off as I road in the truck when you got it back, trans worked fine the couple times you stabbed it, regardless it wasn't anything special from the get.

welcome to diesel motorsports, good luck homie!.

That's about 1/3 of the story Josh. That's all I'll say. Thanks

Black AOD

Reaction score
It will be soon. Converter & Trans went in last week. New TCM went in yesterday. Couple other little things like AMP Steps as well as a drive line inspection and service. Got some cool new diff covers and all new fluids, had to replace the OEM steering damper (just used a fox racing damper) Got a set of these waiting for the truck when it comes back to me on Friday. 35x13.50x20 Toyo R/T'S. Second Pic is my full size spare for reference to see how they look mounted. I have a set of Harley Davidson Headlights that I'll be painting to replace the Recons that I dont like at all. Will look similar to the pic below. Putting LED's in the harley lights and in my tail lights. All Cree LED's. Big Thanks to Cody @ ATP for the hook-up on LED's :thumbsup:

http://s10.postimg.org/ik9oxrld5/20150616_160343_00000002.jpg

http://s21.postimg.org/kpftvrcx3/20150616_162236.jpg

http://s15.postimg.org/9hjsh5ud7/6_4_headlights.jpg