5r install ?

08Monster

Reaction score
Installing a new to me (used) 5r tonight, do I need to retune the truck so the new trans has the file, or just hook it up and go?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The trans doesn't have any file, nor does it have any capacity to store a file. You can't download a file or tune to a transmission. It's like trying to download a tune to a tire.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
Assuming you are swapping because the old trans was hurt, I would reload the tune so the baseline shift pressures are reset.

09strokerpwr

Reaction score
I was told from Will at Rudy's on Thursday when. I swapped mine to tune the truck stock then back to the tune I was running.

sootie

Reaction score
retune it. that way the adaptive memory is cleared.

08Monster

Reaction score
Never installed a trans before, anything special I gotta know before I throw it up there?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
MAKE SURE THE TORQUE CONVERTER IS FULLY SEATED!

When the converter is fully seated the front face of the converter will be inside the front surface of the bellhousing. If it isn't, and you install it with the converter partially out, you will need to remove the trans and replace the torque converter and the pump.

The easiest way to seat the converter is to turn the trans so that the bellhousing is facing up. Install the converter and start spinning it. It will drop down several times as different splines engage, the last one being the pump.

08Monster

Reaction score
Well, its probably ****ed. Pump splines aren't engaged I'm guessing because the engine won't turn over. What are the odds its ****ed.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Just pull it back apart and reinstall the converter. You most likely didn't seat it all the way. I had this exact same issue with a 05 250 over the winter. The converter dropped when I spun it, but for some reason didn't drop all the way in. Took a few mins of messing with it and it dropped a second time and everything bolted up.

As long as you didn't start/run the truck, I don't see it messing anything up. Worst I can think of is that it might damage the flexplate from the added pressure on it.

08Monster

Reaction score
Alright, I'll pull it apart again tonight, and try to reseat it. I'm hoping I can leave the trans in the truck, just pull it back a few inches to do the converter. It was a royal PITA to get in there, but it seemed like it lined up nice when I bolted it. Oh well, live and learn. Hoping I can leave the transfer case, front driveshaft, and all wiring on when I do it so I don't have so much to redo.

08Monster

Reaction score
ee2673f822f77fb6a2f4a4d3e9a0775b.jpg
46738c0fa011781739007c4aea2ec469.jpg

She's dicked.

08Monster

Reaction score
Dropped it off at a local trans shop to have the pump checked/replaced, and they said they can re-round the converter shaft. Fingers crossed.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
As long as you didn't start/run the truck, I don't see it messing anything up. Worst I can think of is that it might damage the flexplate from the added pressure on it.
Not true. If you pulled the trans to the engine with the bolts and the converter was not seated it will damage the end of the converter and often bust the pump, too.

Dropped it off at a local trans shop to have the pump checked/replaced, and they said they can re-round the converter shaft. Fingers crossed.
i once fixed a converter than had this exact damage that a customer brought to my shop. It can be done.

Latest posts

Members online