A little update on my truck...

jdgleason

Reaction score
So, found out what caused our issue at DPC - a valve in my new pump hung open and the trans lost all pressure. That's why it wouldn't move... If the damn thing would have moved I would have sled pulled it lol.

It welded the OD clutches together, but everything else looked pretty decent. Oh, and the converter took it like a champ lol.

As for the rockers, 6 seemed to effected.

9578b7efa07b5e91eb82f03ceb511219.jpg

b0b71249e4e2796c0937d1c84cf801f2.jpg

d0c7791795b44f4fc299f19773b62037.jpg

c02a8e7731ffac46ac21e806f0664dfa.jpg

NathannialD

Reaction score
Yes the rockers are all split/cracked. There shouldn't have been contact since the rocker arms deflected and cracked. I feel pretty confident they didn't contact considering I replaced a broken rocker arm on Jareds the day before and he as very large valve reliefs.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Yes the rockers are all split/cracked. There shouldn't have been contact since the rocker arms deflected and cracked. I feel pretty confident they didn't contact considering I replaced a broken rocker arm on Jareds the day before and he as very large valve reliefs.

So when are those HD rockers coming out? :poke:

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Just because they were in one truck before without issues doesn't mean there aren't any. I heard this reasoning before and don't buy it.

jdgleason

Reaction score
The rockers that were in it were 80k mile factory rockers and had been floated before on my stock motor...

I doubt it was just the rpm's that took them out, I'm assuming it was the violence of gaining and losing rpm with the pump freaking out.

The springs are some standard stage 1 springs. Nothing special.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Just because they were in one truck before without issues doesn't mean there aren't any. I heard this reasoning before and don't buy it.

Lol these springs are in hundreds of trucks... With no issues. Idk what you're getting at, but my truck has nothing to do with it.

mileage probably had more to do with it than anything.

I think you're right. I should have mentioned that a few of the rockers that were effected, the clips were just broken. And the 3 worst rockers were the ones in the picture above ^. They cracked, but didn't break all the way through even, which doesn't seem to be the normal way they break. I replaced both sides because I thought it was time.

Just for a little reference, my truck doesn't run high boost or back pressure. On the Dyno at dpc when it made 1202, boost was 57 psi and back pressure was 69-70psi gauge.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
When did I say anything about the springs or anything about your truck? My comment has to do with Nethanial and his comment. I was told the same crap, those...... were in our truck and ran way harder and never had an issue. But when they came out of mine they were junk. The only reason I said anything is because their reasoning is bs. Just because it worked in one truck does not mean it works in all.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
When did I say anything about the springs or anything about your truck? My comment has to do with Nethanial and his comment. I was told the same crap, those...... were in our truck and ran way harder and never had an issue. But when they came out of mine they were junk. The only reason I said anything is because their reasoning is bs. Just because it worked in one truck does not mean it works in all.

Boost and Backpressure are most likely the cause of failure IMO. The OE rocker just won't handle it. Been there done that. Jared's truck saw over 100 psi of bp, so did Erik's and big surprise they both broke rockers. I'm sure JD's bp was pretty high those last few drag passes.

The springs in JD's truck are the most the OE rocker can take. We've ran springs with greater force and they broke rockers. What Nathannial is referring to, is the springs will control valve float at 5500rpm, as we have tested that on a cam with substantially more lift and duration and faster lobe acceleration than any of the trucks that broke rockers. The spring wasn't the problem, the OE rocker is just junk metal and wasn't intended for the punishment.

Latest posts

Members online