The Singled Out Build

Mattf1987

Reaction score
We'll guys my new truck is going under the wrench for a full motor rebuild, After a few weeks of planning the re-build is underway. After pulling the motor down we found that there were a few issues. Low compression on cyl 1 (290) psi. reason for tearing it apart is because when the motor was cold it had a bad knock. During the test drive when I bought the truck it ran fine and was pretty quiet made no noticeable knock and ids showed nothing out of the "normal range", However when we got back to the shop and unloaded the truck off the trailer it had the knock and was torn down from there.

* rocker arm tip pivot ball missing
*grime in the upper end of the rocker assemblies/bridges
*3 bent exhaust valves
*6 pistons with valve impressions on them
*came gouged on one lobe
*main bearings showing uneven wear for a motor with only 3xxx miles
*bent rod/ number 7 piston had made contact with the crank
* 6 international pistons and 2 ford pistons

After tearing it down I have ordered the following parts

*new ford bare block
*new oem rods
*rcd fly cut and coated pistons std bore
*rcd pushrods
*rcd valve springs
*rcd stage 1 cam
* new heads
*new oem injectors
*victor reinz complete gasket set
*rebuilding 59/71 compounds
*gearhead tunes

Thanks to all the shops that have helped get parts together and huge thanks to Kevin mcgray and joe Heuser for helping with the rebuild!
Thanks to the guys at rcd for the help!
Thanks to morgan and Austin at Midwest for talking with me on the phone a number of times, Sorry I decided to go another route than to have yall build the short block. Nothing else was a factor besides saving a few bones and having a local engine builder do it for me.
Thanks to sean o'hara for the cam and getting it shipped super fast!
Thanks to the guys at Purvis ford for gladly taking my money hahaha

Picks of some of the damage. I will update the build as progress is made!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 340
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 311
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 321
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    762.7 KB · Views: 298
  • pistons.JPG
    pistons.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:

Poglife

Reaction score
no wonder this thing was for sale for so long haha
sorry bout your luck man I cracked a piston about 2 months after buying my "built" 6.4

sootie

Reaction score
why did you need a new block?

that shocks me about the mismatched pistons...definitely changes some opinions i had.

04stroker

Reaction score
To clear up a few things I was as shocked as anyone. The engine was assembled by the machinist due to lack of time in the shop. He had always done great work for us so I could not beleive all of that shocking to say the least. Sorry for the problems Matt let me know if I can help with anything else.

Mattf1987

Reaction score
To clear up a few things I was as shocked as anyone. The engine was assembled by the machinist due to lack of time in the shop. He had always done great work for us so I could not beleive all of that shocking to say the least. Sorry for the problems Matt let me know if I can help with anything else.

Thanks Ryken, Let me be very clear with everyone about this. Ryken holder has been nothing but a standup gentleman in helping with every single question I have had about this truck at the very start. He has continued to help me even when he was not obligated to do so in any way. Everything that was done inside the motor was none of his doing or anybody related to holders diesel it was simply put a sloppy job by the machinist. And also in regards to Eric Larch, I still to this day believe that he did not intentionally sell me a bad truck nor did he hide anything about the rig he was selling. I bought the truck under my own actions and my own judgment. Yes it sucks, yes I am out thousands, yes I would have liked to been given money to help with some of the rebuild but he is not entiled to help me or give me anything. He did put me in touch with Ryken holder and I thank him for that. I did not start this thread to badmouth or put blame on anyone....Because at the end of the day guys its only money and there are far more important things in life! Once again thanks Ryken for all the help!

co04cobra

Reaction score
JMO. Don't use the VR HGs themselves. Get the oem.

This all does suck.. I know the machinist as well and he is a very knowledgeable guy.

It surprises me coming out of his shop.

04stroker

Reaction score
JMO. Don't use the VR HGs themselves. Get the oem.

This all does suck.. I know the machinist as well and he is a very knowledgeable guy.

It surprises me coming out of his shop.

Me too man crazy is so good too. I know he just fired a guy over there (not Matt) but I'm starting to wonder if that guy did the work and out it together. I cannot imagine him doing that himself.

Latest posts

Members online