What clutch?

6fourstroker

Reaction score
Hey guys, my zf6 RCLB is screaming for a new clutch.. Valair or South Bend? I've heard both are good, but that Valair is way better lol.. My dilemma between the two is do I really need to spend close to double for a Valair? I have no plans for my truck to be a race truck or driven hard daily.. As of now my truck is deleted, mini max, and air intake.. It's not even studded yet so I'm not hard on it.. I do run the HD 300 but my foot stays out of it. (Most of the time) i do plan on studding it soon though.

I just want this truck to run 550-650 safely and smoothly.

What are your thoughts? This is my first time buying a new clutch for anything.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
We just did a SB DD in a 6.4 SCLB and it actually drove really nice. Was able to take the upper tune power levels with no problem (reason why we did a disc to it). Only complaint I have with Dual Disks is they're a little loud with the clutch peddle out and in neutral. Other then that it wasn't bad driving.

CAT35niner

Reaction score
I have a south bend DD 3850. It holds my power and shifts great. Haven't had an issue with it. I would say you can run a 3650 safely. Just being tuned.

lengelhardt

Reaction score
I'd go with a valair. Running one of Dans singles and love it. Also have a dual disk in a 12 valve holding almost 600hp. I have heard problems with south bends having problems with their floater plates. If you call Dan he'll give you really good deal.

08twinturbo

Reaction score
I'd go with a valair. Running one of Dans singles and love it. Also have a dual disk in a 12 valve holding almost 600hp. I have heard problems with south bends having problems with their floater plates. If you call Dan he'll give you really good deal.

Just curious. How is the stiffness on the single compared to the dual disc. Looking to buy one for a customer. He is tuned as well but doesn't want too stiff for daily driving.

lengelhardt

Reaction score
It's easier than a dual disk. It's never been a problem for me the only time it's stiff is when I'm trying to back up a trailer but other that it's been easy for me.

6fourstroker

Reaction score
We just did a SB DD in a 6.4 SCLB and it actually drove really nice. Was able to take the upper tune power levels with no problem (reason why we did a disc to it). Only complaint I have with Dual Disks is they're a little loud with the clutch peddle out and in neutral. Other then that it wasn't bad driving.

Loud in neutral, not pressing in the clutch?

I have a south bend DD 3850. It holds my power and shifts great. Haven't had an issue with it. I would say you can run a 3650 safely. Just being tuned.

Thanks for the input! What kind of power does your truck put down?

Thanks man.

CAT35niner

Reaction score
Loud in neutral, not pressing in the clutch?

Thanks for the input! What kind of power does your truck put down?

Mine put down 936 the last time I had it dynoed. My clutch is only loud when you release it. And it's still not bad. In neutral it's quiet. Can't hear it.

6fourstroker

Reaction score
Mine put down 936 the last time I had it dynoed. My clutch is only loud when you release it. And it's still not bad. In neutral it's quiet. Can't hear it.

Wow nice! And alright sounds good, I talked to a guy earlier and he said I need a 3250?? Will that hold 600+?

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I have a kenny's pulling parts sintered iron double disc and its been great. Like said earlier they are noisy when the clutch is depressed. But its worth it!

Radioflyer

Reaction score
My clutch is only loud when you release it. And it's still not bad. In neutral it's quiet. Can't hear it.

Basically what I meant op^

Sorry for the confusion.
Compared to some of the other transmissions, it's really not that loud. Slight audible difference would be a better description.

6fourstroker

Reaction score
I appreciate all the info guys! Not really worried too much about noise.. I just want a smooth operating clutch that can handle some power lol

B585Ford

Reaction score
It's about time you got out of the factory clutch....i'm amazed it i'm amazed lasted this long.

6fourstroker

Reaction score
It's about time you got out of the factory clutch....i'm amazed it i'm amazed lasted this long.

Yea it's surprised me as well.

Ok I've got one last question.. The SBC DD rated at 650hp 1300ft/lb has a 3250lb plate and the Valair rated at 650/1300 has a 3800lb plate.. Why such a big difference in the pressure plates and is there an advantage to having the higher lb ?

B585Ford

Reaction score
Yea it's surprised me as well.

Ok I've got one last question.. The SBC DD rated at 650hp 1300ft/lb has a 3250lb plate and the Valair rated at 650/1300 has a 3800lb plate.. Why such a big difference in the pressure plates and is there an advantage to having the higher lb ?

IDK why the difference. I'm interested to see if anyone else knows.

Latest posts

Members online