Manifolds and up-pipes

ckrueg

Reaction score
Well my drivers side up pipe has been leaking for the past few months. Now that it's summer I'll have some time to replace it. I'm wanting to just replace the manifolds and up pipes with the bd manifolds with 6.0 style up pipes. Would I be able to do this cab on? If so I'd like to hear from someone who has done it, and what might make it easier. Thanks

NathannialD

Reaction score
it sucks to do cab on, i know this for sure. to make things a bit easier have someone evac the a/c so you can pull the hoses out of the way. now would be the time do do an egr delete and 4" downpipe to make reassembly easier as well.

08Monster

Reaction score
I am tackling this job this weekend on my 6.4. I'll let you know how fun it is... Lll

ckrueg

Reaction score
it sucks to do cab on, i know this for sure. to make things a bit easier have someone evac the a/c so you can pull the hoses out of the way. now would be the time do do an egr delete and 4" downpipe to make reassembly easier as well.
The truck already has an egr delete along with a downpipe so I'm all set there. I have considered getting rid of the egr crossover pipe to prevent ebp tube freezing. Would I just need to tap the blockoff plates and relocate the sensor there?

NathannialD

Reaction score
our up pipes have a bung in them so you dont have to tap anything when the crossover is removed which i would advise since those bellows frequently blow out as well.

Bigmo

Reaction score
Im gonna do some tranny work, When trans and transfer case are out it should give more toom for up pipes. If you pull front wheels and inner fenders isnt there enough room......

rfrostick

Reaction score
ebp sensor tube just screws right onto same bung used on the 6.0 manifold. Little heat and patience and you can bent tube and secure it to horseshoe bracket

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Here's a quick summary of how I did mine cab on.

First off if your doing a 6.0 manifold upgrade i would highly reccommend having your A/C system pumped out and buy new bolts for the manifolds since the old ones are about 1/2" too long. And another thing to do is match the gaskets to the manifolds with a dremmel or something similar.
Ok first i removed the down pipe and then the up pipes and egr down pipe. now is where things got fun. Since i was doing the manifolds and studs i wanted to make sure i was going to do it in a way that had the easiest access for both things i was doing so to do the manifolds im not saying all of the following steps are absolutely necessary but i did find it made it easier to see/do. Now to get to the driverside manifold i went and removed the driverside inner fender(8mm and a 6mm bolts), the battery tray and coolant reservoir (13mm) (i disconnected both batteries and drained all the coolant) then disconnected the radiator hose, the lower hose from the reservoir, and the small coolant hose on the front of the reservoir. Once that was out of the way i unscrewed the back pressure line and then removed the manifold (10mm). Now for the passenger side manifold i again removed the inner fender(8mm and 6mm) now i took a 3/8 ratchet and a cheater bar to slack the alternator belt and then slid an allen wrench into the tensioner slot to hold it slacked, then i removed the alternator (13mm). Next thing i did and i dont know if there is any way around it, but i removed the 2 A/C lines from the compressor and the one upper stud from the compressor. Once that is out of the way i unbolted the heat sheild and then the manifold, now its really tight for some of the bolts but i found that a 3/8 air ratchet was really helpful and if you had a 1/4 drive air ratchet you would probably be better off. Now some of the bolts are still hard to get at but a good 12 point wrench is good enough to get the front bottom ones.

ckrueg

Reaction score
Here's a quick summary of how I did mine cab on.

First off if your doing a 6.0 manifold upgrade i would highly reccommend having your A/C system pumped out and buy new bolts for the manifolds since the old ones are about 1/2" too long. And another thing to do is match the gaskets to the manifolds with a dremmel or something similar.
Ok first i removed the down pipe and then the up pipes and egr down pipe. now is where things got fun. Since i was doing the manifolds and studs i wanted to make sure i was going to do it in a way that had the easiest access for both things i was doing so to do the manifolds im not saying all of the following steps are absolutely necessary but i did find it made it easier to see/do. Now to get to the driverside manifold i went and removed the driverside inner fender(8mm and a 6mm bolts), the battery tray and coolant reservoir (13mm) (i disconnected both batteries and drained all the coolant) then disconnected the radiator hose, the lower hose from the reservoir, and the small coolant hose on the front of the reservoir. Once that was out of the way i unscrewed the back pressure line and then removed the manifold (10mm). Now for the passenger side manifold i again removed the inner fender(8mm and 6mm) now i took a 3/8 ratchet and a cheater bar to slack the alternator belt and then slid an allen wrench into the tensioner slot to hold it slacked, then i removed the alternator (13mm). Next thing i did and i dont know if there is any way around it, but i removed the 2 A/C lines from the compressor and the one upper stud from the compressor. Once that is out of the way i unbolted the heat sheild and then the manifold, now its really tight for some of the bolts but i found that a 3/8 air ratchet was really helpful and if you had a 1/4 drive air ratchet you would probably be better off. Now some of the bolts are still hard to get at but a good 12 point wrench is good enough to get the front bottom ones.
Thanks for the response. I'll probably order my parts in the next few weeks, gonna buy a couple other parts while I'm at it so I need to get another pay check or 2 lol.

08Monster

Reaction score
I'm doing it now, it sucks. I'd rather remove stock turbos cab on again than do this.

08Monster

Reaction score
Well, I have to say, if you can avoid doing it, avoid doing it. It absolutely sucks. Haha

ballsout6.4

Reaction score
I am tackling this job this weekend on my 6.4. I'll let you know how fun it is... Lll
It's not. if yourpassenger side it is a total bitch most people tell you that you need to drop the transmission or remove the cab to do this. it is possible to do it without doing either of those just a pain in the ass

Latest posts

Members online