Best built 6.4 long block

Reaction score
When a 6.4 breaks it usually ins't cheap I think is what he is getting at. These trucks are really pretty solid enough that when they break they go for BROKE!! Usually the main issues are emissions (2-6k depending on ****** or replace), Turbos (3-6k), Headgaskets (4-12k depending on injectors, cracked heads and things like that), Cam issues (Put a new motor in 15-20k), Cracked piston (15-20k), I can keep going but these trucks are usually never a couple hundred - 2k repair costs. They are almost always 2k+++++ which is = very expensive for most people.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
When a 6.4 breaks it usually ins't cheap I think is what he is getting at. These trucks are really pretty solid enough that when they break they go for BROKE!! Usually the main issues are emissions (2-6k depending on ****** or replace), Turbos (3-6k), Headgaskets (4-12k depending on injectors, cracked heads and things like that), Cam issues (Put a new motor in 15-20k), Cracked piston (15-20k), I can keep going but these trucks are usually never a couple hundred - 2k repair costs. They are almost always 2k+++++ which is = very expensive for most people.

i feel like i've experienced everything listed, 3 times . LOL

Black AOD

Reaction score
i feel like i've experienced everything listed, 3 times . LOL
Lol. What are you talking about ?!

I had loads of fun putting a fresh built motor in mine 7 months after I bought it, then a comp Trans a month later. Then 2 years later that "built" motor had 3 cracked cylinders and this was another trans rebuild later and 2 fuel syetem replacements!!!

It was great time.

Said no 6.4 owner.

#iguess900hpbreakssh*t

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score
Lol. What are you talking about ?!

I had loads of fun putting a fresh built motor in mine 7 months after I bought it, then a comp Trans a month later. Then 2 years later that "built" motor had 3 cracked cylinders and this was another trans rebuild later and 2 fuel syetem replacements!!!

It was great time.

Said no 6.4 owner.

#iguess900hpbreakssh*t

Your 6.4 was also beat to chit when you bought it. I wish I could see some of the tire roasting that thing did before you had it.

Black AOD

Reaction score
Your 6.4 was also beat to chit when you bought it. I wish I could see some of the tire roasting that thing did before you had it.
I know it was, I know better than anyone on here that it had been.

I've got the videos of it.

00Rich

Reaction score
i guess breaking/building four six fours i kind of know what i am talking about? (these are personal ones, I don't do it for a living)

you could build it with the best parts in the world, you still have no control over a hpfp taking a crap and wiping out your fuel system, or hanging an injector causing a melted piston, destroyed block and bent rod. Lifters are a crap shoot too, by the time you realize one has gone bad, you've eaten the cam and sent shavings thru the whole motor...and with any luck, sent needle bearings thru the lpop. The lack of top end lubricity in these motors causes excessive wear on rocker arms and bridges that will need to be tended to frequently.

I could go on and on but you get the point. When these things fail, its never a simple fix-kind of like how you cracked a piston you know? Turns into a motor build. Ya, thats the life of running a six four.

I dont dispute they are a ton of fun and have the potential to make big power. For a toy-sure. For reliability-nevah

on edit: J&K lol the email address is a gmail account, and their site says that 08-10 E-series vans use six fours haha no way in he!l i'd use them...

I wish there was a better pump to put in them then a k16

Black AOD

Reaction score
I wish there was a better pump to put in them then a k16

NO KIDDING. At least two companies make more reliable versions now at least.

OP, if I were you, sell said 6.4 and go buy 6.7

Or Light 6.4 on fire and collect insurance.... :fustrate:

That's what I wanted to do with my 6.4 most days in it's end days

00Rich

Reaction score
NO KIDDING. At least two companies make more reliable versions now at least.

OP, if I were you, sell said 6.4 and go buy 6.7

Or Light 6.4 on fire and collect insurance.... :fustrate:

That's what I wanted to do with my 6.4 most days in it's end days

Do you know if the new ones from Ford are any better?

Black AOD

Reaction score
The K16 pump
Yeah the pumps are definitely better. New PCV. New VCV. New internals. Full vacuum and plunger test. Much better than Ford OEM.

Buy Alliant Power or RAE/Flight Diesel

00Rich

Reaction score
Yeah the pumps are definitely better. New PCV. New VCV. New internals. Full vacuum and plunger test. Much better than Ford OEM.

Buy Alliant Power or RAE/Flight Diesel

Well ****! I was hope the Ford OEM was built better.😫

239single6four

Reaction score
Lol I wish i could collect insurance on it but what I owe On it and what they would give me and shorty credit on top
Of that I wouldn’t be in a good spot

BravoZulu81

Reaction score
Haven’t used them personally but Asheville Engine has a great reputation in my area. They do a TON of 6.0’s and a bunch of 6.4 as well. Depending on how you build it he has pretty good warranties as well.

I cross my fingers every day that nothing happens to my truck. I’d have to take out a loan to replace an engine. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black AOD

Reaction score
KDD just released aluminum 6.0L heads, 6.4L aluminum heads are coming before too long.

Harland Sharp now has the option to do custom rockers and solid lifters for 6.4's that fit in the stock rocker box and clear the injector lines. This is good news for high horsepower builds.

If the aluminum heads (whenever they release) and HS rockers prove to be reliable and help make the big power (and the heads don't crack), those are the last aftermarket parts that the 6.4 really needed that people had big problems with in high HP builds

I would never use reman blocks, they tend to crack.... If someone chooses to do so, make sure you put sleeves in.

Reaction score
If the aluminum heads (whenever they release) and HS rockers prove to be reliable and help make the big power (and the heads don't crack), those are the last aftermarket parts that the 6.4 really needed that people had big problems with in high HP builds

I don't think we will see cracking... but we might see seats pushing into head surface.... That all depends on spring/rpm/HEAT... so time will tell.

I would never use reman blocks, they tend to crack.... If someone chooses to do so, make sure you put sleeves in.

It has been harder and harder to have any confidence in the blocks anymore. Not so much being cracked into cylinder but into lifter bore to coolant jacket, Magnaflux till your blue in the face your not going to see it. :cursing:

Last edited:

Black AOD

Reaction score
I don't think we will see cracking... but we might see seats pushing into head surface.... That all depends on spring/rpm/HEAT... so time will tell.

It has been harder and harder to have any confidence in the blocks anymore. Not so much being cracked into cylinder but into lifter bore to coolant jacket, Magnaflux till your blue in the face your not going to see it. :cursing:

Very Good points. Didn't think about that first one.

I'm with you on the blocks...they are so hit and miss

Zeb

Reaction score
When we consider the fact that the Duramax has used aluminum heads since its introduction in 2003, and that aluminum heads have been used for decades on high performance gas engines that see WAY more rpm and spring pressure than a diesel ever will, I don’t think that heat/spring pressure/rpm are an issue IF the casting is high quality.

Latest posts

Members online