2001 Excursion v10-12v :)

TurboM700

Reaction score
Wife said we need a bigger vehicle for going back and fourth to the cabin and I was getting sick of have my TDI full of stuff every weekend. Being looking for a while for a Excursion todo the swap on. Found this last week 90 miles from home. Went and picked it up sunday.
Its a 2001 Limited V10 with 189k on it. Body and interior are really clean. Transmission hang in every gear and the motor will hyrdo lock after its warmed up.

I have the spare 4r100 for my truck and the adapter plate. Just looking for a 12v now and this project will get going quickly.

Once the motors in and all the bugs have been worked out I will build a second tank and run WVO as I can get filter clean WVO for 2 bucks a gallon.

Here some pics of it. Will add more once I find the motor. I'm sure I will have a ton of questions as I know jack about 12v.

image_zpsafd72ac8.jpg

IMG_3407_zps6944d538.jpg

image4_zps0140273a.jpg

image1_zpsfee89b37.jpg

IMG_3406_zpsb7e6f66e.jpg

TurboM700

Reaction score
I have a 7.3l with a DP tune and when she,s cold she's really really load and she(wife) dont say squat about it. 12v should be no different. As far as stink all my vehicle are diesel and she has yet to complain about them.

When the motors out I plan todo some lizard skin on the fire wall to "help" keep noise down.

TurboM700

Reaction score
thanks man. We just missed getting in a bad accident a few weeks ago(not my fault) and ever since then she has said we need a bigger vehicle.

looked a 08 or newer suburban but didnt want to spend that kind of money.

Somehow convinced her of this idea. I tell you what it makes things so much easier when shes on bored.

I drove out saturday to Eau Claire Wi and looked at the X meet on a price drove back to the TC then up to Brainerd to get my truck then back home. Sunday morning headed out to get the X. She didnt say **** about me being gone all weekend. She even helped be back it up and thru the garage. Was shocked.

TurboM700

Reaction score
Any time just let me know. Work slicker then snot.

Be easier to explain it with pictures. There is about 1/4" gap between the hook and the bolt. To allow for some mis-alignment.
IMG_3415_zps1a4b1aa3.jpg

IMG_3416_zps4e8acfd8.jpg

IMG_3417_zpsf8883366.jpg

loboost

Reaction score
Out of curiosity...what do you expect to pay for an engine?

sent while driving recklessly

loboost

Reaction score
2-3k seem to be the going rate. Have found some cheaper but you get what you pay for.

Just curious.

I'm looking at a 1st gen rclb 2wd locally for around 2 that needs a trans rebuild.

sent while driving recklessly

TurboM700

Reaction score
For you guys that have done this conversion. Is it possible to keep the factory ECM hook the ford sensors up to the cummins and use the ford ECM to control the transmission?

powerstroke22

Reaction score
For you guys that have done this conversion. Is it possible to keep the factory ECM hook the ford sensors up to the cummins and use the ford ECM to control the transmission?

I have done a handful and for the most part you can take the sensor right out of the Ford block and put it into the Cummins block. water temp., cylinder head temp., oil pressure etc..

A PCS controller is a good route on controlling the transmission.

TurboM700

Reaction score
Well got the motor bought,adapter plate showed up. Need to order the TC and PCS(or use the factory pcm not sure yet). Also got a intercooler for a 7.3l coming.

Need to find a dodge vacuum pump/PS pump still and buy or build motor mounts. Going to try and make the ford alternator and ac work. We shall see.

The plan right now is to take the truck up to my brother pull the cab/body off then bring the chassis back and do all the fab work for the motor and transmission. Then set the body back on the frame.

While the body offs I'm going to use this product http://www.tptools.com/U-Pol-Raptor-...-Kit,2600.html and do the under side of the body and then lizard skin the front have to hopefully help keep noise down.

TurboM700

Reaction score
For those of you that have done these conversions can i leave the stock PCM to control the transmission. I understand that PCS is a better way to go put its also 850 bucks. I dont mind spending the money but if I can make the stock one work I'm all for that.

Whats the disadvantage of the stock one?

Thanks Mike

1ofakind79

Reaction score
You may have to switch the gears or the axles to get the fuel economy you want. A lot of the v10 Excursions and trucks have 4.30 gear ratio which won't be 12V friendly. I had a 12V swapped truck a few years ago and I switched from 4.10s to 3.55s and it was just right for cruising on the highway and I still had the power to tow 10K

TurboM700

Reaction score
Yea thats what I have been reading. Thats kinda of a bummer deal. Will just keep my eye open on Cl for some take off axles I guess.

Latest posts

Members online