got some parts in

blackcloudpsd03

Reaction score
I went with 160/75's injectors and I'm giving gear head a shot at tuning.. I'm still debaiting on turbos.. I Dont want to put too many after market doo dads on it ( for resale value down the road) I was looking into a 38r . the only thing I'll need is the turbo and manifold plus my time.

Whats difference from the gtp38r and the gt38r? Or would bd's turbo thruster work fine? What kind of dp would I need? SD? I found a deal for bellowed pipes for 184$

blackcloudpsd03

Reaction score
Off topic question . I have a bench seat.. Can I switch them out for the ones with the center console not the captain chairs . 40-20-40? I forget

ghohouston

Reaction score
to run a 38r on a obs, which would be my choice, you need 99.5-2003 super duty parts, the early 99 parts wont let a 38r work.
you will need the 3 inch intake plenums
up pipes
turbo pedestal
up pipe collector and up pipes
at least one super duty exhaust manifold (dont remember which side)
downpipe flange (i think, but not positive on that one)
either a 3 inch van "intake y" or spider, or a super duty 3 inch spider.

i think that is all of it

i also dont think any of the sd stuff will fit if you still have the stock obs fuel bowl and pump

Last edited:

ghohouston

Reaction score
Off topic question . I have a bench seat.. Can I switch them out for the ones with the center console not the captain chairs . 40-20-40? I forget

it depends what cab configurations the seats came from. obs crew cab and regular cab seats are interchangeable. as far as i know, the extended cab seats will not interchange with the other cab styles.

blackcloudpsd03

Reaction score
Its a sclb. Ugh I hate this seat. The arm rest is tiny and it doesn't even work as an arm rest.

I want to say its the drivers side manifold. I was thinking about doing the van 3" y.. For right now. I already have the plenums. And pedistal. Is there a way to run the non gated housing?

Is there a good picture thread I couldn't find one. It showed 2 pics then it got derailed big time

ghohouston

Reaction score
i think tom s is one of the few that actually has a 38r on an obs, you may ask him.

and i have to ask this, because some people have different abbreviations. when you say sclb, do you mean single cab, or super cab?

old man dave

Reaction score
Single cab is called RCLB, Regular Cab Long Bed
Extra cab is called SCLB, SuperCab Long Bed
Crewcab is called CCLB, CrewCab Long Bed.

RC and CC have same style floor pan so front seats interchange easily.

SC cabs have different floor pan, same as Full size Broncos so those front seats interchange easily. Also SC and Bronco seats pivot for rear seat access.

Some have swapped in Super Duty seats with the same basic fit guidelines but they do take some modifying of the seat brackets.

Of course, anything will fit anything if you work hard enough.:hammer:

Last edited:

blackcloudpsd03

Reaction score
That was an awesome write up
I remember putting t4 pipes on my 6.0 I thought it would be easy.. Yeahhh right. It looks like it can be a big project.

Well I need to make up my mind because its leaking pretty good . is the d66 a good turbo? Are they bb? I know. James at barder turbo makes one.

ghohouston

Reaction score
i have no personal d66 experience, but i havent heard many great things about them lately. when i first got on these forums a few years ago, they were decently popular.

blackcloudpsd03

Reaction score
Seats like this. I didn't know you can put kr or Harley seats in? That's badass.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 48

blackcloudpsd03

Reaction score
i have no personal d66 experience, but i havent heard many great things about them lately. when i first got on these forums a few years ago, they were decently popular.
So what are guys running t4's ? I know they dont clear upLOL there's a kid with 238/100's and a d66 its a smoke pig...

ghohouston

Reaction score
yes, those are the standard 40/20/40 obs seats, which you will more than likely pay an arm and a leg for, or you can find a nice set of lightning seats like i did, for a couple hundred more, and they bolt right in. or you can go the super duty seat route.

blackcloudpsd03

Reaction score
How can I smooth out the idle. Would running bigger diameter fuel lines help or the high pressure cross over tube?? Help on my brothers SD .

I guess I need to get rid of my ff because my intake plenum won't fit?!? Tighwad mod?

MOOSE_MACHINE

Reaction score
I have a sd turbo setup on my truck. You need a driver side manifold, up pipes, collector, pedestal, spider and plenums. If your going this route it's a good time to put in a intercooler because a sd spider is probably easier to find. I don't know if the mechanical fuel system will fit. I did away with it when I did the switch.
66a083f35aa67de5504eb6065f87d613.jpg

Nick
2004 NR Commander 21'
5.7 kodiak Hamilton pump
1997 f-350 cclb zf5 160/80, t500, diy bellowed up pipes, 6.0 ic, 38r, diy e-fuel, isspro gauges

ghohouston

Reaction score
How can I smooth out the idle. Would running bigger diameter fuel lines help or the high pressure cross over tube?? Help on my brothers SD .

I guess I need to get rid of my ff because my intake plenum won't fit?!? Tighwad mod?

If you don't idle smooth, you need to figure out why, and I don't recommend the cross over tube or larger fuel lines, they aren't worth the money. As for 3" plenums if that's what you plan to do, I do believe you have to get rid of the obs fuel pump and bowl.

old man dave

Reaction score
If you don't idle smooth, you need to figure out why, and I don't recommend the cross over tube or larger fuel lines, they aren't worth the money. As for 3" plenums if that's what you plan to do, I do believe you have to get rid of the obs fuel pump and bowl.

SD 3"plenums fit with a slight dent at the drivers side rear for clearance. No alteration for passenger side.

Fuel cannister and mech pump goes only if you use Late SD turbo setup. Can use E-99 compressor manifold adaptor (y-piece for intercooler) with stock OBS turbo and stock fuel system.

There are 1.0 a/r non-wastegated housings for the GTP-38R turbo.

Run your stock turbo first then decide if you need a diferent turbo. I used a 1.0 stock turbo for towing a 10k trailer without any problems with stage II injectors at the 385 hp level tow tune.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online