Deleting in Ontario

Coopers_Dad

Reaction score
Is it worth the risk anymore? I've got a friend who's 6.4 has been deleted for years and says he hasn't been bothered until recently when the MTO pulled him on the 400 for smoke pulling his trailer. The guy was cool he understood why he did it but still gave him a warning.

Considering I got pulled in by the MTO towing my 5th wheel this summer I'm a bit worried about getting fined. My truck has a commercial tag if that matters.

My worry isn't the yearly inspection, I can get past that. It's getting pulled for smoke. When I get pulled in this summer the inspector warned me that they would fine any modern truck that wasn't clean.

Stupid question but is there a delete tune that will still run pretty clean?

Last edited:

verifine

Reaction score
Gearhead tunes run pretty much smoke free from what I have heard. Going to upgrade to them myself soon. I am deleted here in Ontario for the past two years and havent had any issues. Then again my county doesnt do emissions testing :)

sootie

Reaction score
Gearhead tunes are as good as it gets.

deleting in Ontario is getting riskier by the month. the mto is not the issue, it is the ministry of the environment. they sent 30 people to school for emission systems and are pulling every body over even import tuners and stock tailpipe trucks. basically if your truck is newer than 07, be prepared to get pulled over and checked.

minimum 700.00 fine and 30 days to return the vehicle to stock.

the MTO worries about smoke output as their job is vehicle safety. i bet the warning was for smoke not for lack of emissions equipment.

Coopers_Dad

Reaction score
Sootie, I guess it's not really worth in for me living in the Niagara Region. There are known aggressive inspectors pulling trucks for roadside checks. When I got pulled this summer on the 403 they had me pop the hood and asked before if it was all stock. I said yes and they still wanted to check. I guess they were looking for an EGR delete. My plan was to keep a stock tailpipe and use a spare set of cans which I can have modified to run a concealed straight pipe. But the sound is going to give it away if the smoke doesn't.

I guess I'll save the money and spend it on a lift and wheels.

Last edited:

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Gearhead tunes run pretty much smoke free from what I have heard. Going to upgrade to them myself soon. I am deleted here in Ontario for the past two years and havent had any issues. Then again my county doesnt do emissions testing :)

they can be driven smoke free, but they are not smoke free...

I have smoke-free 6.4 tuning FWIW

sootie

Reaction score
Sootie, I guess it's not really worth in for me living in the Niagara Region. There are known aggressive inspectors pulling trucks for roadside checks. When I got pulled this summer on the 403 they had me pop the hood and asked before if it was all stock. I said yes and they still wanted to check. I guess they were looking for an EGR delete. My plan was to keep a stock tailpipe and use a spare set of cans which I can have modified to run a concealed straight pipe. But the sound is going to give it away if the smoke doesn't.

I guess I'll save the money and spend it on a lift and wheels.

were you pulling a trailer at the time?

johnp115

Reaction score
How do you get a dpf hollowed out....

5ae39dfc131aff86a54980f1f69651f2.jpg
360dfd6818e7b62f5c8055d1b6ae378d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08sixfour12

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer but I think I'm stuck with stock.

You're not stuck with stock - I lived in Ontario all my life. Lived in northern Ontario where there's no emissions testing - had an 08 duramax, lifted, tuned and deleted never got pulled over once by the MTO and drove DT Toronto/400/407 to mississauga many times.

sootie

Reaction score
You're not stuck with stock - I lived in Ontario all my life. Lived in northern Ontario where there's no emissions testing - had an 08 duramax, lifted, tuned and deleted never got pulled over once by the MTO and drove DT Toronto/400/407 to mississauga many times.

the MTO isnt the issue-it is the Ministry of the environment. i see them around and know several people in the GTA that have been popped...this year.

Coopers_Dad

Reaction score
Well it happened again. I got pulled by the MOE/MTO this morning coming back from Hamilton on HWY 20. I was pulling my friends trailer empty. Again they asked me if I had any modifications done to the truck. The MTO guy checked over the trailer and the MOE guy looked at the motor and under the truck.

I asked why they were interested playing dumb and the MOE guy said they are cracking down on emissions tampering. He said that they will fine for each tampered device now not just a single ticket. I'm not sure if this is true but I didn't bother pressing.

Just as I was wrapping up they pulled in a newish Dodge 3500 dually who had a huge MBRP exhaust. As loud as it was I can't believe it was a DPF back.

Based on where I got pulled I think they were after farmers and contractors.

08sixfour12

Reaction score
the MTO isnt the issue-it is the Ministry of the environment. i see them around and know several people in the GTA that have been popped...this year.

Still, never got pulled over... ever by either. Must have been lucky or must have been the pink on my old truck. I guess they're cracking down more in the southern part of ON. That sucks.

When I got my EFI/DSP5 switch installed on the truck, the prongs were backwards so I was driving on the 400 for a good amount just around Newmarket on a smoky tune ... haha that was fun.

Latest posts

Members online